GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

MIG or TIG

Go down 
AuthorMessage

MIG or TIG Empty
PostSubject: MIG or TIG   MIG or TIG Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 10:29 am

I use to be a pretty good arc welder way back in the early 70s and I know it sounds crazy but I actually enjoyed
creating things from a pile of steel pipe and sheet metal. Fast forward to 2011 and I want a mig or tig welder.What
I am planning is minor stuff like plugging holes where the moulding was and my main project..
I want to get some steel/stainless steel strapping and try my hand at some gas tank straps.Going to get a set of
sedan straps for starters and go from there.My machinist friend kindly told me that even in basic steel I would need
to be able to place an order in the amount of 100 plus straps just to get the ball rolling.He just laughed when I asked about the possibility of using one of the stainless alloys.
I just feel that these straps are going to be a huge problem for all of us in the near future as our cars age and our
straps rust.Now I am going to be using 110V and it will have to be lightweight.
Please tell me or opinions MIG or TIG and why.Feelings will not be hurt so Nick I value your input here too.
Thanks
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

MIG or TIG Empty
PostSubject: Re: MIG or TIG   MIG or TIG Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 10:59 am

110V will limit the choices. You can get MIG units that can be converted to TIG, so I would suggest looking at those. For lots of discussion, and guys that know WAY more about this than I do, check out the forums at garagejournal.com. Very knowledgeable bunch, and they will be able to tell you exactly what will do the job for you, how much it will cost, and where to buy it.
Back to top Go down

MIG or TIG Empty
PostSubject: Re: MIG or TIG   MIG or TIG Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 11:21 am

Thanks Jay I will definitely check it out.
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

MIG or TIG Empty
PostSubject: Re: MIG or TIG   MIG or TIG Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MIG or TIG
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GM Longroof Forum :: Longroof Tech :: Suspension, Steering and Brakes-
Jump to: