GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

TBI AC Compressor

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
brokecello
brokecello

TBI AC Compressor Empty
PostSubject: TBI AC Compressor   TBI AC Compressor Icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2011 7:52 pm

Its time to replace the Compressor on the OCC. Sourced the other replacement parts locally but actually found a great deal on a ACDelco compressor (new) on Amazon.
Was $201.04 shipped to my door. Came with new washer seals as well.

Here is the link (passing it on if you want to snag one too)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

My pics from tonight when I opened the box....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com

TBI AC Compressor Empty
PostSubject: Re: TBI AC Compressor   TBI AC Compressor Icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2011 8:31 pm

Hey Chris was yours already converted to r134 and do you have access to a vaccuum pump
and the orifice tube tool?
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

TBI AC Compressor Empty
PostSubject: Re: TBI AC Compressor   TBI AC Compressor Icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2011 9:35 pm

Yes and yes Smile
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

TBI AC Compressor Empty
PostSubject: Re: TBI AC Compressor   TBI AC Compressor Icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2011 10:26 pm

Chris:

Careful. Good deals on compressors sometimes mean they have been sitting on a shelf for a while. With it off the car, put a couple of onces of lub in it and than rotate it slowly, listening for any onerous clicks and feeling for hard spots. Been stung a few times this way. If its been on the shelf for more than 6 months, than its suspect.

Bill
Back to top Go down

TBI AC Compressor Empty
PostSubject: Re: TBI AC Compressor   TBI AC Compressor Icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2011 11:21 pm

Great way to make Chris kinda nervous,Bill!If he feels a hard spot what do you recommend
he do then?My 91 OCC was converted to r134 in may of 03 and each year I have to ad 6 to 12
ozs of Artic Freeze to bring the outlet temp down to about 40 to 45 degrees.On my 95 due
to the electric fans it seems to cool great at low speeds and then cooling tapers off at higher
cruising speeds..Havent driven it that much in the heat yet but will this weekend.
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

TBI AC Compressor Empty
PostSubject: Re: TBI AC Compressor   TBI AC Compressor Icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2011 11:32 pm

Bill's good at feeling hard spots,...
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

TBI AC Compressor Empty
PostSubject: Re: TBI AC Compressor   TBI AC Compressor Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 10:56 am

Flasheroo wrote:
Great way to make Chris kinda nervous,Bill!If he feels a hard spot what do you recommend
he do then?My 91 OCC was converted to r134 in may of 03 and each year I have to ad 6 to 12
ozs of Artic Freeze to bring the outlet temp down to about 40 to 45 degrees.On my 95 due
to the electric fans it seems to cool great at low speeds and then cooling tapers off at higher
cruising speeds..Havent driven it that much in the heat yet but will this weekend.
Jim Gordon

Its easier to send it back when its still in the box than after its been installed, system evacuated and refilled with expensive freon. Takes only a minute to check with it off the car. Just make sure theres some lub in it. Its not uncommon to get one siezed solid after sitting for a few months.

Bill
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

TBI AC Compressor Empty
PostSubject: Re: TBI AC Compressor   TBI AC Compressor Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 11:05 am

That's a newer-style R4 compressor. You'll be fine with it most likely, they are made much better than the older ones. That's what I put on my 93 S-10 last year and want to put on my 88 Cutlass when the original compressor in it finally goes.

If you are not already using 134A these convert fine, but you of course want to replace the accumulator and orifice tube when you do the compressor, regarless of which chemical you use.

If you have an engine-driven fan you will also want to check the fan clutch for wear. It should lock up tight at low RPM's and pull a lot of air. It's also a good idea to take a hose and really clean out the fins on your condensor. 134A needs as much airflow as possible.

Good luck!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

TBI AC Compressor Empty
PostSubject: Re: TBI AC Compressor   TBI AC Compressor Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 7:44 pm

Well, I just put some oil in it and it seems fine by hand. Whew. Thanks for the warning/tip Bill....seriously!

Yeah, already been converted over and I have a new accumulator and orifice as well. Clutch is newer on the fan too but good note on cleaning the fins. I need to do that! Smile

Leaving for Memphis tomorrow morning, so won't get to work on everything until next week. BOO! BUT, hitting up the Memphis Pull a Part Sat Wink
We are taking the OCC up to WI and back again this year....and I need to get this done (and new front shocks) before we leave on the 22ond
Shocked
Back to top Go down

TBI AC Compressor Empty
PostSubject: Re: TBI AC Compressor   TBI AC Compressor Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 7:56 pm

Chris your OCCs twin is finally posted and yes I put the OCC grill back on.Only ran the SS
grill for a month and just like the factory grill better.I agree with you completely"The best
wagon ever".
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

TBI AC Compressor Empty
PostSubject: Re: TBI AC Compressor   TBI AC Compressor Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 8:06 pm

cheers I like the OCC grill a lot better but wasn't going to say anything.

Good deal!
Back to top Go down

TBI AC Compressor Empty
PostSubject: Re: TBI AC Compressor   TBI AC Compressor Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 8:24 pm

Didnt mean to send that pic but got in a hurry.Definitely a better looking grill on an OCC
anyhow.Mike the kids are fighting over my wagon.
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

TBI AC Compressor Empty
PostSubject: Re: TBI AC Compressor   TBI AC Compressor Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 8:29 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
Didnt mean to send that pic but got in a hurry.Definitely a better looking grill on an OCC
anyhow.Mike the kids are fighting over my wagon.
Jim Gordon

Thank you for calling me a kid! I'm in the middle of it too!!
Back to top Go down

TBI AC Compressor Empty
PostSubject: Re: TBI AC Compressor   TBI AC Compressor Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 8:38 pm

You havent been a kid for years Mike and the other 2 will probably argue for hours.Always
thought it was a great looking wagon but didnt think it would stir up the children this way.
LOL.I wish I had gotten to this broker a couple of weeks sooner and I would have bought
the other polished rims too.
Jim Gordon
Back to top Go down
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

TBI AC Compressor Empty
PostSubject: Re: TBI AC Compressor   TBI AC Compressor Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 1:11 pm

brokecello wrote:
BOO! BUT, hitting up the Memphis Pull a Part Sat Wink
Why on earth would you travel all the way here to hit the junk yard? Is there something there I don't (or should) know about? scratch
Back to top Go down
http://www.lakelandraceway.com/friends_garage
brokecello
brokecello

TBI AC Compressor Empty
PostSubject: Re: TBI AC Compressor   TBI AC Compressor Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2011 7:05 am

Olds Weighty Eight wrote:
brokecello wrote:
BOO! BUT, hitting up the Memphis Pull a Part Sat Wink
Why on earth would you travel all the way here to hit the junk yard? Is there something there I don't (or should) know about? scratch

Wife had a seminar at the Hilton....I don't attend, so I went yarding Sat morning. No wagons at the PaPart Sad 2 LT1 RMS that were pretty picked. I did get a nice coolant tank, oil cooler delete filter adapter, some nice Buick emblems and a cup holder insert for my extra Bravada console!

Well worth the $10 it all cost Wink

Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

TBI AC Compressor Empty
PostSubject: Re: TBI AC Compressor   TBI AC Compressor Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2011 9:10 am

You should have driven to Little Rock. They have two good Pick-N-Pulls there. It's a straight-shot from Memphis.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

TBI AC Compressor Empty
PostSubject: Re: TBI AC Compressor   TBI AC Compressor Icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 7:28 pm

Well, got it installed and it works like a charm Smile Ice cold AC baby!

I used the HFreight hoses and pump...which I would recommend if you will use it lightly like I will. Worked fine for me.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

TBI AC Compressor Empty
PostSubject: Re: TBI AC Compressor   TBI AC Compressor Icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 8:01 pm

Hey Chris did your hoses come with those fancy ends on them or did you buy them seperately?
How long did your pump have to run to pull enough vaccuum?Lots of questions but I was
looking at those hose ends last time I was in HF.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

TBI AC Compressor Empty
PostSubject: Re: TBI AC Compressor   TBI AC Compressor Icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 8:17 pm

Hoses came with the factory ends...the newer connections mind you, not the r12 ones. My OCC was already converted over when I bought it.

Ran the vac for about 20mins and let it hold for 5 before I charged up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

TBI AC Compressor Empty
PostSubject: Re: TBI AC Compressor   TBI AC Compressor Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

TBI AC Compressor
Page 1 of 1