GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

seat conversion

Go down 
+4
81X11
Bewber
Sprocket
buickestate
8 posters
AuthorMessage
buickestate
buickestate

seat conversion Empty
PostSubject: seat conversion   seat conversion Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 5:54 pm

my 91 is almost back on the road so time to turn my attention to the driver's seat, it's not well the frame is bent and the cusion foam has had better days. Since I happen to have a decent passenger seat handy with a frame and foam that seem to be in decent condition even if it's a different colour I feel it's a good candidate to become my new driver's seat.

the passenger seat has the electric recline mechanism, and my driver's seat has the manual lever style recline mechanism. I removed the electric system from the passenger seat frame then replacing it with the manual system. there is a bit of welding to be done, thats the stage where I'm at right now. I've also tossed the tan seat covers into my washing machine and they've come out clean as new! I'll have to do some sewing but nothing major.

seat conversion DSC01889

seat conversion DSC01890

seat conversion DSC01891

seat conversion DSC01892

seat conversion DSC01896

seat conversion DSC01897

seat conversion DSC01900

seat conversion DSC01903

more to come as work progresses
Back to top Go down

seat conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: seat conversion   seat conversion Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 6:56 pm

How did you get that recline lever out of the non-power seat?

Got pics of that and/or relatively detailed instructions?
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

seat conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: seat conversion   seat conversion Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 7:06 pm

stingroo, everything is either bolted or pinned together, simple hand tools and it all comes apart
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

seat conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: seat conversion   seat conversion Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 9:11 pm

buickestate wrote:
stingroo, everything is either bolted or pinned together, simple hand tools and it all comes apart

I tried that with an alarm clock once.....had about 20 parts left over and it never worked again......undaunted I bought a 4x4 and that was soo much simpler, lol

Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

seat conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: seat conversion   seat conversion Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 10:10 pm

but I took pictures so I have an idea how to put it all back
currently stitching up the driver's seat bottom, had to mod it a bit and make a new right side panel.

More pics this week end
Back to top Go down

seat conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: seat conversion   seat conversion Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 11:10 pm

Knowing Ray he would end up stitching his hand to his ass!
Jim lol!
Back to top Go down

seat conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: seat conversion   seat conversion Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 12:12 am

No stitching in this project, hopefully.

lol
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

seat conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: seat conversion   seat conversion Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 10:50 am

lots of stitching was used to accomplish this project.....

here is the finished new driver's seat. added some extra layers of foam in the seat.

seat conversion DSC01906
seat conversion DSC01907
seat conversion DSC01908
seat conversion DSC01909
Keep in mind that this seat once looked like this

seat conversion DSC01889

I took both seats apart, used the frame from the passenger seat, the manual recline mechanism from the old driver's seat the foam from the driver's seat back, the foam from the passenger seat bottom. the driver's seat cover had to be partially broken down have the center panel removed, then used that fabric make the new right side panel, then there is a plastic band/clip thing that is used to secure the bottom seat cover on the passenger seat frame that also should be swapped over to the old driver's seat cover.
There was also some welding to be done to secure the manual recliner mechanism to the seat frame. I also to the time to prep and paint the seat frame, since it had some light surface rust. All in all I got about 6 hours of sewing and about two hours in disassembly and reassembly.

any questions just ask
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

seat conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: seat conversion   seat conversion Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 1:36 pm

Why does it burn when I pee?
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

seat conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: seat conversion   seat conversion Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 1:46 pm

Bewber wrote:
Why does it burn when I pee?

try turning off the power to the fence, before you pee next time
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

seat conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: seat conversion   seat conversion Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 3:16 pm

NICE WORK! Looks great!
Back to top Go down

seat conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: seat conversion   seat conversion Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 7:29 pm

Very Nice Work Pat and the extra foam looks nice too!
Jim
Back to top Go down

seat conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: seat conversion   seat conversion Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 1:22 pm

Okay Pat. I'm lost.

"Simple hand tools and it all comes apart" isn't enough for me, apparently. LOL

I took the rails off so under my seat basically looks like this pic you posted:

https://2img.net/h/i187.photobucket.com/albums/x189/buickestate/DSC01903.jpg

I still can't for the life of me see how the recline lever comes off. Little help?
Back to top Go down
nhgonzo

nhgonzo

seat conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: seat conversion   seat conversion Icon_minitimeTue Nov 22, 2011 6:59 pm

Nice Pat

These are for a 96,
swap the bottom of another passenger side and repaired some wires from the heating pad.

seat conversion 0610002007

seat conversion 0610002038
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/nhgonzo

seat conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: seat conversion   seat conversion Icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2011 11:22 am

I owe Pat two 12 packs of Cherry Coke if we ever cross paths at an event. Seat is ready to go in. Recline lever is on the driver's side like it's supposed to be.

Just waiting for one more gadget to arrive from UPS before interior work begins. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

seat conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: seat conversion   seat conversion Icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2011 11:51 am

Looks great, Pat! Nice work!
Back to top Go down

seat conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: seat conversion   seat conversion Icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2011 1:19 pm

seat conversion 379884_2769125953949_1431987960_3194240_1525441401_n

Aaaaaand it's in!

That's half of the job. Smile
Back to top Go down

seat conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: seat conversion   seat conversion Icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2011 1:35 pm

Well it looks good to me Ray!We have another Hot Rod wagon among us.Nice work kid!
Jim
Back to top Go down

seat conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: seat conversion   seat conversion Icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2011 1:36 pm

Well it looks good to me Ray!We have another Hot Rod wagon among us.Nice work kid!
Jim
Back to top Go down

seat conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: seat conversion   seat conversion Icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2011 1:36 pm

Love it when that happens!
Jim
Back to top Go down

seat conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: seat conversion   seat conversion Icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2011 2:05 pm

I try. Smile I LOVE the seat. I'm really happy about the way that turned out versus just cutting my bench.
Back to top Go down
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

seat conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: seat conversion   seat conversion Icon_minitimeWed Nov 23, 2011 11:06 pm

Looking good guys
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/carissmacom/home
Grumpy

seat conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: seat conversion   seat conversion Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 11:07 am

Good job !!! I just put a set of Buick seats in my OCC.. They are GREAT !!! Went to a power seat for the pass side so my wife can actually see out the windshield now Cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

seat conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: seat conversion   seat conversion Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

seat conversion
Page 1 of 1