GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

I have a WORKING power antenna!!

Go down 
+8
jayoldschool
VT Wagon
Krzdimond
phantom 309
DBeaSSt
Cadet57
lornejay1
81X11
12 posters
AuthorMessage
81X11

81X11

I have a WORKING power antenna!! Empty
PostSubject: I have a WORKING power antenna!!   I have a WORKING power antenna!! Icon_minitimeSat Oct 02, 2010 12:47 am

Thanks sherlock9c1!!

Put it in tonight. Ya'll know how anal I am about the car so it took me two hours to do it....wanted to make sure it looked factory. And getting the old antenna out was a pain, it was in the up position.

Antenna works great. Just got done putting all the inner fender bolts back in.

Neat toy, glad that's fixed and hope it works a while!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: I have a WORKING power antenna!!   I have a WORKING power antenna!! Icon_minitimeSat Oct 02, 2010 2:43 am

Silly thing to be excited about but it's been broken and up fully since I bought this car.

It's the little things that make you happy. ; )

I have a WORKING power antenna!! Antenna002

I have a WORKING power antenna!! Antenna003

I have a WORKING power antenna!! Antenna001

I have a WORKING power antenna!! Antenna004
Back to top Go down
lornejay1

lornejay1

PostSubject: Re: I have a WORKING power antenna!!   I have a WORKING power antenna!! Icon_minitimeSat Oct 02, 2010 9:05 am

Any pics of it half up?

Just kidding SS, Razz tongue well done. Lorne.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: I have a WORKING power antenna!!   I have a WORKING power antenna!! Icon_minitimeSat Oct 02, 2010 9:13 am

lornejay1 wrote:
Any pics of it half up?

I have some in my pathology book but... OH you meant the antenna! Shocked
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: I have a WORKING power antenna!!   I have a WORKING power antenna!! Icon_minitimeSat Oct 02, 2010 9:25 am

cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name

PostSubject: Understatement   I have a WORKING power antenna!! Icon_minitimeSat Oct 02, 2010 10:02 am

I think that most of us in this group are a little "ANAL" about our wagons in one way or another.
Mike you sir fall into a whole different category and I think "obsessive compulsive" describes your affliction nicely.Mike I hope you know that I
mean this in a complementary way.When I first saw the way you cleaned the carpet at the bottom of your door pockets I knew you were
"different".All the wonderful pictures also proves just how bad your affliction is and how there is no hope or desire for a cure.
Please keep up the great work.
Take Care
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: I have a WORKING power antenna!!   I have a WORKING power antenna!! Icon_minitimeSat Oct 02, 2010 10:13 am

i have no understanding of this 'anal"

Nick
i can hear your comments from here,....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I have a WORKING power antenna!!   I have a WORKING power antenna!! Icon_minitimeSat Oct 02, 2010 3:15 pm

If I could afford it, I would be the same way as you, Mike.

I'm jealous. Sad
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: I have a WORKING power antenna!!   I have a WORKING power antenna!! Icon_minitimeSat Oct 02, 2010 3:31 pm

81X11 wrote:
It's the little things that make you happy. ; )

I have a WORKING power antenna!! Antenna004

Mike, use THIS stuff and go from gray wheel wells to BLACK wheel wells. Makes a HUGE difference in looks

http://www.chemicalguys.com/UNDERCARRIAGE_SPRAY_BARE_BONES_NEW_LOOK_SHINE_p/tvd_104_16.htm

Go from the above pic to this:

I have a WORKING power antenna!! SDC10182

I have a WORKING power antenna!! SDC10183
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I have a WORKING power antenna!!   I have a WORKING power antenna!! Icon_minitimeSat Oct 02, 2010 3:32 pm

Man those are so black they look photoshopped. Sweet.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: I have a WORKING power antenna!!   I have a WORKING power antenna!! Icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 1:11 am

Sweet! Thanks for the tip!

And now I'm embaressed that someone noticed something dirty on my car... Damn flash on my camera.... Time to get out the wash bucket!
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: I have a WORKING power antenna!!   I have a WORKING power antenna!! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 6:58 pm

So is the best advice to keep this running a long time NOT to lube it?

I looked in the history and some said use WD40, others said use nothing and just keep it clean. I also saw where steel wool was mentioned, but I don't want to scratch the metal.

I really like that the antenna works again. It's smooth and the motor sounds good. The motor case was corroded but I sanded and re-painted it...but still have no idea how old or used it is.

I am looking on the bright side, considering this came from a northern car the plastic cable in there has not baked in 100 degree Texas summer heat for the past 15+ years. You guys up north are lucky for your good plastic....it all turns to dust here.

The mast itself is nice an shiney when up, but near the bottom it has some discoloration. I was going to use polishing compound on it but want to hear from the group before I do. So far all I've done is spray Windex on a towel and wipe the antenna in the up position.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: I have a WORKING power antenna!!   I have a WORKING power antenna!! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 11, 2010 10:38 pm

No tips on maintaining this? Hello...? Echo...?

Frye.....Frye......Anyone....
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: I have a WORKING power antenna!!   I have a WORKING power antenna!! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 11, 2010 10:52 pm

Bueller, Bueller......

Steel wool is the best for the antenna. No lube.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: I have a WORKING power antenna!!   I have a WORKING power antenna!! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 12, 2010 9:29 am

Thanks for the reply. Was scared steel wool would scratch the chrome.
Back to top Go down
VT Wagon

VT Wagon

PostSubject: Re: I have a WORKING power antenna!!   I have a WORKING power antenna!! Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2014 7:10 am

Generally, can these usually be repaired or do they need a replacement?
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: I have a WORKING power antenna!!   I have a WORKING power antenna!! Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2014 8:24 am

Depends. If it is stuck in one position, then the belt is broken and can be repaired. If it is bent.... replace.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: I have a WORKING power antenna!!   I have a WORKING power antenna!! Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2014 10:44 am

No lube, says so right in the FSM.
Back to top Go down
VT Wagon

VT Wagon

PostSubject: Re: I have a WORKING power antenna!!   I have a WORKING power antenna!! Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2014 5:27 pm

Superior Finish wrote:
Depends. If it is stuck in one position, then the belt is broken and can be repaired.  If it is bent.... replace.

Thanks, I bet my belt is broken.
Back to top Go down
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

PostSubject: Re: I have a WORKING power antenna!!   I have a WORKING power antenna!! Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2014 9:10 pm

Silicone based dry UNR can brused to ensure smooth operation and if you use steel wool, be sure it is 4 0's
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: I have a WORKING power antenna!!   I have a WORKING power antenna!! Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2014 10:18 pm

It is a nylon cable. You can get them on Amazon. You have to remove the rivets and clips to take the motor case apart. I use #10 screws with nuts except for the center of the drum. I use a #10 screw, and a threaded nylon spacer. I also put a drop of CA on the nuts to keep them from backing off. The finial will unscrew...put the top mast segment in a smooth vise, and use a crescent wrench to turn it off. You may have to heat it if it is extremely tight. The only issue is getting the small gear with the blocked tooth in the right position. I put it just to the left of bottom center or bottom center when looking at the outside of the case side and with the antenna up. Put the mast section on with the open side of the black clip toward the motor case, and the fender mount on the right of the mast.

The mast must be PN 22100617. I do not have a PN for the cable, but it is specific to the front mount B body cars from 91-96.

The mast is stainless steel, and does not need lube. Lube makes it gum up, and stick by sticking to dust and dirt.
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: I have a WORKING power antenna!!   I have a WORKING power antenna!! Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2014 10:43 pm

Sno-Shield spray. Leaves a dry but very slippery surface. Antenna glides up and down smooth as silk, even in winter.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: I have a WORKING power antenna!!   I have a WORKING power antenna!! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2015 9:48 am

Well my last used antenna worked for 5 years, thanks!!

Happily I found another one locally yesterday.   Wrench-A-Part here in Austin got in a '96 Caprice Classic, and amazingly it had a power antenna.   A local car-buddy spotted it.  $12, hard to beat!   Ran power to it and it jumps right up!   Win!  

I have a WORKING power antenna!! 11132196_964319140246419_1097407000_o

I have a WORKING power antenna!! 11148882_964319143579752_1398278281_n

I found the replacement plastic nylon cord part online for $30....thinking of ordering it and installing it in this one, just to be safe.    Cheap insurance, and it's no fun to change that assembly out....

-Mike
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I have a WORKING power antenna!!   I have a WORKING power antenna!! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2015 10:36 am

You cant use this antenna Mike,it has a spot of RUST on the housing! bounce : cheers
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: I have a WORKING power antenna!!   I have a WORKING power antenna!! Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2015 10:57 am

Ahahaha!

I'll paint the housing first.
Back to top Go down
Buicknutt

Buicknutt

PostSubject: Re: I have a WORKING power antenna!!   I have a WORKING power antenna!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2016 1:04 am

Cool info...I have a pile of broken antennas I was wondering what to do with...I may take a stab at this fix.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I have a WORKING power antenna!!   I have a WORKING power antenna!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I have a WORKING power antenna!!
Page 1 of 1