GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

RPM stumbling/engine dying ???

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
MildBill

RPM stumbling/engine dying ??? Empty
PostSubject: RPM stumbling/engine dying ???   RPM stumbling/engine dying ??? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2018 7:17 pm

91 roadmaster 5.0. When I start it the RPM's king of stumble for a few seconds and then smooth out and idles fine. Go down the road and come to a stop and the RPM's again stumble and she dies? I cleaned the ground at the thermostat as told by Fred. Still having the same issue. Any help/input would be great.
Thanks
MildBill
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: RPM stumbling/engine dying ???   RPM stumbling/engine dying ??? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2018 7:27 pm

My first guess is to look at the fuel pump. The hose from the pump to the output line may be cracked. Another possibility is the pressure regulator in the TBI. It might even be a partially clogged cat. Tihese cars are getting old, and the long term replacement items are starting to show up. How many miles are on it?
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: RPM stumbling/engine dying ???   RPM stumbling/engine dying ??? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2018 10:12 pm

Idle control motor and air passage in throttle body.

Bill
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: RPM stumbling/engine dying ???   RPM stumbling/engine dying ??? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2018 10:17 pm

There are a couple of other things to look at too. PCV passage in the TBI, and check for operation of the PCV valve itself. Vacuum leaks anywhere...the hoses are getting brittle.
Back to top Go down
RoadKutter

PostSubject: Re: RPM stumbling/engine dying ???   RPM stumbling/engine dying ??? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2019 12:03 am

Having the same issues. I recently had to replace the motor. Replacement was a used engine out of a 91 caprice, but I swapped all original bits over including the tbi I just cleaned and rebuilt. I find that a quick jab on the throttle will cause a surge or sometimes while at a stop light it will pulse like the car wants to move. Usually happens just before the car fully warms up. Is it the IAC or the tranny?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: RPM stumbling/engine dying ???   RPM stumbling/engine dying ??? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2019 8:42 am

Check the hose in the gas tank for cracking. Check for any cracked vacuum lines.

It does not indicate anything is wrong with the trans.
Back to top Go down
MildBill

PostSubject: Re: RPM stumbling/engine dying ???   RPM stumbling/engine dying ??? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2019 6:50 pm

I have cleaned and rebuilt the throttle body. New screens, gaskets, O rings and press reg. Found some carbon crud in the PVC port , cleaned all that out. Replaced the PVC valve and hose. Found a broken vac line going to the MAF sensor. Fixed that, still having the same problem.
Im thinking the next step is dropping the tank, replacing the pump and sending unit and hoses. I hope to do that in the next few weeks. I did however order a set of Mastercraft 255/60/15 tires, if all works out I will have matching wheels and new shoes on my boat first of the week.
Back to top Go down
MildBill

PostSubject: Re: RPM stumbling/engine dying ???   RPM stumbling/engine dying ??? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2019 6:58 pm

Question about the cat. 186k on the car. Should I get rid of it and the 02 sensor. Or have a new cat and sensor installed?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: RPM stumbling/engine dying ???   RPM stumbling/engine dying ??? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2019 9:59 pm

Check the sensor before replacing it. If you do not have inspections, you can delete the cat.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RPM stumbling/engine dying ???   RPM stumbling/engine dying ??? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

RPM stumbling/engine dying ???
Page 1 of 1