GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

why only 2 years for the Olds Custom Cruiser?

Go down 
+6
81X11
bcreasy
a1awind
DBeaSSt
Fred Kiehl
Steve Smith
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Steve Smith

why only 2 years for the Olds Custom Cruiser? Empty
PostSubject: why only 2 years for the Olds Custom Cruiser?   why only 2 years for the Olds Custom Cruiser? Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 12:47 am

They were almost like the love child between a Roadmaster Estate and a Caprice wagon (and yes, as in most human mating positions, the Roadie was on top. Laughing ) Guess they just didn't sell as well as the Buick and Chevy counterparts. scratch
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: why only 2 years for the Olds Custom Cruiser?   why only 2 years for the Olds Custom Cruiser? Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 8:48 am

Sales...Sales...Sales

I have one of each. The 91 was a Buick in disguise, and the 92 was a hybrid of the Buick and the Caprice. It just did not have enough disguishing features to set it apart from the other two.
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: why only 2 years for the Olds Custom Cruiser?   why only 2 years for the Olds Custom Cruiser? Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 9:18 am

That and it freed up "space" for the 93 Fleetwood which rode down the same assembly lines as the B cars.

I so wish there had been an LT1 Cruiser... Sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
a1awind

a1awind

PostSubject: Re: why only 2 years for the Olds Custom Cruiser?   why only 2 years for the Olds Custom Cruiser? Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 9:33 am

i so wish i had a cruiser!
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: why only 2 years for the Olds Custom Cruiser?   why only 2 years for the Olds Custom Cruiser? Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 9:45 am

DBeaSSt wrote:

That can be fixed.
Back to top Go down
bcreasy

bcreasy

PostSubject: Re: why only 2 years for the Olds Custom Cruiser?   why only 2 years for the Olds Custom Cruiser? Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 10:38 am

DBeaSSt wrote:

Heres you one http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/2378030463.html
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: why only 2 years for the Olds Custom Cruiser?   why only 2 years for the Olds Custom Cruiser? Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 12:00 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
Sales...Sales...Sales

I have one of each. The 91 was a Buick in disguise, and the 92 was a hybrid of the Buick and the Caprice. It just did not have enough disguishing features to set it apart from the other two.

I didn't know there was a difference between the 91 and 92 Cruisers, other than the 350 became an option. As an Oldsmobile guy at heart, these are my favorite looks-wise of the wagons.

Does anyone have a breakdown of how the 91 and 92 are different? Just curious!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: why only 2 years for the Olds Custom Cruiser?   why only 2 years for the Olds Custom Cruiser? Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 12:58 pm

My next wagon is going to be an OCC. A 94+ wagon would be awesome, but OCC's are just so much cooler.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: why only 2 years for the Olds Custom Cruiser?   why only 2 years for the Olds Custom Cruiser? Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 1:01 pm

Yes they are cooler and since it takes longer to get everywhere you get to enjoy them more!
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: why only 2 years for the Olds Custom Cruiser?   why only 2 years for the Olds Custom Cruiser? Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 3:18 pm

Some day I'll take an LT1 wagon (not sure which one) and make a Cruiser out of it.

81X11 wrote:
Does anyone have a breakdown of how the 91 and 92 are different? Just curious!

-Mike

91 Cruisers had Buick quarter windows - 92 Cruisers had Caprice quarter windows

91 Cruisers had (if you got alloy rims) black Rockets in the center caps - 92 Cruisers had red rockets (the red is notorious for fading too, while the black seems to hold up better)

91 Cruisers had a silver Rocket on the grille - 92 Cruisers got a red one

91 Cruisers with ECC had a unit similar to the TBI Buicks - 92 Cruisers got a redesigned one which works more like the LT1 Buick (i.e. you can set the unit at full manual AND it remembers your fan settings between ignition cycles)

As you mentioned, the 350 became optional in 92, that wasn't Olds specific of course, Caprice got that too.

I think those are the only differences between years. Anyone remember others?
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: why only 2 years for the Olds Custom Cruiser?   why only 2 years for the Olds Custom Cruiser? Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 4:27 pm

The 91s have the Buick rear doors with the sail panels, and the 92s have the Caprice rear doors (they go along with the rear windows, and are not interchangable.

Both my 91 and 92 electronic climate controls work the same, except for the 92 having a non defrost rear window, and missing button for same (factory).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: why only 2 years for the Olds Custom Cruiser?   why only 2 years for the Olds Custom Cruiser? Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 4:46 pm

Well my 91 has the red rocket in the grill and in the O in Oldsmobile on the tailgate.Dont
know what that means but I am keeping it MAYBE.My alloys off of ebay all have the black
rockets which is fine with me considering their condition.
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: why only 2 years for the Olds Custom Cruiser?   why only 2 years for the Olds Custom Cruiser? Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 10:24 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:

Both my 91 and 92 electronic climate controls work the same, except for the 92 having a non defrost rear window, and missing button for same (factory).
i have been looking for a rear window without rear defrost in good shape they are tough to find. i tried scrapping rear defrost off the window in jy it does not completely come off
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: why only 2 years for the Olds Custom Cruiser?   why only 2 years for the Olds Custom Cruiser? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 9:18 pm

DBeaSSt wrote:
Some day I'll take an LT1 wagon (not sure which one) and make a Cruiser out of it.

a 94 RMW would be the obvious choice to clone to look like a 91 OCC. same window config and small mirrors
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: why only 2 years for the Olds Custom Cruiser?   why only 2 years for the Olds Custom Cruiser? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 9:29 pm

Sprocket wrote:
DBeaSSt wrote:

a 94 RMW would be the obvious choice to clone to look like a 91 OCC. same window config and small mirrors

If you found a wood delete, it would be pretty easy...just the cladding, nomenclature, front bumper (and metal part), grille, hood ornament, rear bumper, dashboard/pad, door interiors, and misc interior switches and such.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: why only 2 years for the Olds Custom Cruiser?   why only 2 years for the Olds Custom Cruiser? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 9:35 pm

mtrhead79 wrote:
Fred Kiehl wrote:

i have been looking for a rear window without rear defrost in good shape they are tough to find. i tried scrapping rear defrost off the window in jy it does not completely come off

I have only seen 2 with no defrost strips in the junk yard since I bought my 92. I have one on my 91 which came with defrost, and a friend of mine Vic has the other one. They make the tint on the rear window look a lot better.

One caution, the plastic parts of the hinge tend to have the insert rust and spin inside the plastic. If that happens, you can replace the plastic part by tapping the hinge pin out with a drift from the driver's side. You do not have to remove the car side of the hinge.
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: why only 2 years for the Olds Custom Cruiser?   why only 2 years for the Olds Custom Cruiser? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 10:00 am

I have to say, as an owner, the OCC is pretty sweet. I think what I liked best about my '92 was the vista roof plus the less formal rear window treatment of the Caprice. Oh, and the optional 5.7 that the '92 offered is a must IMHO.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: why only 2 years for the Olds Custom Cruiser?   why only 2 years for the Olds Custom Cruiser? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 10:20 am

Actually I think the Caprice style window is more formal looking. The RM window makes the car look like it is going faster, and is more racy looking. The sail panels on the rear doors can be a pain in the butt. I like both of my OCCs the 91 and 92. Both have had engine transplants, and now have LO5s. I would like to swap into a 6.0L LSx engine, and upgraded trans at some point.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: why only 2 years for the Olds Custom Cruiser?   why only 2 years for the Olds Custom Cruiser? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

why only 2 years for the Olds Custom Cruiser?
Page 1 of 1