GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Peparing For A Worst Case.. Feeler For A Rear Carrier

Go down 
+6
lakeffect
Krzdimond
phantom 309
Fred Kiehl
95BRMW
Cadet57
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Cadet57

Cadet57

Peparing For A Worst Case.. Feeler For A Rear Carrier Empty
PostSubject: Peparing For A Worst Case.. Feeler For A Rear Carrier   Peparing For A Worst Case.. Feeler For A Rear Carrier Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 9:15 pm

In case my carrier is really damaged I'll need a new one. If anyone has one please lmk. Car has 3:23's and a posi so to keep that would be ideal. Nothing is set in stone until we tear the car down on Sunday, but if I do need one I might as well start my search early.

Thanks

Justin
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Peparing For A Worst Case.. Feeler For A Rear Carrier   Peparing For A Worst Case.. Feeler For A Rear Carrier Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 9:45 pm

I have that sedan axle with a posi and 3.08s. If your up to a gear swap it would be a bit of an upgrade.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Peparing For A Worst Case.. Feeler For A Rear Carrier   Peparing For A Worst Case.. Feeler For A Rear Carrier Icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 10:37 pm

Wondering how 3.08s are an upgrade from 3.23's over here.

<_<
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Peparing For A Worst Case.. Feeler For A Rear Carrier   Peparing For A Worst Case.. Feeler For A Rear Carrier Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 8:28 pm

Stingroo wrote:

<_<

I thought in the realm of gears the lower the number the "worse" they were. I thought 3:23's were the highest/best gears you could get in the wagons?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Peparing For A Worst Case.. Feeler For A Rear Carrier   Peparing For A Worst Case.. Feeler For A Rear Carrier Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 9:00 pm

The higher the numerical ratio, the more power multiplication you get. To go along with that you get higher engine speeds on the highway. There is a point where performance and gas mileage are acceptable tradeoffs. 3.23s are a decent set of gears. I would stick with them. The sedan axle is not the axle you want. The wagon has a much wider rear, and the spring perches are set equally wide. Usually the carrier is not damaged, that is why they use seals and bearings that are removable.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Peparing For A Worst Case.. Feeler For A Rear Carrier   Peparing For A Worst Case.. Feeler For A Rear Carrier Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 9:02 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
The higher the numerical ratio, the more power multiplication you get. To go along with that you get higher engine speeds on the highway. There is a point where performance and gas mileage are acceptable tradeoffs. 3.23s are a decent set of gears. I would stick with them. The sedan axle is not the axle you want. The wagon has a much wider rear, and the spring perches are set equally wide. Usually the carrier is not damaged, that is why they use seals and bearings that are removable.

Yeah I thought the sedan rear wasn't as wide. I don't think the carrier is damaged from my little 3 wheeled adventure, but just in case it is.. here we are. I'll know by Monday whether I'll need one or not.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Peparing For A Worst Case.. Feeler For A Rear Carrier   Peparing For A Worst Case.. Feeler For A Rear Carrier Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 9:08 pm

better buy a trans,. driveshaft, new shocks, crossmember, tail pipe, etc,..

just in case,.

and don't over tighten aluminum rims,. 100ft lbs max,.the brakes heat the aluminum rims,. they swell,. that stretches the studs,.

Last edited by phantom 309 on Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Peparing For A Worst Case.. Feeler For A Rear Carrier   Peparing For A Worst Case.. Feeler For A Rear Carrier Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 9:11 pm

phantom 309 wrote:

just in case,.

Thanks Nick! You're so awesomely helpful
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Peparing For A Worst Case.. Feeler For A Rear Carrier   Peparing For A Worst Case.. Feeler For A Rear Carrier Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 9:13 pm

Cadet57 wrote:
phantom 309 wrote:

just in case,.

you're a waste of bandwidth,. google your own part numbers, you lazy prick.
amnd it takes 30 secs to see if the pumpking got hurt,. but ever notice just how big the brake drum is?

meh,.

Last edited by phantom 309 on Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Peparing For A Worst Case.. Feeler For A Rear Carrier   Peparing For A Worst Case.. Feeler For A Rear Carrier Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 9:13 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
Cadet57 wrote:
phantom 309 wrote:

just in case,.

you're a waste of bandwidth,. google your own part numbers, you lazy prick.

Feeling is mutual. F***bag.
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Peparing For A Worst Case.. Feeler For A Rear Carrier   Peparing For A Worst Case.. Feeler For A Rear Carrier Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 11:12 pm

ENOUGH!!!! I have had it!

The two of you muddy up every....single.....thread that the two of you post in.

There is a personality conflict. Great. We get it. Move on, BOTH of you.

I recognized the sarcasm from both of your posts and thought it was funny, why can't you?

Further bouts with this drivel will be met with deleted posts and you will be sent to your respective corners without any supper.

We came here to get away from heavy moderation, and I think we (mods) have done a good job of giving everyone here enough rope to hang themselves with (it's a figure of speech..... not to be taken literally), but enough is enough. It stops here and now.

I do not expect the two of you to shake hands and make up, but I do expect you to respect the opinions of others.

Understood?

Justin, your last post was a violation of the TOS and was edited by me.

Robert AKA Krzdimond
Admin
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Peparing For A Worst Case.. Feeler For A Rear Carrier   Peparing For A Worst Case.. Feeler For A Rear Carrier Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2011 9:03 am

Back to topic ... 3.23:1 may have been the highest gear ratio that Gm gave our wagons, but it is far from the limit of what can be done.

There are many here who've swapped out gear sets for more acceleration with our heavy boats. 3.73:1 is not an uncommon swap. I din;t go quite that far. I went from 3.08:1 to 3.42:1 and a posi just this week. There are a few about with 4.11:1 but I chose not to kill my already pitiful gas mielage by doing so.

One of the issues is that the spline count for wagons is different thant say grabbing a camaro rear end.

Additionally we have ABS and a reluctor ring on the pinion(looks like a gear, but is not) You can swap a non ABS Ring and Pinion set in but you will loose the ABS funtion. Take the bulb out of your dash, no more idiot light.. Since I only drive Shammoo in non-winter weather, I could live with no ABS just like I did for the past 40 years in all my other cars. That, and not shelling out $139 for the aftermarket reluctor.

I got my gear t from an flea market at a car show, and my posi from 200OZ.

Installation cost was a killer, as I did not want to do work that is critical, but have no experience in. I paid a professional.

Dave
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Peparing For A Worst Case.. Feeler For A Rear Carrier   Peparing For A Worst Case.. Feeler For A Rear Carrier Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2011 9:24 am

lakeffect wrote:

Installation cost was a killer, as I did not want to do work that is critical, but have no experience in. I paid a professional.

Dave

Eaxctly why I wanted the whole carrier ready to go so I can pretty much just bolt in and go. That way I'm not swapping gears and all that jazz.
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: Peparing For A Worst Case.. Feeler For A Rear Carrier   Peparing For A Worst Case.. Feeler For A Rear Carrier Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2011 9:27 am

What was installation cost? I've got the 2.94 with no posi, and just bought a set of 3.08 gears.
Back to top Go down
http://www.unseengallery.com
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Peparing For A Worst Case.. Feeler For A Rear Carrier   Peparing For A Worst Case.. Feeler For A Rear Carrier Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2011 9:37 am

Nick. I paid about $750.00 for installation but that also included anew yokes on the drive shaft and new bearings all around.

Can't say you'd see much advantage with the 3.08's over the 2.94's.
I just took out a set of 3.08's. Did you but new?

In the back of my mind there is a nagging question on the carriers used. I remember below a certain ratio, the carriers are not the same. Double check that you can still swap just the gears from a 2.94 unit.

I just have a bad feeling there is something else required. I hope I'm wrong.

Anybody remember or know for sure?
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Peparing For A Worst Case.. Feeler For A Rear Carrier   Peparing For A Worst Case.. Feeler For A Rear Carrier Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2011 9:40 am

lakeffect wrote:
Nick. I paid about $750.00 for installation but that also included anew yokes on the drive shaft and new bearings all around.

Can't say you'd see much advantage with the 3.08's over the 2.94's.
I just took out a set of 3.08's. Did you but new?

In the back of my mind there is a nagging question on the carriers used. I remember below a certain ratio, the carriers are not the same. Double check that you can still swap just the gears from a 2.94 unit.

I just have a bad feeling there is something else required. I hope I'm wrong.

Anybody remember or know for sure?

2:56's have the smaller carrier, 2:92 and up uses the same carrier as the larger ratios
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Peparing For A Worst Case.. Feeler For A Rear Carrier   Peparing For A Worst Case.. Feeler For A Rear Carrier Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2011 9:46 am

Thanks!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Peparing For A Worst Case.. Feeler For A Rear Carrier   Peparing For A Worst Case.. Feeler For A Rear Carrier Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2011 9:50 am

Holy Crap Dave I would have bought a book/DVD and taught myself how to install a R&P.To each
his own.What did you do sell some sheep?Believe the seperation ratio is 2.73.Still want tl hear about the difference in the way your wagon now drives,please!
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Peparing For A Worst Case.. Feeler For A Rear Carrier   Peparing For A Worst Case.. Feeler For A Rear Carrier Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2011 10:02 am

I have to baby it for a while for the pattern to wear in more.

I'll be lighting them up in about five hundred miles.
Time was also an issue, can't lay it up, and I'm saving my time off for Wagonfest week.

Driveways and jackstands another. Maybe lack of confidence in my own skills another. It took me three years to find a bad wire.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Peparing For A Worst Case.. Feeler For A Rear Carrier   Peparing For A Worst Case.. Feeler For A Rear Carrier Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2011 10:29 am

Justin, I will have the complete rear out of the marshmallow soon if you want it. 2.93 with working posi...
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Peparing For A Worst Case.. Feeler For A Rear Carrier   Peparing For A Worst Case.. Feeler For A Rear Carrier Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2011 10:30 am

Babying new gears is a myth. If they are installed correctly, they are ready to go. They should be silent. Go ahead and romp on it.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Peparing For A Worst Case.. Feeler For A Rear Carrier   Peparing For A Worst Case.. Feeler For A Rear Carrier Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2011 10:38 am

toomanytoyz wrote:
Justin, I will have the complete rear out of the marshmallow soon if you want it. 2.93 with working posi...

If I end up needing it i'll PM you. Thanks for the heads up Crovo.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Peparing For A Worst Case.. Feeler For A Rear Carrier   Peparing For A Worst Case.. Feeler For A Rear Carrier Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2011 11:52 am

Dave if I had paid that much money for my R&P install there would already be 500 miles on those
new gears.Probably as soon as I backed out of the garage I would be hitting the road.Cant wait to hear about the difference you feel in acceleration!
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Peparing For A Worst Case.. Feeler For A Rear Carrier   Peparing For A Worst Case.. Feeler For A Rear Carrier Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2011 2:35 pm

jayoldschool wrote:
Babying new gears is a myth. If they are installed correctly, they are ready to go. They should be silent. Go ahead and romp on it.

YEEEEHAAAAAA!
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: Peparing For A Worst Case.. Feeler For A Rear Carrier   Peparing For A Worst Case.. Feeler For A Rear Carrier Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2011 4:17 pm

shop around, you might find a good shop that will do a gear/posi swap for approx $250. Places specializing in 4x4s usually have more experience in this.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: Peparing For A Worst Case.. Feeler For A Rear Carrier   Peparing For A Worst Case.. Feeler For A Rear Carrier Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2011 5:54 pm

Cadet57 wrote:
Stingroo wrote:

<_<

I thought in the realm of gears the lower the number the "worse" they were. I thought 3:23's were the highest/best gears you could get in the wagons?

They are different lengths. If you wanted to swap the carrier and gears over that can be done.

toomanytoyz wrote:

If Justin ends up not needing it I may want it (delivered to wf?)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Peparing For A Worst Case.. Feeler For A Rear Carrier   Peparing For A Worst Case.. Feeler For A Rear Carrier Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Peparing For A Worst Case.. Feeler For A Rear Carrier
Page 1 of 1