GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hello from Grand Rapids, MI

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Hello from Grand Rapids, MI Empty
PostSubject: Hello from Grand Rapids, MI   Hello from Grand Rapids, MI Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 10:20 am

I have spent some time on the impalassforums wagon section before when I had a '91 Olds CC.

I had travelled from MI by plane to Florida to buy the wagon and drove it back home. A few years ago I sold it to Fred Kiehl (also a member here I believe), who flew up to MI, and drove the car back down to Florida. I guess it likes being in a warm climate. Smile

I have generally missed the car since I sold it and though I'm not quite ready to buy another, I'm always shopping/looking/learning/watching/dreaming, etc.

Ideally I'd eventually like to end up with an LT1 wagon to use as a trackday tow rig for my little '80 VW Rabbit track car, and as a family road trip machine. I've had my eye on a few Impala clone wagons. I love the look of the bubble wagons with smoothie bumpers front and rear.

I haven't been on the impalassforum.com in awhile, namely because it's blocked at my work. ha! So far this site is in the clear. Smile

A few pics of my wagon when I had it:

Hello from Grand Rapids, MI Dsc00640

Hello from Grand Rapids, MI Dsc00661

...and not a GM product, but my wife has a smaller wagon now as well. '08 Volvo V50 T5 when we picked it up:

Hello from Grand Rapids, MI Side

Maybe we'll have a B-body again in our future someday.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Grand Rapids, MI   Hello from Grand Rapids, MI Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 10:53 am

Welcome to the gang "oldswagon" and that is a beautiful wagon that you sold Fred.Kinda like
the way you painted all of the lower cladding the same as the rest of the wagon.I have a 91
OCC and a 95 RMW.Better hurry up and get you another wagon from florida!
Jim
PS Really like that little V50 Volvo too!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Grand Rapids, MI   Hello from Grand Rapids, MI Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 11:35 am

Flasheroo wrote:
Welcome to the gang "oldswagon" and that is a beautiful wagon that you sold Fred.Kinda like
the way you painted all of the lower cladding the same as the rest of the wagon.

Thanks Jim. I actually bought the wagon with the suspension and bodywork already modified as shown. I only painted the door jams as they did not match when I purchased the car and did some other mechanical work. The gentleman I bought it from was an elder kustom guy heavy into lead sleds and older rods. He kept the cladding and grille as he wanted to keep the Olds heritage intact. Though I love the Olds grill, I always thought the cladding transition to the smoothy bumpers was a little awkward.

Flasheroo wrote:
Better hurry up and get you another wagon from florida!

I always look south! For the couple hundred bucks a cheap one way flight and a tank or two of gas, the lack of rust is priceless. As someone who turns all my own wrenches, I'll take a day trip south any day especially when buying 10+ year old cars. I have a '97 Jimmy 4x4 in my garage as I type this that was a Michigan truck and in trying to change the front wheel bearings I sheared off seized rusted bolts on the front calipers on BOTH sides! ARRGHH!

Flasheroo wrote:
PS Really like that little V50 Volvo too!

Yeah we love it too. It's fairly compact but makes excellent use of it's space. We live right near downtown GR and it is easy to parallel park and for her to maneuver downtown. I like it as the turbo inline 5 rips! We stumbled on it mainly by accident as we were going to test drive a Taurus X at a Ford dealer and they had it marked way below KBB presumably off a corporate lease or something and it was out of the scope of all the rest of the vehicles on their lot and it was immaculate. My wife drove it, came back with a big grin on her face about how "zippy" it was, and that was all it took. It passed the stroller fit test, and all the seats fold flat so it's still plenty useful.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Grand Rapids, MI   Hello from Grand Rapids, MI Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 2:10 pm

Welcome and hope you get another whale soon!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Grand Rapids, MI   Hello from Grand Rapids, MI Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 9:53 pm

Welcome - Now you gotta hurry up an gitcha one
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/carissmacom/home
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Grand Rapids, MI   Hello from Grand Rapids, MI Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hello from Grand Rapids, MI
Page 1 of 1