GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Local Clamshell - not for sale : (

Go down 
+2
jimbeau
81X11
6 posters
AuthorMessage
81X11

81X11

Local Clamshell - not for sale  : ( Empty
PostSubject: Local Clamshell - not for sale : (   Local Clamshell - not for sale  : ( Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 4:50 pm

This car belongs to an older guy that lives just off Main St in Round Rock. I don't know if you'd consider him a hoarder but he has a BUNCH of old cars, most covered under tarps, and some in the garage and behind his house. Some are NICE, including a sweet 70 442 and a Chevelle SS. He also had a white Roady wagon under cover for a while, but I did not see it today.

ANYWAY he has this '76 Custom Cruiser (square headlights) and it and the Ford pickup in front of it are his daily drivers. When we moved to Round Rock in the late 90's my shop was a block from his house, and this car was really pretty. Sadly the sun is getting to it both inside and out now. I spoke to the guy a while back, and he still won't sell it. Said then when it finally wears out he'll start driving the Roadmaster.

This is not a high-option car, it has the standard vinyl seats, but it does have power windows, locks, tilt, and a/c. It's also got the 455 in it, and being a Texas car is totally rust free....just sun damaged.

I'll keep pestering. Maybe he'll let it go one day!
Local Clamshell - not for sale  : ( Cruiser1
Local Clamshell - not for sale  : ( Cruiser2
Local Clamshell - not for sale  : ( Cruiser3

-Mike
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Local Clamshell - not for sale : (   Local Clamshell - not for sale  : ( Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 7:00 pm

Mike,you better be careful or they will start calling you the crazy wagon nut.Stops at peoples
houses and parking spots taking pictures and trying to buy cars that are not for sale.I think
your affliction is common among wagon nuts.I have had the same guy stop at my house twice in the last 5 or 6 years trying to buy my wagon.
Jim
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Local Clamshell - not for sale : (   Local Clamshell - not for sale  : ( Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 7:01 pm

Oh I've known the guy with this Olds for years. We made a/c hoses for him many times.

As for the black Roady in the parking garage, that one is a mystery.....
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: Local Clamshell - not for sale : (   Local Clamshell - not for sale  : ( Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 11:55 pm

My 74 got 8 mpg.
Be aware.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Local Clamshell - not for sale : (   Local Clamshell - not for sale  : ( Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 6:44 am

jimbeau wrote:
My 74 got 8 mpg.
Be aware.

Hahaha, yep that'd be one to clean up and paint and use for going to the weekly cruise-in, not fo daily driving!
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: Local Clamshell - not for sale : (   Local Clamshell - not for sale  : ( Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 8:40 am

81X11 wrote:
jimbeau wrote:
My 74 got 8 mpg.
Be aware.

Hahaha, yep that'd be one to clean up and paint and use for going to the weekly cruise-in, not fo daily driving!
How does that guy afford to drive that everyday? Even out here, every so often you see some old guy driving a seriously old car. I saw a guy on the parkway a few years back driving a '66ish Impala sedan. The car was beat up but not rusty. The guy looked like he was in his 90's, leaning forward and squinting. Made sure to give him room!
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Local Clamshell - not for sale : (   Local Clamshell - not for sale  : ( Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 8:57 am

Lynol wrote:
81X11 wrote:
jimbeau wrote:
My 74 got 8 mpg.
Be aware.

How does that guy afford to drive that everyday? Even out here, every so often you see some old guy driving a seriously old car. I saw a guy on the parkway a few years back driving a '66ish Impala sedan. The car was beat up but not rusty. The guy looked like he was in his 90's, leaning forward and squinting. Made sure to give him room!

Back in the late 80's in high school when I was pumping gas at a gas station in Bernardsville NJ we had a regular customer in his late 60's that drove a total sleeper, a bare-bones light gold bench-sseat 68 Catalina 2dr sedan with a 428 and a floor stick, with no power steering or power brakes, and LOUD duals. It was funny watching him force the steering to turn in and around the pumps. It was rusty but original and he came in there in rain, snow, everything. That car was a BEAR. Rough but sounded so good. He'd had it forever as far as I know. Kinda wild.
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: Local Clamshell - not for sale : (   Local Clamshell - not for sale  : ( Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 6:14 pm

Lynol wrote:
That '66 didn't weigh near as much, or have anywhere near as many cubes. It probably got 16+ mpg. When you start getting close to 10 mpg, things get expensive fast.

This looks like a good time for a learning exercise:

Here's your situation: You have two rides; an SUV that gets 10 mpg and a ricer that gets 25 mpg
You have to drive 50 miles to work each day. 100 miles round trip.
A trusted guy comes up to you and offers you one of two deals.
He either wants to trade you an SUV that gets 11 mpg for your 10 mpg slug... OR
he'll trade you a 33 mpg ricemobile for your present 25 mpg bug.

Which trade will save you more gas?
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Local Clamshell - not for sale : (   Local Clamshell - not for sale  : ( Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 6:29 pm

100 miles/ 10mpg = 10 gallons
100 miles/ 11mpg = 9.1 gallons

a savings of .9 gallons a day

100 miles/ 25mpg = 4 gallons
100 miles/ 33mpg = 3.3 gallons

a savings of .7 gallons a day

Given the hard numbers, the SUV would be the best trade.... BUT round the numbers a bit, and it's a wash. Same benefit with either trade.

Best is to trade the SUV for the ricer.....

Damn, I hate going to school.......
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: Local Clamshell - not for sale : (   Local Clamshell - not for sale  : ( Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 7:44 pm

i like the ford pickup in front looks like no real rust
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: Local Clamshell - not for sale : (   Local Clamshell - not for sale  : ( Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 10:50 pm

Krzdimond wrote:
100 miles/ 33mpg = 3.3 gallons

A little off... It's 100 miles/ 33mpg = 3.03 gallons

Now it's almost dead nuts. See the difference being near 10 mpg and being near 20 mpg?
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Local Clamshell - not for sale : (   Local Clamshell - not for sale  : ( Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 11:04 pm

I admit, I used a calculator for the 11mpg.... but not on the others Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Local Clamshell - not for sale : (   Local Clamshell - not for sale  : ( Icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 10:39 am

my 73 caddy and 70 blazer got about 8 mpg and about 14 on the hwy.
One time driving to up north and back in the 73, my Dad was hypermiling by shifting into N on the downgrades, got 14.7!!! WOOOOOOW, lol that was about 1980 or so.
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: Local Clamshell - not for sale : (   Local Clamshell - not for sale  : ( Icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 11:29 am

If gas is cheap, you can find a way to drive just about anything with some regularity, but at $3.50+ a gallon, even I would wince.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Local Clamshell - not for sale : (   Local Clamshell - not for sale  : ( Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Local Clamshell - not for sale : (
Page 1 of 1