GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Replacing condenser

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
silverfox103
silverfox103

Replacing condenser Empty
PostSubject: Replacing condenser   Replacing condenser Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2019 2:31 pm

In the middle of replacing radiator and AC condenser on my 94 CC wagon. Bought the condenser from Rock Auto, middle of the pack. Well, the condenser is about an inch short of what the old one was. The rubber craddles that supports the condenser don't line up correctly either. The feet of the condenser on the original one rectangular, where the new one, the feet are round. I looked at the others on Rock Auto and it looks like there round also, including GM factory replacement. I'm guessing the factory is in China also.

I didn't want to buy made in China, but that's what I was sent. Anyone have any words of wisdom. I have thought about bringing the condenser to a radiator shop and have them fix it.

Tom
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Replacing condenser   Replacing condenser Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2019 11:40 pm

If it is too short, there is no fixing it, unless you make new mounts. Taller lower mounts would be a one step fix.  

When trying to repair my AC, the nut for the upper line stuck on the hose, and I had to twist the line off of the condenser to get the line off. I was fortunate and found a low mileage car in a junk yard that had a good AC system, and got the radiator and condenser for $60. They are like new with 81K on them. I installed the parts, and found the weak link in my AC system...the compressor blew a seal. Time to replace the compressor...try to fix something, and it will always bite you in the butt.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Replacing condenser   Replacing condenser Icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2019 8:09 pm

Thanks Fred

I could move the mount / cushion 1", top and bottom, and that probably would do the trick. Or, I may try a radiator repair shop. They advertise being able to fix them. I will call them either tomorrow or Tuesday.

Tom
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Replacing condenser   Replacing condenser Icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2019 9:07 pm

From what you stated in the first post, you only need a 1 inch spacer from the bottom.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Replacing condenser   Replacing condenser Icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2019 10:16 pm

The height is OK, it's the width that is 3/4 to an inch short. I can move the support cradle over that amount and I should be OK. I just like to work with the correct stuff.

tom
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Replacing condenser   Replacing condenser Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Replacing condenser
Page 1 of 1