GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

synth in a posi rear

Go down 
+3
jayoldschool
brokecello
Sprocket
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Sprocket

Sprocket

synth in a  posi rear Empty
PostSubject: synth in a posi rear   synth in a  posi rear Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 8:36 pm

So I'm pissed off and want to solicit your comments and experiences.

My Mom rocks a 96 Camaro RS that looks showroom with 60K on it.

Highly optioned with a 3.42 Posi rear (just ran compnine on it).

She took it in for an oil change today and the aholes at Tire Plus told her the rear diff was dry, she worried and told them to fix it (I won't go into the other 4 services she declined and doesn't need). Anyway the receipt she read me said they used "Gear Glide Synthetic". No mention of a posi additive on the receipt. They whacked her for $200 for a new diff gasket and the 90W synthetic.

After a quick google, I could not find a manufacturer for "Gear Glide Synthetic gear oil", and found references on the Corvette forum that say synthetics and factory eatons don't mix well.....

Opinions and experiences please..... I told my Mom to call tomorrow and demand they swap back to Dino juice and GM additive for the rear at no charge to her, since they screwed up trying to screw her, as I doubt the rear was dry as she said there was no noise at all in the back of the car.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: synth in a posi rear   synth in a  posi rear Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 8:47 pm

I can say that I personally have not had good luck with pure Synth gear oil in my stock posi units. Did that once in my old '95 AGW and that thing made noise once it got good and hot. Changed the fluid to the reg stuff and no issues at all.

Now for the OCC...(has factory posi) I used the Valvoline Dura Blend (cause I got a good deal on it) and have not had any issues for 14k miles. Its a mix, not pure Synth. I put the same stuff back in (and another bottle of additive) when I did the pinion seal swap too.

http://www.valvoline.com/products/brands/durablend/gear-oil/62
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: synth in a posi rear   synth in a  posi rear Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 9:01 pm

Have a look under the car. I'll bet ten that the diff cover never came off Wink
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: synth in a posi rear   synth in a  posi rear Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 9:07 pm

jayoldschool wrote:
Have a look under the car. I'll bet ten that the diff cover never came off Wink

I hear you there, I told her NOT to take it back tomorrow until I can look at it, so I suspect that is the case. So then I REALLY will be pissed
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: synth in a posi rear   synth in a  posi rear Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 9:08 pm

Man that would suck...but Jay has a point...
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com

PostSubject: Re: synth in a posi rear   synth in a  posi rear Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 9:29 pm

I am with Jay on this one besides I bet at most they probably threw a little gear oil on the cover to make it look like they worked on it.
IMHO
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: synth in a posi rear   synth in a  posi rear Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 9:59 pm

Ouch. We have those tires plus places up here. Ripoff artists to the extreme. Hope you get this worked out for your mom.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: synth in a posi rear   synth in a  posi rear Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 10:08 pm

There's a really good thread over on the Garage Journal right now about the quick lube places. Some "interesting" stories...
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: synth in a posi rear   synth in a  posi rear Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 9:24 pm

jayoldschool wrote:
There's a really good thread over on the Garage Journal right now about the quick lube places. Some "interesting" stories...

I didn't get over to my Mom's today, but she called them and they toldher the additive was in the lube they used..... I wrote the info down but left it on my desk at work. Will investigate tomorrow and see if there is a new gasket on the diff.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: synth in a posi rear   synth in a  posi rear Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 9:36 pm

Jay I should take your ten Smile
I didn't even pull the jack out of my wagon, the gasket was fresh.
I did notice on the floor of Mum's garage, evidence of drippings but nothing that would have been considered a dry unit type of leak (car spends more time in garage then on the street).

So......was it leaking? Yeah but a drip every couple of days type of thing.

I ran compnine on it and noticed, not only did it have a G80, but also 3.42 rear. I've driven the car several times in the past, but not like today.

Research told me if I got on it hard and the oil/additive wasn't doing it's job, it'd chatter and you could feel/hear it.

ROAD TEST! cheers

I stomped it pulling out of my Mom's development and to my surprise on very dry pavement that 3800 spun both rear wheels sporting pretty fat rubber. Car slid out into the second lane with the arse hanging out and the posi did it's thing and put it all where it was supposed to be. Heyyyyyyyyyy this little motor puts it down. The car is optioned out and I did notice on compnine sumthin' about performance pkg on the engine.

I was pleasantly surprised that I could slide it around corners with ease on dry pavement, and even got posi axle hop on one turn so I knew it was all good. All was quiet in the rear so I'd say while they overcharged her for the work, they did what they were supposed too.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: synth in a posi rear   synth in a  posi rear Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 10:29 pm

Glad it worked out! And yep I really like those 3800's. Running little motors!
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: synth in a posi rear   synth in a  posi rear Icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 10:45 pm

Glad to lose this bet. Cold one on me next time I see you!
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: synth in a posi rear   synth in a  posi rear Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 4:23 pm

jayoldschool wrote:

Look forward to it.......hmmm saw there is a supercharger avail for this motor .....
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: synth in a posi rear   synth in a  posi rear Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 10:14 pm

i have a new eaton posi still in box the directions say not to use Synthetic
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: synth in a posi rear   synth in a  posi rear Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 10:28 pm

Sprocket wrote:
jayoldschool wrote:

Look forward to it.......hmmm saw there is a supercharger avail for this motor .....

Have the needed M90 sitting on my shelf. Needs a bearing and coupler kit and you'll need the intake, injectors etc. Don't think the blower 6.5 is ever going to happen Crying or Very sad

Bill
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: synth in a posi rear   synth in a  posi rear Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

synth in a posi rear
Page 1 of 1