GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

jumping tach and engine cutout

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
vixenpilot

jumping tach and engine cutout Empty
PostSubject: jumping tach and engine cutout   jumping tach and engine cutout Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 8:04 am

93 RMW, 5.7, The tach in my Roadie is constantly jittering and every now and then it feels like the engine momentarily cuts out. It seems to idle and run smooth in general for a 225k car. I've replaced all the sensors except the crank position sensor. I've replaced the egr valve and did a major ignition tune up including the module(and the grease). It ran great for a couple of months. I've also cleaned the ground strap from the engine to the body. Do you think the two symptoms are related? Could it be a faulty NEW module? Is the "cut out" I feel actually an indecisive transmission? Seems more ignition related all around to me......HMMMMMMMMMM

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: jumping tach and engine cutout   jumping tach and engine cutout Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 10:03 am

Have you done plugs, wires, cap and rotor with delco parts? Also, check your vac lines make sure you didn't break or knock anything off.

Last edited by 95BRMW on Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: jumping tach and engine cutout   jumping tach and engine cutout Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 10:06 am

First of all, you do not use dialectric grease, you use heat sink compound found at an electronics store like radio shack, for the module. Did you set your timing with the tach connector disconnected (on the PS valve cover)? Did you properly reconnect the tach connector? You could check the ground at the thermostat...make sure the bolt and threaded hole are clean (do when the engine is cold) and clean the lugs. It is the ground for the ECM and O2 sensor. Is your distributor tight? The wires at the ignition module on the distributor could be bare. I had that happen to me on a 90K car. Heat will make the insulation brittle and it will fall off. Then the obvious will happen...the wires touch, and wa-la ignition problems. Check the connector for the module in the distributor for cracking, I had every one break that I have disconnected. I hope I have given you some food for thought.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: jumping tach and engine cutout   jumping tach and engine cutout Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 4:46 pm

Since your Tach is talking to you do what Fred said to do.After my complete tuneup my engine
ran great but my tach was reading close to twice what the engine was actually turning.This
was found by using my antique code reader called a Monitor 4000 Enhanced from OTC. Any
way make sure your connections at the distributor housing on the drivers side.
IMHO
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: jumping tach and engine cutout   jumping tach and engine cutout Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

jumping tach and engine cutout
Page 1 of 1