GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

So who wants BBQ???

Go down 
+4
Cadet57
BigBlackBeaSSt
toomanytoyz
81X11
8 posters
AuthorMessage
81X11

81X11

So who wants BBQ??? Empty
PostSubject: So who wants BBQ???   So who wants BBQ??? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 12:26 am

So got my trailer wiring done and drove up to Dallas today to pick up my Christmas gift from the in-laws. I'm tickled, see pics below. My father-in-law gave me his older BBQ pit trailer. It's a real Texas Smoker. 1500 pounds of meat-searing fun, two cooking areas, a big firebox, and even has two extra gas burners on the front for pan cooking breakfast at the campsites.

I've got to re-paint it, but spray-paint is cheap! It's in really good shape, has good tires, and tows great. Plannng to get a brisket and a bunch of sausage for next weekend, and some Mesquite chips. Woo-Hoo!

The wagon towed like a champ....but it was not much of a load. Still if you notice how weighed-down the car looks in the back, my wife was asleep in the cargo area when I took the pics, plus my kids and father were along, and the car was loaded with a weeks worth of my oldest son's luggage too. I was missing the air shocks for the first time. Think I may look for some variable-rate springs to go with the cargo-coil shocks soon.

Also hit one salvage yard and got my lower tailgate hinge, while we were up there, and found two new....rough...Roadmaster wagons.

Enjoy the pics. Happy New Year gang!

-Mike

BBQ Fun!
So who wants BBQ??? Dallas3008
So who wants BBQ??? Dallas3010
So who wants BBQ??? Dallas3009

This poor wagon was TRASHED
So who wants BBQ??? Dallas3003
So who wants BBQ??? Dallas3002
So who wants BBQ??? Dallas3001

This car had a lot of good parts left
So who wants BBQ??? Dallas3004
So who wants BBQ??? Dallas3005

What is it??
So who wants BBQ??? Dallas3006

For my VW nut buddy. Tons of good parts on this spud. No rust at all.
So who wants BBQ??? Dallas3007

Got my tail gate hinge. My is popping when the door is opened to the side, the bearing where it pivots up and down and left and right is shot on my car. This one is perfect, just a litttle dirty. $10..woo-hoo. Now I've got to install it...
So who wants BBQ??? Dallas3011

No red interiors. I grabbed two tan tailgate release handles....have not decided if I want to paint them or keep looking for red ones. I glued my broken red one back on with 3M "gorilla snot", but don't know how long it'll hold.....

Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: So who wants BBQ???   So who wants BBQ??? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 4:16 pm

Way cool! See ya in February, when it's COOOOOOOLD up here. Wink
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: So who wants BBQ???   So who wants BBQ??? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 4:55 pm

OUR NEW WAGONFEST HOST!!!! I will send you directions to Geneva!!!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So who wants BBQ???   So who wants BBQ??? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 8:24 pm

No need to cut up the cow'just throw the entire side of beef on the grill.Cant wait to see that beast when you are thru cleaning,painting and detailing
your new toy.Going to look great all done up Mikes way behind your wagon.
Awesome Gift Mike
Take Care
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: So who wants BBQ???   So who wants BBQ??? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 8:31 pm

81X11 wrote:

Got my tail gate hinge. My is popping when the door is opened to the side, the bearing where it pivots up and down and left and right is shot on my car. This one is perfect, just a litttle dirty. $10..woo-hoo. Now I've got to install it...

Huh, so thats what that noise is. Guess I need one of those. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: So who wants BBQ???   So who wants BBQ??? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 8:57 pm

mmmmmmmmm brisket. My sister-in-law flew over a couple of months back and brought us dinner from Salt Lick.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: So who wants BBQ???   So who wants BBQ??? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 10:39 pm

Salt Lick is good, but for my money County Line BBQ is better.

Then again, once I'm done learning how to use this thing, I hope to be better than all of them! Ha!

Thanks for the kind words gang!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: So who wants BBQ???   So who wants BBQ??? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 3:22 am

Ok big thanks to my retired father. He came and stole the BBQ pit from my driveway on Tuesday to "tinker" with it. Welll he came over this afternoon with it on the back of our S-10 parts-chaser, and it's AMAZING the work he did in one week.

He cleaned it inside and out, then used a metal brush on the entire thing, then re-painted it all with high-heat black paint. He installed new racks in the firebox, scraped the grills in the pit, cleaned the wheels, and even rigged up a spare tire holder (not shown in these pics). It looks OUTSTANDING!

We towed it up and put the pit at the ranch this afternoon. Will be smoking it up in no time! I can taste the sausage and brisket already! Thanks Dad!!

So who wants BBQ??? SaturdayBBQ001
So who wants BBQ??? SaturdayBBQ002
So who wants BBQ??? SaturdayBBQ003
So who wants BBQ??? SaturdayBBQ004
So who wants BBQ??? SaturdayBBQ005
So who wants BBQ??? SaturdayBBQ006
So who wants BBQ??? SaturdayBBQ007
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: So who wants BBQ???   So who wants BBQ??? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 9:00 am

Nice gift! I love those smokers.
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
GSBULLDOG

GSBULLDOG

PostSubject: Re: So who wants BBQ???   So who wants BBQ??? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 9:23 am

thats a smoker to make any guy proud ! nice .
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: So who wants BBQ???   So who wants BBQ??? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 9:36 am

Wow, that's awesome! Smile
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: So who wants BBQ???   So who wants BBQ??? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 9:50 am

You've got a generous father, and that was a nice gift from your FIL.
Back to top Go down
http://www.unseengallery.com

PostSubject: Re: So who wants BBQ???   So who wants BBQ??? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 10:35 am

Morning Mike,after seeing what your father did to your grill,its obvious where you got your "clean and detail"gene from.Blame it on Dad but its
one of the good genes to have.Wish I had it but just cant keep my wagons as clean as you do.Put that grill to good use as its big enough to
grill a pig.Not a Texas pig but a normal size pig.
Take Care All
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: So who wants BBQ???   So who wants BBQ??? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 1:33 pm

W----AA-------gg-------ooooooooo--------nnnnn f------e-------s-----t----------- I will bring Venison!!
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: So who wants BBQ???   So who wants BBQ??? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 9:59 am

Speaking of venison, my wife picked up her deer from the processor this weekend. She shared some with her folks, but I've got 50lbs of ground Venison plus jalapeno' link sausage in the garage freezer now. She shot a 10-point buck on Dec 27th. It's funny how she's the hunter in the family...I love my tomboy redneck wife...I just have to be careful about pissing her off. She a crack shot. ; )
So who wants BBQ??? MistyBuck003
So who wants BBQ??? MistyBuck001

Need to fire that pit up!!

And yes it sure is nice to have both a cool father-in-law and Dad. I'm tickled with the pit!

-Mike

Last edited by 81X11 on Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: So who wants BBQ???   So who wants BBQ??? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 9:59 am

Thanks for all the comments, and yes I got my car detailing genes from my Dad. Growing up we had a 72 Cutlass coupe, 69 LeMans convertible, and his daily driver was a 79 Corvette he got in '85 and drove through 1996. Not to mention Mom's '78 Grand Safari and '86 Electra Estate.

We always had clean cars growing up. ; )
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: So who wants BBQ???   So who wants BBQ??? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 10:02 am

Oh notice her buck was an oddball. It had 4-points on one side and 6 on the other. The family friend in East Texas who's ranch she was on thanked her for shooting that "deformed" buck.

; )
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: So who wants BBQ???   So who wants BBQ??? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 10:40 am

They call it atypical and that is a gorgeous buck!!. But being a southern dear it is probably smaller that it would be in PA or NY. In New York state a buck of that age, would be 250lbs plus.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: So who wants BBQ???   So who wants BBQ??? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 10:53 am

Hill Country deer, like what we see on the "fun" ranch near Austin in Burnet, are pretty small. That area is pretty dry, small scrubby trees, cactus, thin soil. My Dad, Uncle, and cousin-in-law hunt there, and we kid them about the "dogs" they shoot.

My wife, her Dad and my brother-in-law hunt on a family friend's ranch up in East Texas, about 40-miles due-east of Corsicana. That area is deeply wooded and they have big deer there. That's where she shot this one.

Texas is so wierd, because it's so huge. North East Texas is deep woods, south east Texas is swampland and pine woods. North Texas is farm country, central Texas is a mix of famland east of I-35 and hill country west of I-35. South Texas us rolling hills with rocky thin soil until you get near the gulf, which is flat as a pancake and has great soil, and there are huge farms there, but not a lot of trees.

West Texas is what most people picture when they think of Texas, it's grasslands and desert, but youi can see forever and the stars are amazing at night out there. Go rent No Country for Old Men or Fandango if you want to see what West Texas look like. ; )

There are deer all over the state, and hunting is like football here, it's a religion, but for size, it's all in where you go!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: So who wants BBQ???   So who wants BBQ??? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 11:05 am

As for BBQ, my Dad really misses northeast Arkansas where he grew up. Memphis style BBQ is what they had, more pork and sweeter sauces, ribs and such. Dad's favorite is still pulled pork sandwiches, which are not all that popular here in Texas. Texas BBQ is more beef, like brisket and sausage, and the sauce is not as sweet, more smoke flavor.

We've got lots of plans for that pit. Dad is going to show me what "real" BBQ is. Ha! We'll see.

I've got a buddy in Atlanta that swears any BBQ west of Georgia sucks. I'll have to talk to him about cooking styles there. See if he'll give me some pointers. Not sure what's different there, but I'm gonna learn!

Such fun!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So who wants BBQ???   So who wants BBQ??? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

So who wants BBQ???
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GM Longroof Forum :: The Longroof Lounge :: Pics and Video-
Jump to: