GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mid-May Longroof of the Month

Go down 
+2
silverfox103
stockfornow
6 posters
AuthorMessage
stockfornow

stockfornow

Mid-May Longroof of the Month Empty
PostSubject: Mid-May Longroof of the Month   Mid-May Longroof of the Month Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2009 8:27 am

I am honored to be considered the LROM for May! My story starts out in the summer of 2005. I had just moved off my college campus and in need of some winter transportation. I asked my boss at the time what I should get for a vehicle and he told me to follow him to the parking lot. Sitting there was a 1992 Light Adriatic Blue Roadmaster with leather interior. We went for a ride and I was hooked! I couldn’t believe a vehicle like that could move so fast! (He now owns 4 wagons)

Later I told my dad I wanted a wagon and he was in disbelief. He couldn’t figure out why a 20 year old would want an old station wagon. We were both introduced to Fred (Ruphrax) by my boss and the search began for a wagon. While at Fred’s we went for a ride in an LT1 tow pack RMW. Fred asked if we were ready and my dad said “I guess”. Fred then pulled out of his shop and laid down two strips of rubber for at least a block. It was this moment that my dad understood why I wanted a wagon!

A few weeks later a 1995 DGGM Caprice with 115k miles came up for sale by Fred on Ebay. I bought it sight unseen.

Mid-May Longroof of the Month 1441828776055625556S600x600Q85

Mid-May Longroof of the Month 1441829412055625556S600x600Q85

What started out as my winter car became a passion (or obsession, depending on who you ask….). It started with tint, then an Impala grill I received for Christmas. After that a subwoofer went in and finally the 9C1 center caps and trim rings.

Mid-May Longroof of the Month 2858408040055625556S600x600Q85

Fast forward to early spring 2009…the Caprice now had 151k miles on it. It had a few problems along the way but always got me to my destination safe and sound. It hauled many things including a couch inside with an entertainment center on the top! (Still looking for that picture. Will post up if I find it.  )

My dad had picked up a White 1995 RMW with 65k from Fred a while ago that was originally from Dallas, Texas and my brother also had a 1995 tow pack RMW. Unfortunately, the Caprice began to show her age with a few problems. Nothing major but things I couldn’t fix on my own. I ended up taking her off the road for awhile.

Lucky for me, my dad was getting ready to sell his RMW. We worked out a deal and I am now in possession of it!

Mid-May Longroof of the Month 2025425120055625556S600x600Q85

But the passion (obsession) continued. I began searching Cragislist everyday because I did not want to drive my dad’s wagon in the winter. I came across a 100k mile 1995 DGGM RMW with a tow package in Buffalo, NY. It was owned by an 82 year old man that had a stroke and could not drive anymore. The underside is a little rusty but the paint is in great shape. Gave them an offer and it was accepted!

Mid-May Longroof of the Month 3323520353_a197c47499_b

Mid-May Longroof of the Month 3324353866_51cfbbbc6d_b

With three wagons in the driveway it was time to say goodbye to the one that started it all. I put the Caprice up for sale and it was sold to a member on the ISSF.

Mid-May Longroof of the Month 3323493439_c4ff5a8a17_b

No worries though as I have plans for the white RMW. I just had the Pype’s X pipe and Summit Turbo’s installed. My plans are to make a budget sleeper for now. The exterior will stay mostly stock (except suspension and wheels) with the main point a healthy 355 and possibly a shot of giggle gas! When the time and money comes, she will be stripped down and repainted black with some custom dark wood grain vinyl. But that is in due time.....
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Mid-May Longroof of the Month   Mid-May Longroof of the Month Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2009 11:15 pm

Nice Story, you owe it all to your boss when you were in college. I always liked the look of your caprice, clean and simple, with nice touches. You must be happy to get that low mileage southern car from your father. That's a good looking "winter" car. Nice find!

Tom C.

ps

Need to update your signature with your two RMW's
Back to top Go down
lornejay1

lornejay1

PostSubject: Re: Mid-May Longroof of the Month   Mid-May Longroof of the Month Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2009 6:03 pm

Nice, the passion is obvious for sure. I look at those 3 wagons in the driveway and every Funeral Home here had one in the 90's. That is exactly how the parking lot looked at our annual meetings. We were a wagonfest and had no idea.

Keep up the good work Tom, I look forward to this every month, Lorne.
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Mid-May Longroof of the Month   Mid-May Longroof of the Month Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 2:59 pm

Thanks for sharing. I remember seeing your Caprice at WagonFest, always liked it. Good luck with the new projects!
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Mid-May Longroof of the Month   Mid-May Longroof of the Month Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 9:45 pm

your story seems somehow familiar....they ARE like Potato Chips Razz

Nice story and look forward to the mods to come!!!
Back to top Go down
stockfornow

stockfornow

PostSubject: Re: Mid-May Longroof of the Month   Mid-May Longroof of the Month Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 8:34 am

Just found out I have a siezed rear shock in the white RMW. Looks like it's time for some Bilstein's!
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Mid-May Longroof of the Month   Mid-May Longroof of the Month Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 8:59 am

Better than a seized engine.

Tom C.
Back to top Go down
stockfornow

stockfornow

PostSubject: Re: Mid-May Longroof of the Month   Mid-May Longroof of the Month Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 8:13 am

silverfox103 wrote:
Better than a seized engine.

Tom C.

This is very true!
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Mid-May Longroof of the Month   Mid-May Longroof of the Month Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 12:29 pm

Nice story (and wagons) Smile

Chris
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mid-May Longroof of the Month   Mid-May Longroof of the Month Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mid-May Longroof of the Month
Page 1 of 1