GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Tailgate ajar

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
BuickRM

Tailgate ajar Empty
PostSubject: Tailgate ajar   Tailgate ajar Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2020 7:04 am

Guys,

on my BRM Wagon, the tailgate closes really well. Nevertheless, if i don´t slam the gate into lock being afraid the car would collapse there´s on the display "gate ajar". So I have to slam again much to the joy of the neighbourhood. Is there any possibility to adjust something to cancel the message ( should be of course staying in operation, but only if the gate is really ajar.) Any advices appreciated, thanks !
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

Tailgate ajar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tailgate ajar   Tailgate ajar Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2020 1:14 pm

Ah, yes, the super slam. Well known by most wagon owners. The easiest remedy is to only open like a tailgate, this will prevent the gate ajar message. When you really need it, open like a barn door, and be ready to do the super slam. On my wagons, I found UPWARD pressure on the gate as it swung closed helped.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Tailgate ajar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tailgate ajar   Tailgate ajar Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2020 7:52 pm

The top latch/hinge on the driver's side wears after years of use. You can loosen the upper hinge from the body, and move it a little bit to the driver's side by pulling up on the gate. You do not have to move it much, because the distance is amplified at the passenger's side latch. 1/16 inch at the hinge = about 1/4 inch at the latch. There is a switch on the bottom driver's side latch/hinge (internal) that opens when the gate is closed. It can not be adjusted. The only possibility of changing it is to put a thin sleeve over the arm of the switch.
Back to top Go down
BuickRM

Tailgate ajar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tailgate ajar   Tailgate ajar Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2020 10:59 am

Thanks a lot, Fred, I will try it and report again !
Back to top Go down
BuickRM

Tailgate ajar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tailgate ajar   Tailgate ajar Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2020 5:38 am

Would there be new hinge parts available ( Rock Auto) to be replaced? To get first the hinge repaired in order to cover the gate ajar message?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Tailgate ajar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tailgate ajar   Tailgate ajar Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2020 8:33 am

You should only need wire end clips, or a couple of push nuts to replace them. The rest of the hinge parts should still be serviceable. There are few if any parts available new. It is up to your ability to improvise if there is an actual broken part.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tailgate ajar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tailgate ajar   Tailgate ajar Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tailgate ajar
Page 1 of 1