GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Eliminating binding when using poly bushing UCA's

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Scot

Eliminating binding when using poly bushing UCA's Empty
PostSubject: Eliminating binding when using poly bushing UCA's   Eliminating binding when using poly bushing UCA's Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 1:24 pm

I've been meaning to write this up a while, a question about the Buick brace reminded me. I've used Umi Adjustable rear upper control arms, standard and extended size, and Hotchkis Adjustable standards on four cars, three T-56 cars and one auto. Always under very hard transient turning, even at low (autocross) speeds, I've felt some bind or at least tension from the UCA's. On all four cars after installing rear frame braces from Dick Miller Racing #5029-w, all of that binding has been eliminated. It took driving a B-body with stock oem uppers to prove to myself that the cars with the poly bushing arms and the braces have no more constriction than the stock car. As to the Buick brace...For less $$ than OEM or the ebay offer, just go to a muffler shop and have them take a piece of 1 1/2 stainless exhaust pipe 40 inches long, put a small bend to clear the filler pipe, hammer it in between the frame rails, spot weld it and they should be ok with $40 cash most places. Takes ten minutes total. It's no more structural than the Buick brace but hammering in between the frame rails makes those rails a lot more rigid than the brace ever could. I've done it in addition to installing rear frame braces and then there is a structural improvement ($125. for the 5029-w braces)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Eliminating binding when using poly bushing UCA's   Eliminating binding when using poly bushing UCA's Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 2:31 pm

Thanks Scot for the info.Sounds like you push your B bodys pretty hard.
JG
Back to top Go down
Scot

PostSubject: Re: Eliminating binding when using poly bushing UCA's   Eliminating binding when using poly bushing UCA's Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 3:18 pm

I'm looking forward to being back and pushing them again by June. Where are you in Yorktown? I'm stationed at Camp Peary and have a home in Toano when I'm not here in Afghanistan. I've also owned a 6 acre farm for years in Bradford, Ma but most of the time a few weeks in summer is all that I am there. The farm land is leased to a local farmer and so stays in production without me. Some pictures of my cars were posted in the Bad Talk section under "who is Scot?" of the New England SS forum http://badass-of-ne.forumotion.com/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Eliminating binding when using poly bushing UCA's   Eliminating binding when using poly bushing UCA's Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 5:31 pm

Scot when you get to the bridge heading North,look to the left.My house is in the only neighborhood on that hill.I am about 20 minutes from Camp Spook as we call it.You have
anything to do with those numberless choppers constantly buzzing my house?Is that old
Cobra attack copter still flying?Lived here for over 50 years and use to hear all kinds of
wild stories about Camp Peary when I was younger.
JG
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Eliminating binding when using poly bushing UCA's   Eliminating binding when using poly bushing UCA's Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Eliminating binding when using poly bushing UCA's
Page 1 of 1