GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

carbon fiber moon style hubcaps

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

carbon fiber moon style hubcaps Empty
PostSubject: carbon fiber moon style hubcaps   carbon fiber moon style hubcaps Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2021 9:53 pm

Tuesday I am endeavoring to make 4 moon style hubcaps from carbon fiber, and 12 flanges to mount them. I will use a hand layup without bagging, so I hope I get them smooth, and bubble free. They are going to be 2-3 plies of 5 oz cloth in a polyester resin. A couple of coats of clear satin paint will make them match the color of the wheels.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: carbon fiber moon style hubcaps   carbon fiber moon style hubcaps Icon_minitimeThu Jun 17, 2021 12:03 pm

My second effort was not right either. I could not get the bag to seal, and therefore did not get a good molding. I found some large ziplock bags that will fit over the whole mold, so I will try again when I get them. I did try it with 4 plies, and it is really light, even compared with aluminum. The stiffness is incredible as well.
Back to top Go down
Isurf

Isurf

PostSubject: Re: carbon fiber moon style hubcaps   carbon fiber moon style hubcaps Icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2022 9:31 am

Were these moons for the factory wheels? Did you have success?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: carbon fiber moon style hubcaps   carbon fiber moon style hubcaps Icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2022 8:37 pm

They are custom for the Raceline wheels I bought, and I do not think they would fit anything else. I made custom carbon fiber mounts for the wheels that must be glued onto the rim. I have been working to get the car back on the road after the engine took a dump, and have not had the inclination to do any more work on them until that is accomplished. I am also going to make a new carbon fiber hood once I get the car running again. I have some repairs/upgrades to do on the White Elephant that I have been postponing once the 91 is running.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: carbon fiber moon style hubcaps   carbon fiber moon style hubcaps Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

carbon fiber moon style hubcaps
Page 1 of 1