GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Frame Swap, Box body on Bubble rails.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
scooterzach

Frame Swap, Box body on Bubble rails. Empty
PostSubject: Frame Swap, Box body on Bubble rails.   Frame Swap, Box body on Bubble rails. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2020 8:05 pm

I have a LS swapped '84 Caprice that had an incident with a phone pole. When I tried installing a new nose I discovered the frames bent behind the engine x-member. Neighborhood body shop suggests getting another frame. There's no 1977-90 frames available at bone yards within 400 miles of me and a few 1994-96 close by. Other than the gen II LT1 motor mounts are the later frames different? Will my '84 bolt up?

Thanks for any help,
Z
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Frame Swap, Box body on Bubble rails.   Frame Swap, Box body on Bubble rails. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2020 8:26 pm

Not sure if the rear portion is the same width as the 84. The frames for the 91-96 are pretty much the same, even the motor mounts. You should be able to use the same mounts that you have in your car now. You may have to notch the frame for the AC compressor, but the rest should bolt up. GM used the same frame for many years, and the engine mounts will fit any small, or big block for any year up to 96. The trans crossmember may be different, but a couple of holes could fix that.

You should put your location in your information/signature.

scooterzach likes this post

Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Frame Swap, Box body on Bubble rails.   Frame Swap, Box body on Bubble rails. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2020 7:56 am

Where are you located? There are a few square body wagons being parted out here in central Florida.

Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Frame Swap, Box body on Bubble rails.   Frame Swap, Box body on Bubble rails. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2020 6:56 pm

77-96 body can be swapped. Wagon for wagon. Sedan for sedan (or coupe!). Frame differences on the later cars: trans crossmember, notch for low mount AC (LT1 cars), frame braces behind the front wheels.

Back to top Go down
scooterzach

PostSubject: Re: Frame Swap, Box body on Bubble rails.   Frame Swap, Box body on Bubble rails. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2020 8:07 pm

Thanks! I'm in Massachusetts so finding a clean frame is going to be a problem. 91-96 will open things up.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Frame Swap, Box body on Bubble rails.   Frame Swap, Box body on Bubble rails. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2020 9:34 pm

You might consider taking a vacation to FL for the purpose of acquiring a frame. There is a small chance that the cars in the junk yards might be from the north, but most are southern cars. If you have a contact locally, they may be able to check on the car for you, so you do not waste a trip.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Frame Swap, Box body on Bubble rails.   Frame Swap, Box body on Bubble rails. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Frame Swap, Box body on Bubble rails.
Page 1 of 1