GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Replacing the Alternator on my L05... question

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Replacing the Alternator on my L05... question Empty
PostSubject: Replacing the Alternator on my L05... question   Replacing the Alternator on my L05... question Icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 2:25 pm

So uh... yeah. It crapped out on me. I have a replacement, but I can't undo the screws that hold it in place. They look to be torx head. What size? Anybody know?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Replacing the Alternator on my L05... question   Replacing the Alternator on my L05... question Icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 4:19 pm

Stingroo wrote:
So uh... yeah. It crapped out on me. I have a replacement, but I can't undo the screws that hold it in place. They look to be torx head. What size? Anybody know?

I believe one is a 45 and the other is a 55. There is also a 10mm bolt in the rear of the alternator holding it to a support rod. You do not have to remove the rod from the lower bolt. The alternator will be extremely difficult to remove once you get the bolts out. GM made them fit extremely tight. You will have to wiggle, twist, and pry it loose from the bottom mount.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Replacing the Alternator on my L05... question   Replacing the Alternator on my L05... question Icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 4:20 pm

Oh, there's two different sizes? Shows how much I saw. lol Thank you, sir. I was so annoyed by this. Why can't they just be regular damn bolts?!
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Replacing the Alternator on my L05... question   Replacing the Alternator on my L05... question Icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 5:03 pm

Because GM loves you so much they want you to be prepared for anything with plenty of tools. Just think, you will now be able to remove the seatbelts (T55) with the proper size torx drivers, as well as the front end assessory brackets (T45) when you swap the engine for one that has some power.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Replacing the Alternator on my L05... question   Replacing the Alternator on my L05... question Icon_minitimeFri Sep 17, 2010 5:34 pm

Had one of those bolts strip out on a Trans Am I owned. Took a bit of time to get it out in the dark with a pair Vice Grips Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Replacing the Alternator on my L05... question   Replacing the Alternator on my L05... question Icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 3:33 pm

Well unfortunately the vice grip idea is no good, as I need to re-use said bolts. Sad

Looks like I'm stuck another week without a car. CRAP.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Replacing the Alternator on my L05... question   Replacing the Alternator on my L05... question Icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 4:12 pm

I reused mine, just had to use the vice grips, lol.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Replacing the Alternator on my L05... question   Replacing the Alternator on my L05... question Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 12:56 pm

Bumpity bump. Got it fixed and running today. I'm in love. Two weeks without my car was hell. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, as they say.

Also: The sockets I needed were a T35 and T45. The T55 wasn't needed, except where I messed up and actually took the tensioner OFF instead of using it with a half inch drive ratchet. Turns out it's damn near impossible to pull that belt yourself, even with two people. LOL Thank goodness my friend's dad had a ratchet we could use.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Replacing the Alternator on my L05... question   Replacing the Alternator on my L05... question Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 2:59 pm

I have pulled/installed numerous belts by my self, and never had a problem. I use a standard 1/2 inch drive ratchet.

Did you remove the airpump while you had it apart?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Replacing the Alternator on my L05... question   Replacing the Alternator on my L05... question Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 3:28 pm

Well, no I got the belt figured out. I just didn't know about the half-inch drive ratchet thing to move the spring tensioner.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Replacing the Alternator on my L05... question   Replacing the Alternator on my L05... question Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 5:01 pm

ah nothing like your first car to learn the trade Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Replacing the Alternator on my L05... question   Replacing the Alternator on my L05... question Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 5:12 pm

It was surprisingly fun, and I felt pretty badass when it started up. Campus security wasn't happy, I revved the crap out of it in the parking lot and somebody actually came over to me for it. LOL I'm thinking I need to get it painted ASAP, they're going to start remembering "the loud red wagon".
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Replacing the Alternator on my L05... question   Replacing the Alternator on my L05... question Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 7:12 pm

just don't paint it like this

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Diggin' the ram air hood!
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Replacing the Alternator on my L05... question   Replacing the Alternator on my L05... question Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 7:44 pm

I feel sorry for that Caprice.....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Replacing the Alternator on my L05... question   Replacing the Alternator on my L05... question Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 8:58 pm

No way Sprocket. Either satin black (most likely) or DCM (not likely, I imagine it's expensive).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Replacing the Alternator on my L05... question   Replacing the Alternator on my L05... question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Replacing the Alternator on my L05... question
Page 1 of 1