GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Stutter/shake at speed

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Sprocket

Sprocket

Stutter/shake at speed Empty
PostSubject: Stutter/shake at speed   Stutter/shake at speed Icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 10:55 pm

On my 3K journey to WF I noticed on my L03 91 OCC a shake when I'm in overdrive and give it throttle.

It was most noticeable when pouring on the coals at the bottom of a hill, the car would shake real hard until I would get the down shift or let up on the gas. On the return trip, the same thing happens on flat ground when stepping on it to pass.

It shakes and stutters until you get it to down shift. I started to Downshift manually when over 75 mph as the kickdown really didn't want to engage at theat speed.

Is this a sign that the tranny is on the way out?

If I floor it from a low speed it'll kick down and take off and run up through the gears no problem, it only happens when I push on the gas at highway speed. If I eaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase the gas on it won't do it, but much more than a feather touch and it'll start to stutter/shudder.

low speed driving, no problems

Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Stutter/shake at speed   Stutter/shake at speed Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 12:24 am

Do a set of plugs and wires before you jump to the transmission. My 2-cents.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Stutter/shake at speed   Stutter/shake at speed Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 9:56 pm

Good point. I haven't even looked at that part of the car, lol.

For all I know they are all still original at 143K (hey, it's possible my wife's LT1 had 135K and EVERYTHING under the hood was original.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Stutter/shake at speed   Stutter/shake at speed Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 11:39 pm

That's terrifying. lmao
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Stutter/shake at speed   Stutter/shake at speed Icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2010 7:05 am

yeah, whenever the Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) is locked, you feel every little engine anomaly. Best to check/fix that stuff first, then go after the transmission.
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Stutter/shake at speed   Stutter/shake at speed Icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2010 8:12 am

Perhaps the TCC is not unlocking as it should? Just a thought.
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name

PostSubject: Mine Too   Stutter/shake at speed Icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2010 6:49 pm

Yea my 69000 mile OCC is doing the exact same thing and it is probably the torque convertor getting a little tempermental about unlocking.I had a TCI lockup switch on my car and that really made it shudder when unlocking.Removed the switch and it still shudders the same way but just a little bit compared to before.Had the filter and fluid changed at 30000 miles but that was in 1998 according to the receipts so going to try that first.
Everything tune up related was replaced less than 2000 miles ago so dont think thats it.I am going to reset the TV cable on the throttle cable and hope for the best.
Flasheroo
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stutter/shake at speed   Stutter/shake at speed Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stutter/shake at speed
Page 1 of 1