GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Is the Sedan Power Antenna the Same As A Wagon?

Go down 
+2
DBeaSSt
Cadet57
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Cadet57

Cadet57

Is the Sedan Power Antenna the Same As A Wagon? Empty
PostSubject: Is the Sedan Power Antenna the Same As A Wagon?   Is the Sedan Power Antenna the Same As A Wagon? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 1:22 pm

Picked up a sedan antenna out of a '92 RMS. Is it the same antenna thats in the wagon? I was told the mounting bracket is the only difference. Is that true? If so how do I go about swapping them.
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Is the Sedan Power Antenna the Same As A Wagon?   Is the Sedan Power Antenna the Same As A Wagon? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 7:07 pm

Caprice sedan, yes, RMS and Fleetwood, no. Well they are similar but different brackets. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Is the Sedan Power Antenna the Same As A Wagon?   Is the Sedan Power Antenna the Same As A Wagon? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 7:12 pm

DBeaSSt wrote:
Caprice sedan, yes, RMS and Fleetwood, no. Well they are similar but different brackets. Wink

Are the brackets interchangeable?

(Please say yes) Smile
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Is the Sedan Power Antenna the Same As A Wagon?   Is the Sedan Power Antenna the Same As A Wagon? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 7:55 pm

Just looked at the antenna I pulled out of my impala
The antenna body has an integral bracket mounting tab.
The bracket that secures the antenna to the fender bolts to that tab with 2 bolts (self tappers)
So THAT bracket can be changed. Do you have the wagon one out?
Pic exchange may work
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Is the Sedan Power Antenna the Same As A Wagon?   Is the Sedan Power Antenna the Same As A Wagon? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 7:56 pm

sdstick wrote:
Just looked at the antenna I pulled out of my impala
The antenna body has an integral bracket mounting tab.
The bracket that secures the antenna to the fender bolts to that tab with 2 bolts (self tappers)
So THAT bracket can be changed. Do you have the wagon one out?
Pic exchange may work

Not yet. It's stuck up so I think i may need to drop the inner fender to get it out Mad
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Is the Sedan Power Antenna the Same As A Wagon?   Is the Sedan Power Antenna the Same As A Wagon? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 8:00 pm

NBD spin those rusty ole seized clips off with an air gun, pull the inner fender out & jamb a 2x4 in there so you dont get your hand/arm pinned.
It is nice to have the replacement ready to go at that point tho...

I dont want to hear your wagon is out of action because of THAT!!! Razz
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Is the Sedan Power Antenna the Same As A Wagon?   Is the Sedan Power Antenna the Same As A Wagon? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 8:01 pm

Justin, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but, unless someone knows a secret that I don't, they are not the same.

Tom
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Is the Sedan Power Antenna the Same As A Wagon?   Is the Sedan Power Antenna the Same As A Wagon? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 8:03 pm

silverfox103 wrote:
Justin, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but, unless someone knows a secret that I don't, they are not the same.

Tom

Dam...

Anyone need a Roadmaster sedan antenna. Cheap! Laughing
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Is the Sedan Power Antenna the Same As A Wagon?   Is the Sedan Power Antenna the Same As A Wagon? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 8:06 pm

Post up a pic.
May as well nail it down.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Is the Sedan Power Antenna the Same As A Wagon?   Is the Sedan Power Antenna the Same As A Wagon? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 7:09 pm

sdstick wrote:
Post up a pic.
May as well nail it down.

Ask and ye shall receive:

Is the Sedan Power Antenna the Same As A Wagon? IMG_20110330_162754

Is the Sedan Power Antenna the Same As A Wagon? IMG_20110330_162737
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: Is the Sedan Power Antenna the Same As A Wagon?   Is the Sedan Power Antenna the Same As A Wagon? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 8:56 pm

Someone on the Impala forum said that it's possible to put the guts of the sedan antenna into the wagon antenna. He was vague about how it was done. I have a working sedan antenna just in case the wagon antenna fails before I can find a proper replacement (and it can be converted)..
Back to top Go down
http://www.unseengallery.com
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Is the Sedan Power Antenna the Same As A Wagon?   Is the Sedan Power Antenna the Same As A Wagon? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 9:00 pm

I was just looking at pics of the Caprice sedan antenna and this one, I honestly can't see much of a difference besides the bracket. But that's just me.
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Is the Sedan Power Antenna the Same As A Wagon?   Is the Sedan Power Antenna the Same As A Wagon? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 9:11 pm

Thats the same as my impala except the tab that those 2 self tappers are in is
on the opposite side from mine and my power connector isnt clipped to the shaft.
I'd have to guess that it'll fit.
Maybe you'd need to adapt the bracket from the wagon.
If you have any McGiver in you I'd go for it.
Otherwise wait for a mod day & we'll take care of it.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Is the Sedan Power Antenna the Same As A Wagon?   Is the Sedan Power Antenna the Same As A Wagon? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 9:32 am

The plugs come off of the shaft. I think I might wait for the mod day. I've never tried to take the fenders apart, even a bit so I'd rather not frick it up. I have enough body work to do Laughing
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Is the Sedan Power Antenna the Same As A Wagon?   Is the Sedan Power Antenna the Same As A Wagon? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 10:33 am

Theres really no way to not frick it up (a little maybe).
The clips are usually rusted solid & spin when you load them.
You have to jamb a screwdriver (or spin the air fast enough) to break them.
I'm not patient enough to take all the hardware out so I just muscle the inner well enough to work thru.
You wont want me doing this to your car AFTER paint so....plan accordingly.
Next time your at the JY hack out a junk wagon antenna so I can make up the bracket before hand.
Thats the only part that really matters cuz you want it to mount solid.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Is the Sedan Power Antenna the Same As A Wagon?   Is the Sedan Power Antenna the Same As A Wagon? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 10:43 am

sdstick wrote:
Theres really no way to not frick it up (a little maybe).
The clips are usually rusted solid & spin when you load them.
You have to jamb a screwdriver (or spin the air fast enough) to break them.
I'm not patient enough to take all the hardware out so I just muscle the inner well enough to work thru.
You wont want me doing this to your car AFTER paint so....plan accordingly.
Next time your at the JY hack out a junk wagon antenna so I can make up the bracket before hand.
Thats the only part that really matters cuz you want it to mount solid.

No wagons around here Sad But, you know... that reminds me. There is a '95 Roadie Wagon at a JY in Norton. I'm gonna have to scope it out.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Is the Sedan Power Antenna the Same As A Wagon?   Is the Sedan Power Antenna the Same As A Wagon? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 7:37 pm

The wagon and caprice antennas are the same and have a 4 section mast, and the RMS and FWB have a 3 section mast. The top section of the RMS/FWB mast is longer than the Caprice/wagon mast top section. The motor unit is the same. I can give you instructions on how to put the RMS/FWB nylon cable into the wagon antenna top section. It is a little work, but there isn't much for options. If the only thing wrong with your antenna is the nylon cable is broken, it can be fixed (same instructions as the motor module swap). If you have a good mast, and a good motor, you can make it work again. If you want me to do it, send it to me with $65 and I will fix it (you have to send me a good mast).
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Is the Sedan Power Antenna the Same As A Wagon?   Is the Sedan Power Antenna the Same As A Wagon? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 7:42 pm

No idea whats wrong with it. Plug it in and the motor just runs and runs. It's stuck up so I never bothered to fix it, I just got sick of looking at a broken antenna. I'll probably just sell this RMS one and swap to a fixed one. I dont have the money for new one atm.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Is the Sedan Power Antenna the Same As A Wagon?   Is the Sedan Power Antenna the Same As A Wagon? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 8:34 pm

Cadet57 wrote:
No idea whats wrong with it. Plug it in and the motor just runs and runs. It's stuck up so I never bothered to fix it, I just got sick of looking at a broken antenna. I'll probably just sell this RMS one and swap to a fixed one. I dont have the money for new one atm.

I have a fixed one that I would swap for your non running power antenna with a good mast. If you turn your radio off with the antenna plugged in, you should be able to push the mast down carefully. Then you have to remove the bolts holding the wheelhouse all the way to the top of the wheel opening or further if you want to make it easier (including the 2 bolts behind the wheel at the back). Prop the wheelhouse away from the body with a 2X4 (4 side) at the back. There is a 10 mm bolt in the door jam, and the bezel. When you disconnect the wires it should come out with a little wiggling. I will ship mine to you first, so that you do not have a hole and loose wheelhouse. LMK
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is the Sedan Power Antenna the Same As A Wagon?   Is the Sedan Power Antenna the Same As A Wagon? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is the Sedan Power Antenna the Same As A Wagon?
Page 1 of 1