GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rear tire rubs around corners

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Draginwagin

Rear tire rubs around corners Empty
PostSubject: Rear tire rubs around corners   Rear tire rubs around corners Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2024 3:06 pm

I've had 5 wagons. All had OEM size or near OEM size tires. I've never had any issues with tires rubbing. Side to side rear axle movement never crossed my mind. My most recent acquisition is a 94 Caprice wagon. It came with 20X9 rims. The tires on it are 275/40/20. I can just get my fingers between the tire and the skirt on the drivers side. On the passenger side, I cannot get my fingers between the fender skirt and the tire. When making a right turn at anything faster than idle, the rear pass. tire rubs the skirt. Would boxed lower control arms lessen the side to side axle movement? Would I need to upgrade the upper control arms too? On all my previous wagons, I installed UMI boxed lower control arms. The '94 is still stock. I haven't done it to this one yet. Will that help? Do I need the uppers too. Or am I barking up the wrong tree altogether?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Rear tire rubs around corners Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear tire rubs around corners   Rear tire rubs around corners Icon_minitimeMon Sep 16, 2024 4:36 pm

The uppers control side to side motion. Lowers only control front to back. Urethane upper bushings would probably solve the rubbing. You should also center the body on the frame.
Back to top Go down

Rear tire rubs around corners
Page 1 of 1