GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

WTF is wrong here

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Buickman1

Buickman1

WTF is wrong here Empty
PostSubject: WTF is wrong here   WTF is wrong here Icon_minitimeThu Jan 11, 2024 6:49 pm

Ok, so last weekend, I was checking the rear end of the wagon, and noticed some play in the ps axle, and thought bad bearings. I had some time yesterday and
today to check it out, and I am totally confused on what I'm working on. I removed the axles yesterday and found the ps wasted(why I posted for an axle), and
started removing the bearings today but they were not a standard bearing.

WTF is wrong here Bearin10

There are 2 snap rings, 2 oil seals, 2 plastic holder/spacer pieces, and roller bearings, on both sides of the axle(the pic is only one side of the axle), and no outer race. The FSM does not show snap rings or 2 oil seals, and says you need a bearing puller to remove them. I checked the axle code on the tube and it is slightly
different than what the FSM shows. The axle reads 6YL G2051 and the FSM shows 4YL as the 1st 3 digits. The FSM does not say what the 1st digit means, and nothing I found on the web showed either. I haven't received the new bearings yet to see if they fit, but I'm wondering if this is the original axle from the car. Does
anyone have any idea WTF I have.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

WTF is wrong here Empty
PostSubject: Re: WTF is wrong here   WTF is wrong here Icon_minitimeMon Jan 15, 2024 9:02 am

Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

WTF is wrong here Empty
PostSubject: Re: WTF is wrong here   WTF is wrong here Icon_minitimeMon Jan 15, 2024 3:12 pm

what are the last 5 digits of your VIN? I'm curios to see how early it was built.
Back to top Go down
billmorrow

WTF is wrong here Empty
PostSubject: Re: WTF is wrong here   WTF is wrong here Icon_minitimeFri Jan 19, 2024 7:34 pm

Buickman1 wrote:
........and noticed some play in the ps axle.............
ps..?? port side..??
FS= factory service manual..?
Back to top Go down
http://www.forum.thinkpads.com
Buickman1

Buickman1

WTF is wrong here Empty
PostSubject: Re: WTF is wrong here   WTF is wrong here Icon_minitimeSat Jan 20, 2024 11:38 am

billmorrow wrote:
Buickman1 wrote:
........and noticed some play in the ps axle.............
ps..?? port side..??
FS= factory service manual..?

Although our cars are referred to as boats, I mean passenger side (LOL), and yes factory service manual. 304356 is the last 6 digits of the vin.
Not sure what kind of bearings were installed and I ended up using a die grinder to get the outer race off. It was hard enough that a metal saw blade wore out without even putting a scratch in them. I got worried that the axle might have been damaged, why they installed these odd bearings, but it looked good.

WTF is wrong here Bearin11
the groove was for an o ring, the step in the middle matched the step in the axle, and it stuck out past the axle about 1/8".

Got everything back together Friday, and all seems well.

rcktpwrd likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

WTF is wrong here Empty
PostSubject: Re: WTF is wrong here   WTF is wrong here Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

WTF is wrong here
Page 1 of 1