GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Removing the Front Door Stainless Strip

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
bocoogto

Removing the Front Door Stainless Strip Empty
PostSubject: Removing the Front Door Stainless Strip   Removing the Front Door Stainless Strip Icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2018 9:12 pm

I damaged the driver's side stainless today and will either get it straightened or find one in a scrap yard. Problem is, I can get the all the clips free except the front one. There is a plastic trim clip held by a 1/2" hex acorn nut. I cannot get a wrench on the hex because the door hinge is in the way.

Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
bocoogto

PostSubject: Re: Removing the Front Door Stainless Strip   Removing the Front Door Stainless Strip Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2018 11:38 am

I noticed there is a notch in the folded over bottom edge of the stainless trim near the front. It looks like you could slide the stainless forward enough to disengage the plastic trim clip to remove the stainless. Is this the procedure to remove the stainless from the front doors?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Removing the Front Door Stainless Strip   Removing the Front Door Stainless Strip Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2018 11:16 pm

You must remove the nut. The clip is held in by flanges that are bent to lock it place. A socket with a universal and extension should work. I believe you can get, it without the universal. I use an 11mm socket, a 12mm seems too big, but the 1/2 inch may work (I think the 1/2 inch is the same size as the 12mm).
Back to top Go down
bocoogto

PostSubject: Re: Removing the Front Door Stainless Strip   Removing the Front Door Stainless Strip Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2018 8:46 am

Darn! I was hoping there is another way. A 1/2” socket fits on the nearby acorn nuts, but I’ve not been able to get onto the front one holding the stainless trim clip. Oh well, I’ll try again.

Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Removing the Front Door Stainless Strip   Removing the Front Door Stainless Strip Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2018 10:20 am

If it is a 93+ door, you may be able to remove the stop pins and open the door wider.
Back to top Go down
bocoogto

PostSubject: Re: Removing the Front Door Stainless Strip   Removing the Front Door Stainless Strip Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2018 12:03 pm

It's a '95. Thanks for the suggestions.
Back to top Go down
bocoogto

PostSubject: Re: Removing the Front Door Stainless Strip   Removing the Front Door Stainless Strip Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2018 11:10 am

We got it off last night, finally. It's a 7/16" hex Acorn nut. We used a 1/4" drive socket with only a ratchet, no extension.

Now, I'm wondering how we're going to put it back together--that front stud is really buried behind the door hinge! Will report how it was done after we get to it!

On another note, my plastic window guides on the passenger door broke last week, so I pulled off the inner door panel and put the Dorman round ones in place. For those of you who have done this, have you wondered why the access holes in the inner door panel are located where the areas needing repair are NOT? Getting a C clamp or pliers on the window mechanism to pinch the balls into the guides is a real challenge. How in the world does a glass company replace the side windows when necessary?
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Removing the Front Door Stainless Strip   Removing the Front Door Stainless Strip Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2018 11:48 am

Dick, we've got money on you, we know you can do it!

Tom
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Removing the Front Door Stainless Strip   Removing the Front Door Stainless Strip Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2018 9:48 pm

A sometimes you must use an open end or box end wrench, and go little by little.

Depending on where the mechanism is stopped, the parts are easier to access. Sometimes you must move it an inch at a time, until you can get to the parts. The front and back of a given regulator may have different positions for easier access.
Back to top Go down
bocoogto

PostSubject: Re: Removing the Front Door Stainless Strip   Removing the Front Door Stainless Strip Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2018 11:52 pm

"Depending on where the mechanism is stopped, the parts are easier to access. Sometimes you must move it an inch at a time, until you can get to the parts. The front and back of a given regulator may have different positions for easier access."

I've done front and rear door windows on three RMW's. Trust me, there is no good position for access to the window slider channels. Some of them were replaced easily with access enough to use a C-clamp to install the ball into the plastic. Others require just the right position to allow a pliers of Vise-Grips to squeeze the ball into the plastic. A job that should take 10 minutes takes me over an hour before I get the two sliders installed.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Removing the Front Door Stainless Strip   Removing the Front Door Stainless Strip Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2018 7:12 am

My average is about a half hour per door. I usually use an assortment of pliers and channel locks. The C clamps are way to cumbersome, and the vice grips are too bulky. If you place the regulator in certain positions, it is easier to access the joints.

No one said this should be a 10 minute job, so taking a half hour to an hour is not unexpected. Once you have put the rollers in, it should be a once and done job as well.
Back to top Go down
bocoogto

PostSubject: Re: Removing the Front Door Stainless Strip   Removing the Front Door Stainless Strip Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2018 8:06 pm

Got 'r done! The front stud nut was not so difficult to install as it was to remove the old one. We're back to a den-free door trim strip.

Thank you.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Removing the Front Door Stainless Strip   Removing the Front Door Stainless Strip Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Removing the Front Door Stainless Strip
Page 1 of 1