GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hi from Ohio

Go down 
+3
Andebe
81X11
Grizwald
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Grizwald

Hi from Ohio Empty
PostSubject: Hi from Ohio   Hi from Ohio Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2018 7:35 pm

Hi, my name is Dan and my ride is a '94 Estate Wagon. When the kids were growing up my wife and I were BSA den leaders for many years. The kids started in first grade in Cub Scouts and eventually became Boy Scouts. In all we had over the years about 12 boys in our den including mine. There became eventually a time when camping started playing a large part in our scouting and we needed a large unit to haul kids and equipment around. I hate mini vans(only because they are so common) and wanted something different. It came down to a Roadmaster or a Caprice. I chose the Roadmaster for its Vista-Roof.
I bought it on ebay from a man in Waterloo,NY(MostlyUnusualCars??). He was at the time travelling across the country and offered to give us a ride to Waterloo. He picked us up in Columbus and took us all the way there. We paid for the car and signed papers at 2:30 in the morning. On our way back we drove an unfamiliar(and l learned later) and very unsafe car back along the Great Lakes in February through a lake affect blizzard. It was only 5 degrees out on the turnpike and such a white out that I could not see past the hood ornament. And then the low washer fluid light came on. I was never so afraid for our lives before this. We finally were able to turn off and head south and out of the blizzard.
We made it home safely.
Now ten years later the Grizwald is still with us and has gone on many scouting adventures, and camping trips across the east and south and mid-west pulling our camper, and wood hauling trips for our fireplace and on and on and on. It was originally owned by a funeral home in Connecticut I think and when after getting it home I was sweeping out the load floor I found flower petals under the seats. I was told it was used to transport family and flowers to the grave. She's got minor scrapes and scuffs and has been in two accidents(neither caused by myself) but has been repaired both times. I love her dearly and drive her very often.
I removed the cats and installed custom off-road pipes several years ago along with Magnaflow mufflers. She has a very snorty sound. I also installed a custom rear sway bar, an a-pillar Stewart Warner guage set and an Autometer tach on the column. Outside though she still looks completely stock.
Well that's enough rambling. It's good to be here and I will now say goodnight.
Dan
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

Hi from Ohio Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from Ohio   Hi from Ohio Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2018 9:54 am

Welcome Dan! I really enjoyed reading your post, and hearing about the adventures and family/scouting adventures you've had in your wagon. That's exactly what these are made for, and love hearing about memnories being made.

I personally grew up with wagons, and when I had kids, I wanted them to have the "way-way-back" experience too.
Hi from Ohio 33368910
Hi from Ohio 11001510

Glad to have you here. This is a great group of folks, and the forum is wonderful for locating parts or figuring out common repairs and upgrades.

Post some pics of your Roady when you can, and again Welcome and thanks for the story!

-Texas Mike
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

Hi from Ohio Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from Ohio   Hi from Ohio Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2018 11:45 am

Best intro post of 2018. Welcome to the forum,like Mike said post them pics up when you can.
Back to top Go down
red280

Hi from Ohio Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from Ohio   Hi from Ohio Icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2018 6:02 pm

Welcome. Great to hear about these beasts being used for their intended purposes. Sounds like you know how to use a wagon!
Back to top Go down
JeffY

JeffY

Hi from Ohio Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from Ohio   Hi from Ohio Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2018 11:03 am

Welcome, and what a good story.
Back to top Go down
KCClark

Hi from Ohio Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from Ohio   Hi from Ohio Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2018 1:22 pm

Hey Dan,
If you would like to hang out with some fellow B-Body owners, OASIS is having our Christmas dinner on December 8th. We are eating at Local Roots in Powell. Not sure yet if we are meeting at 5 or 6.
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

Hi from Ohio Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from Ohio   Hi from Ohio Icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2018 5:06 am

Hi Dan,

A belated welcome from Geneva, NY!  You bought your car from Fred Lesinski (Ruphrax), Father of Wagonfest in New York.  Fred has moved to South Carolina but still sells parts and an occasional nice wagon on eBay under the seller-name "Mostly_Unusual_Cars". See: https://www.ebay.com/usr/mostly_unusual_cars?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

You should keep an eye on the forum thread for Wagonfest NY 2019.  It will be sometime in late July, likely the 3rd weekend.
Back to top Go down
KCClark

Hi from Ohio Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from Ohio   Hi from Ohio Icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2018 11:56 am

KCClark wrote:
OASIS is having our Christmas dinner on December 8th. We are eating at Local Roots in Powell. Not sure yet if we are meeting at 5 or 6.

We are meeting at 6. Today is my wife's birthday so I'm providing a DQ cotton candy blizzard cake.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hi from Ohio Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi from Ohio   Hi from Ohio Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hi from Ohio
Page 1 of 1