GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Leaking Vista Glass

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Buickman1

Buickman1

Leaking Vista Glass Empty
PostSubject: Leaking Vista Glass   Leaking Vista Glass Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2021 8:18 am

I was driving the wagon a few days ago and ran into a major frog strangler (downpour), when I felt water dripping on my back. I couldn't get a good look at where the water was coming from but it was from the vista window. I am planning to remove the glass this weekend and was wondering if there is anything specific I should be careful about when pulling it off.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Leaking Vista Glass   Leaking Vista Glass Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2021 9:31 am

I have done an R&R, it will be a PITA! The glass is held in by urethane. You can only cut it from the inside. If you try to cut it out from the outside you will ruin the reveal. You need an extreme long handle windshield knife (available at a NAPA auto paint store) or an "Equalizer GT" window removal tool. I have the Equalizer GT, but I am in Largo on the opposite coast. Tape/pad all the way around the opening, so you do not cut yourself. You will slip, and you will endanger your hands and arms, I guarantee it.

Removal requires that you remove the front of the roof rack across the back of the vista glass. There are about 6-7 nuts that hold the glass in as well. Do not cut the studs off. Be careful with the screws that hold the side rails to the body. They have a habit of turning in the body, instead of the screw turning in them. Some "Freeze Off" may help, but it is messy.

I would also check the rear vista glass support under the front rack/glass reveal for rust. My 91 had holes big enough to stick my thumb in, and the backside looked like it had been peppered with birdshot. The rear corners of the cutout for the vista glass were also rusted.

Reinstalling it requires that you have a cured painted surface to glue to. Then use the prep for the urethane glue on the surface. It is extremely thin (viscosity is 0), will drip on everything under it, and run down your paint on any less than level surface, so put some cardboard or a drop cloth on the seats and anything else under the perimeter...be careful with it. Prep the bottom of the glass surround to make a level surface for the new urethane. Apply a generous bead of window urethane to the mating surface (not to the edge of the reveal). You need a helper to put the glass in. Get a super heavy duty cauking gun because the urethane is REALLY hard to get out of the tube. You only need one tube to install it. The working time for the urethane is 15 minutes, so don't fool around when doing the install.

Should you damage the reveal, any RMW glass will fit. The 94?, 95, and 96 glass is only held in with butyl, and much easier to remove. Remove the nuts and rack front, and push up. You may need to pry at the front a little to get it started. They also clean up easily and appear new when done. The butyl can be removed by rolling it with your fingers, or using some solvent on it. The solvent will make a big mess, rolling it off with your fingers will make your fingers hurt after a while...your choice.

If you damage it and can not find a donor glass, I have a good one I can sell for $140 if you pick it up here in largo. If you think of anything else that might come up, you can call me or message me. Plan on at least 2 days for the job, because of rust repair.

Wojtek likes this post

Back to top Go down
Buickman1

Buickman1

PostSubject: Re: Leaking Vista Glass   Leaking Vista Glass Icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2021 10:28 am

Thanks Fred, wasn't expecting to have to mess with the roof rack, but not surprised. Will have to get a HD caulk gun. Can you post a pic of the Equalizer tool, I saw several versions when I looked it up. I have a Milwaukee multi tool with different blades and think that may work.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Leaking Vista Glass   Leaking Vista Glass Icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2021 11:06 am

Buickman1 wrote:
wasn't expecting to have to mess with the roof rack, but not surprised.

If you have a roof rack, I would pull that off and check that before I thought about removing the vista window. The roof rack has been know to have leaks. The vista window seldom; not sure if I remember any. If the roof rack leaked, water could find it's way to the inside trim of the vista window. It would appear that it was leaking from the window when it was not.

Good Luck

Tom
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Leaking Vista Glass   Leaking Vista Glass Icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2021 9:52 pm

Pic of Equalizer
Leaking Vista Glass Gt10
Back to top Go down
Buickman1

Buickman1

PostSubject: Re: Leaking Vista Glass   Leaking Vista Glass Icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2021 8:18 am

I thought about that Tom, I know I have issues in the rear of the roof, either the rack or the seam at the back windows, both maybe, but the drip was coming from the front of the vista glass above my head. I know water can travel from the leak but it would have to take a few turns to get to the front of the glass. I can't get to it this weekend anyhow, so I will have some time to see if I can pinpoint the source.

silverfox103 likes this post

Back to top Go down
heavywoody

PostSubject: Re: Leaking Vista Glass   Leaking Vista Glass Icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2021 10:54 am

Fred - what can you use to clean up the reveal on the vista window? Mine has seen better days and needs a refreshing (along with my roof rack). I have a 96.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Leaking Vista Glass   Leaking Vista Glass Icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2021 8:49 pm

There was a product that was supposed to make plastic look like new. I do not remember the name. I have not tried anything on my parts, so I can not give any referrals.
Back to top Go down
Buickman1

Buickman1

PostSubject: Re: Leaking Vista Glass   Leaking Vista Glass Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2021 10:15 am

Got all the roof panels off. Decided to check em all after I found a big issue under the DS panel.
Leaking Vista Glass Img_1910
Why is the dirt oily?
This was the other spot I found under the trim behind the vista glass.
Leaking Vista Glass Img_1911
Scraped the crud off with a putty knife (damn trim collects alot of **** underneath), and scrubbed it with a scotch bright,(found a couple pin holes during cleaning).
After all that, I took some flex seal tape and covered all the holes.
Leaking Vista Glass Img_1912
Will get in the car today and hose it down to see if I can find any more leaks.

Wojtek likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Leaking Vista Glass   Leaking Vista Glass Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Leaking Vista Glass
Page 1 of 1