GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Difference between RMW and Caprice Wagon of same year.

Go down 
+4
94Woody
Krzdimond
DBeaSSt
100T
8 posters
AuthorMessage
100T

Difference between RMW and Caprice Wagon of same year. Empty
PostSubject: Difference between RMW and Caprice Wagon of same year.   Difference between RMW and Caprice Wagon of same year. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 11:48 am

Hi all,
Just wanted to ask what is a difference between 94 RMW and Caprice wagon?
Besides obvious things like no vista roof on Caprice, different bumpers, side moldings and dashboard, what else is different?
And given that both vehicles I am looking at are about in the same condition and price range what would you chose and why?
Thanks!
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Difference between RMW and Caprice Wagon of same year.   Difference between RMW and Caprice Wagon of same year. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 11:59 am

The obvious differences you mentioned are there of course. The RMW's have a bit more sound deadening.

There are also features on the RMW which were optional or not available on the Caprice. Keyless entry is one example, standard on RMW (though can be deleted) not available on Caprice. Power windows, seats and such were optional on the Caprice and standard on the RMW. Automatic headlights, not available on Caprice, standard (but again, could be deleted) on RMW. Automatic climate control standard on RMW, not available on Caprice. Things of that nature and there are others too.
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
100T

PostSubject: Re: Difference between RMW and Caprice Wagon of same year.   Difference between RMW and Caprice Wagon of same year. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 12:07 pm

Thanks! So basically bells and whistles that could go wrong. I guess I'll be able to add aftermarket keyless entry later if I'll decide to go with Caprice...
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Difference between RMW and Caprice Wagon of same year.   Difference between RMW and Caprice Wagon of same year. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 12:11 pm

The short answer is that the Buick is a higher trim level than the Chevy. More toys, power stuff, different seats, and dash. Depending on the year, there are also some other differences like Electronic Climate control, Twilight sentinal, Cornering lights, etc.

For the most part, they are the same car. Do not decide on Make alone. (unless it's a 1996 Chevy, because there were only 485 of them made)

I picked the Buick because it was close, low miles, rust free, dark blue, cheap, available, did I mention rust free??
Back to top Go down
100T

PostSubject: Re: Difference between RMW and Caprice Wagon of same year.   Difference between RMW and Caprice Wagon of same year. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 12:19 pm

Actually I am trying to find cleanest 94-96 car within my budget and colors (don't laugh! wife's request).
Buick would be nice to have but I can see potential problems with vista-roof leaking, climate control module etc.

From the other side, I'd love to have leather seats and keyless entry. Both could be added later from parts car as I understand.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Difference between RMW and Caprice Wagon of same year.   Difference between RMW and Caprice Wagon of same year. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 5:47 pm

I love them both but prefer the lesser optioned Caprices myself. Never been a big fan of lots of bells and whistles.

My goal is to have both from the 96 model year though.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Difference between RMW and Caprice Wagon of same year.   Difference between RMW and Caprice Wagon of same year. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 7:09 pm

Having both and driving both here's my take.

The RMW is quieter (as mentioned about insulation)
Living in Florida I like cloth better (leather gets hot!)

I've not heard of the vista glass ever leaking and after trying to take one out unsuccessfully I can say they are glued in like a summabitch.

If you are going to use the roof rack get the Caprice as the RMWs rack is alot shorter and will restrict how much stuff you can load up there.

Both makes leak in the back given enough time. Either it's the roof rack strip mounting nuts or the side glass (many threads over the years on this issue) On the prospective car look for signs of dampness in the 3rd seat foot well, and pull the side panels off and look in both rear quarters down low. Pass side has a drain hole under the spare so usually won't hold water, driver side will.

As mentioned less rust the better period. I'd choose this over color any day.

Since you are looking at LT1 engined cars, I would prefer the tow back over the non tow pack as they have a posi rear and 2.93 vs 2.56 rear and are noticeably quicker when you drive one. Mechanical fan under the hood = tow pack car. you can also decode the spid label in the tailgate.

HTH!
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Difference between RMW and Caprice Wagon of same year.   Difference between RMW and Caprice Wagon of same year. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 7:22 pm

I like the interiors and seats better in the RMW's by far. The auto climate control is FTW!

I do however, like the smooth caprice side glass better. But the interiors are UGLY and the "seats" are a torture device...

I do currently own a RMW without dual power seats, cornering lights, and twilight sentinal, though. Who knew they made a "strippy" RMW? Sad
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Difference between RMW and Caprice Wagon of same year.   Difference between RMW and Caprice Wagon of same year. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 8:43 pm

havent ridden in the back seat of the RMW but the rear seat (not 3rd row) in the caprice felt like half of my a$$ was on the floor the whole time.... I didn't like but I'm usually driving so not my problem not sure if the RMW rear is any better. Guess I'll have to go try it out when the wife gets home.

One plus for the Caprice though is there is alot more avail replacement door panels out there.
I've had my tan int '94 RMW for 2 years and still looking for a drivers door panel in good shape in any color at the boneyard.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Difference between RMW and Caprice Wagon of same year.   Difference between RMW and Caprice Wagon of same year. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 9:17 pm

I'm opposite as I cannot stand the RMW interior, not that the Caprice is anything spectacular either though.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Difference between RMW and Caprice Wagon of same year.   Difference between RMW and Caprice Wagon of same year. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 9:59 pm

get either modify it to suit your taste,. add options as needed,. seats as desired,. make the car what you want,. caprices are easier to clone into an SS wagon,.and they look the part when done,.
what kind of a budget ??maybe i can help? i have a modified chevy wagon for sale,. started life as a 94 but added the later mirrors,. has SS parts including96 SS floor shifter and console,. impala SS seats SS hood+ grille,. lumina steering wheel,. some interesting flames,. impy wheels,some dress up stuff under the hood cd player,. all new brakes steering and exhaust,. lowered ,. more stuff i,ve forgotten about,. like the tinted windows, roadmaster leather back seat,. etc,.

NickDifference between RMW and Caprice Wagon of same year. CopyofMVC-029S
Back to top Go down
100T

PostSubject: Re: Difference between RMW and Caprice Wagon of same year.   Difference between RMW and Caprice Wagon of same year. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 10:48 pm

Thanks, very nice made, but I'd like to have something more stock looking. With heavy right foot I try not to drug extra attention from the Ontario cops.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Difference between RMW and Caprice Wagon of same year.   Difference between RMW and Caprice Wagon of same year. Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 3:54 pm

Caprices have more knee room in the front too.

I prefer roadmasters to caprices for interior, except that the roadmaster door panels suck worse than the Caprice door panels. But you can fiberglass the back of them and then they'll last nearly forever.

RMW limited ('95-96) seats are pretty comfy. Other seats, not so comfy. I also dislike Caprice seats. I put bonneville seats in both of my cars and don't regret it. It does eat into the rear seat room though. These cars have cramped 2nd row seats period.
Back to top Go down
100T

PostSubject: Re: Difference between RMW and Caprice Wagon of same year.   Difference between RMW and Caprice Wagon of same year. Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 4:40 pm

sherlock9c1,
Could you post images of the Bonneville seats or link on the separate topic if you have any? Did you fabrikate adapters or used rails from the original seats?
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Difference between RMW and Caprice Wagon of same year.   Difference between RMW and Caprice Wagon of same year. Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 11:41 pm

I fabricated adapters. There were templates on the ISSF but honestly, when you bolt in the fronts of the bonneville seats, you'll see how to make the brackets for the rears.

I'll have pictures up shortly. Keep your eyes open.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Difference between RMW and Caprice Wagon of same year.   Difference between RMW and Caprice Wagon of same year. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Difference between RMW and Caprice Wagon of same year.
Page 1 of 1