GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

RMW Driver's Side Fly Away Panel?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
bigdigler

RMW Driver's Side Fly Away Panel?  Empty
PostSubject: RMW Driver's Side Fly Away Panel?    RMW Driver's Side Fly Away Panel?  Icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2019 9:27 pm

Does anyone have a RMW Driver's Side Fly Away panel? Hopefully in burgundy? Mine flew off going down the highway earlier today. pale
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: RMW Driver's Side Fly Away Panel?    RMW Driver's Side Fly Away Panel?  Icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2019 9:47 pm

I have one, but it is not burgundy. I would like $50 shipped. I accept paypal at jfkiehl@ij.net. If you are going to send it friends and family, send your address as a note/message.
Back to top Go down
bigdigler

PostSubject: Re: RMW Driver's Side Fly Away Panel?    RMW Driver's Side Fly Away Panel?  Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2019 7:04 pm

I'm interested! Do you have any pictures of it? Color?
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: RMW Driver's Side Fly Away Panel?    RMW Driver's Side Fly Away Panel?  Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2019 10:07 pm

Take your other one off ASAP, scrape the foam off and reattach it with windshield urethane adhesive.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: RMW Driver's Side Fly Away Panel?    RMW Driver's Side Fly Away Panel?  Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2019 10:47 pm

sherlock9c1 wrote:
Take your other one off ASAP, scrape the foam off and reattach it with windshield urethane adhesive.

Good advice.
Back to top Go down
Fix Until Broke

PostSubject: Re: RMW Driver's Side Fly Away Panel?    RMW Driver's Side Fly Away Panel?  Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2019 11:00 pm

Would someone be able to show a picture or give an explanation of what a "Fly Away Panel" is?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: RMW Driver's Side Fly Away Panel?    RMW Driver's Side Fly Away Panel?  Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2019 2:14 am

The fly away panel is a plastic trim that fits on the rear of the back door on a 91 OCC, or 91-96 Roadmaster wagon. There are three pins, and two screw on mounts at the top and bottom. The three pins are glued to the part, and the glue does not hold well after years on the road, so they detach from the panel, and the screw on mounts at the ends are not strong enough to hold the panel in the wind. When driving, the air gets under the panel, and it pops off of the door, and is usually lost or run over.
Back to top Go down
Fix Until Broke

PostSubject: Re: RMW Driver's Side Fly Away Panel?    RMW Driver's Side Fly Away Panel?  Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2019 8:38 am

Thanks - Is this it, circled in red?

RMW Driver's Side Fly Away Panel?  Flyaway-panel
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: RMW Driver's Side Fly Away Panel?    RMW Driver's Side Fly Away Panel?  Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2019 9:15 am

Yes that is the part.
Back to top Go down
bigdigler

PostSubject: Re: RMW Driver's Side Fly Away Panel?    RMW Driver's Side Fly Away Panel?  Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2019 10:31 am

Fred: any luck with that picture? I can PayPal you today but I just want to make sure it’s in decent shape first
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: RMW Driver's Side Fly Away Panel?    RMW Driver's Side Fly Away Panel?  Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2019 11:44 am

I have been trying to shake a cough from a cold. It has left me "washed out". I must go to my dad's later today, and I will take a picture. I would like your email, or phone number to send you a picture.
Back to top Go down
bigdigler

PostSubject: Re: RMW Driver's Side Fly Away Panel?    RMW Driver's Side Fly Away Panel?  Icon_minitimeSat May 11, 2019 12:00 pm

Bummer. Sorry to hear that! I’ll message you my cell for when you get time
Back to top Go down
Oscar73

PostSubject: Re: RMW Driver's Side Fly Away Panel?    RMW Driver's Side Fly Away Panel?  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2020 12:30 am

Just to illustrate, here's what the door looks like WITHOUT the sail panel. Just a bunch of dried up sticky goo, and the retainers for the pins which glue into the sail panel. I used JB weld to attach the pins, and it seems to be consensus that butyl window adhesive should replace the dried up sticky goo.

RMW Driver's Side Fly Away Panel?  Sailpa10
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: RMW Driver's Side Fly Away Panel?    RMW Driver's Side Fly Away Panel?  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2020 7:17 am

To get the window urethane to stick, the surface must be absolutely clean, and roughed up with coarse sandpaper.
Back to top Go down
Fix Until Broke

PostSubject: Re: RMW Driver's Side Fly Away Panel?    RMW Driver's Side Fly Away Panel?  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2020 7:46 am

In addition to what Fred said, they make a primer for the window urethane that is absolutely worth it.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Primer/?N=5002385+3293242055&rt=rud

I've used it and also not used it and it's the difference between something you can peal off with your fingers and something that will break before the adhesive lets go.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: RMW Driver's Side Fly Away Panel?    RMW Driver's Side Fly Away Panel?  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2020 7:48 am

I recommend it for installing rear quarter windows, so they do not leak.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RMW Driver's Side Fly Away Panel?    RMW Driver's Side Fly Away Panel?  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

RMW Driver's Side Fly Away Panel?
Page 1 of 1