GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

the knock

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
96woody

the knock Empty
PostSubject: the knock   the knock Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 9:56 am

well the my wagon runs pretty good , it seems to run a bit rough but otherwise not to bad.
performed surgery on my cats last thursday so its not sluggish like it was , buuuuuuut when you give the bastard throttle and it sounds like some guys playing marracas in my bottom end. so i have another lt1 sitting on an engine stand in my garage thats supposed to have only 58k on it that i bought a year ago. it was destined for the camaro but I want to put cam and rockers and longtubes and new k-member into the engine before it goes in that car i just dont have that kind of scratch right now.
so i ordered rods, mains and gaskets to put the other motor back togther and get it ready to go in the wagon before the noise gets worse and lets go.
so the wagon should be getting a new motor soon, great affraid
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

the knock Empty
PostSubject: Re: the knock   the knock Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 11:36 am

If you performed a lobotomy on your cats, that's what might be making the noise. One of my cats hollowed itself out and it sounded AWFUL. BTW, LT1 catalytic converters in good condition really aren't a source of any significant restriction.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

the knock Empty
PostSubject: Re: the knock   the knock Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 8:38 pm

new K-member into the engine??????

Nick
Back to top Go down

the knock Empty
PostSubject: Flexplate   the knock Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 11:15 pm

Does the rattle change when putting trans in drive or when accelerating or slowing and the trans shifts up or down???
Once had a 70 Vette with a broken flex plate that made some crazy sounds constantly.I was sure that it was a main
or rod bearing going bad.Not knowing any better I pulled the trans out first and the flex plate fell off and damn near
took off my buddys big toe.
Relpaced the flex plate and put the trans back in and all was good again and no more rattles.
Please check that first because I have encountered that same problem a few times since and it can sound just like a bearing going bad.
My 2 cents!
Flasheroo
Back to top Go down
Woodse

Woodse

the knock Empty
PostSubject: Re: the knock   the knock Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 8:40 am

Hello Flasheroo, just joined on your recommendation yesterday (eBay auction). My '93 estate wagon has an intermittent knock. Will go for months w/o a noise and then a bearing noise. Good oil pressure. The flex plate has the ring Gear?
Back to top Go down

the knock Empty
PostSubject: Re: the knock   the knock Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 9:47 am

Welcome woodse to the group and yes the flex plate has teeth that the starter engages to start the engine.Glad you
joined and I think that you are my first referral.
The noise with my first vette started out as the occasional strange noise that startled me with the metallic intensity.
It became more frequent and the sound would also change as the engine warmed up.I could actually feel the rattle
in the steering and thru the seat towards the end right before I replaced the flexplate.
What was remarkable was the way the car felt and drove after the switch.This car was driven hard from the first day
of my ownership and it felt like I was driving a different car as well as it sounding like a different car.
Rambling Again
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

the knock Empty
PostSubject: Re: the knock   the knock Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

the knock
Page 1 of 1