GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

As Darrell Waltrip once sang.......

Go down 
+7
jimbeau
Lynol
roadmastercouple
s1l1sc
Cadet57
92cappy
94X2
11 posters
AuthorMessage
94X2

94X2

As Darrell Waltrip once sang....... Empty
PostSubject: As Darrell Waltrip once sang.......   As Darrell Waltrip once sang....... Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 1:21 pm

....."you picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel"

As Darrell Waltrip once sang....... 005-1
This happened last night not long after I got on I-40. I was going about 70 and a State Trooper came out of the median after someone that had just blown by me. When he came out I hit the brakes and about the time I got down to about 45 I heard a bang and the car started shaking terribly. At first I thought I had blown a tire but obviously not. The wheel was still wedged up inside the well. At least I didn't have to chase it down. I'm actually glad that the Trooper came out like that because I hate to think what might have happened if I hadn't slowed.

When the Trooper came back and checked on me, he asked what year my car was. I told him 95 and he asked "LT-1?" I told him yes and he said "those things will run 150" and I answered "not this one. it barely goes above 70". He was a fan of the 9C1's.

While I was sitting there someone fell asleep at the wheel about 1/8 mile behind me and crashed. They didn't get hurt and at least I got to watch all that activity while passing the time. I had to wait for another driver to get my totes and then a wrecker. I sat there about 5 hours.

Now I get to put new studs in and root through my wheel collection for something with a good tire since the rim is a little messed up. I'm just glad I didn't have the Impala wheels on it Smile

Jon
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: As Darrell Waltrip once sang.......   As Darrell Waltrip once sang....... Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 1:24 pm

Ouch Jon,glad you didnt get hurt or do damage to your wagon.Repalcement parts should not be
a problem for you.Was the inner fenderwell damaged?
Back to top Go down
92cappy

92cappy

PostSubject: Re: As Darrell Waltrip once sang.......   As Darrell Waltrip once sang....... Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 1:52 pm

Ouch indeed. That's pretty scary, to have all five studs break like that. I've only had one break on me, but at least they're easy to replace (relatively)
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: As Darrell Waltrip once sang.......   As Darrell Waltrip once sang....... Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 2:16 pm

Damn!

Glad you're ok. That could have gone much worse considering you were on the highway. Had that happen to me this past summer, made a hell of a noise and I was only doing 30. I can only imagine what it sounded like at 70!
Back to top Go down
s1l1sc

PostSubject: Re: As Darrell Waltrip once sang.......   As Darrell Waltrip once sang....... Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 2:23 pm

Having had 2 out of four break on the toyota I have a pretty decent idea as to what a bad feeling this must have been...
Glad to hear you are ok and no major damage as a result of this.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: As Darrell Waltrip once sang.......   As Darrell Waltrip once sang....... Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 3:14 pm

Damn, that's crazy.

Been there done that with the wheel thing though... glad everything worked out for you. Smile
Back to top Go down
94X2

94X2

PostSubject: Re: As Darrell Waltrip once sang.......   As Darrell Waltrip once sang....... Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 3:34 pm

A little damage to the quarter panel, it dented from the inside. The tire must have got it. I will say it''s easier to get the back wheel off with no studs, just probably not the smart way to do it.

Jon
Back to top Go down
roadmastercouple

roadmastercouple

PostSubject: Re: As Darrell Waltrip once sang.......   As Darrell Waltrip once sang....... Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 3:46 pm

thats crazy glad your ok i had the front hub/rotor assembly crack all the way around the collar on my 98 s10 blazer
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: As Darrell Waltrip once sang.......   As Darrell Waltrip once sang....... Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 3:55 pm

Wow, scary stuff. How bad's the quarter panel?
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: As Darrell Waltrip once sang.......   As Darrell Waltrip once sang....... Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 4:00 pm

This makes me wonder: When was the last time you had this wheel off?
If it was for new tires, you may want to check the other wheels that they overtightened before they snap too.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: As Darrell Waltrip once sang.......   As Darrell Waltrip once sang....... Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 4:14 pm

Boy you got lucky my friend...... Glad to see you did not wreck the car either. Hope to see you next week

Tim

Last edited by BigBlackBeaSSt on Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: As Darrell Waltrip once sang.......   As Darrell Waltrip once sang....... Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 5:55 pm

jimbeau wrote:
This makes me wonder: When was the last time you had this wheel off?
If it was for new tires, you may want to check the other wheels that they overtightened before they snap too.

Ditto Glad to hear it was relatively minor... I had the tire bow on me at 75 but was running a N97 rim at the time so aside from the tread beating my quarter panel in, I hardly noticed in the control of the vehicle. But this is a lot different.

Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: As Darrell Waltrip once sang.......   As Darrell Waltrip once sang....... Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 11:25 am

Wow that's scary! Were the lugs too tight? What do you think caused that?
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: As Darrell Waltrip once sang.......   As Darrell Waltrip once sang....... Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 11:44 am

81X11 wrote:

yeah jon,. tell us do you think your nuts were too tight?? *snicker*

rear wheel ins't as exciting as a front wheel off,. but none the less you,re ok, and so.s the car,. thich is all good,.

Nick
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: As Darrell Waltrip once sang.......   As Darrell Waltrip once sang....... Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 1:13 pm

Nick speaks truth. Front wheels off are... exciting.

Sad
Back to top Go down
94X2

94X2

PostSubject: Re: As Darrell Waltrip once sang.......   As Darrell Waltrip once sang....... Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 1:25 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
81X11 wrote:

yeah jon,. tell us do you think your nuts were too tight?? *snicker*

rear wheel ins't as exciting as a front wheel off,. but none the less you,re ok, and so.s the car,. thich is all good,.

Nick

That could be it. I am married and my nuts haven't been off in a while...Oh wait, wrong ones Crying or Very sad

I really don't know what caused it. Chalk it up to s@#$ happens I guess. I am glad it was the back wheel since that was enough fun for me. At 326k I guess I really am driving the wheels off Rolling Eyes

Jon
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: As Darrell Waltrip once sang.......   As Darrell Waltrip once sang....... Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 1:29 pm

I see what you did there.

Also, holy crap that's a lot of miles.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: As Darrell Waltrip once sang.......   As Darrell Waltrip once sang....... Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 2:27 pm

326K!

Good deal I have a long way to go before mine fall off too!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
94X2

94X2

PostSubject: Re: As Darrell Waltrip once sang.......   As Darrell Waltrip once sang....... Icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 2:47 pm

81X11 wrote:
326K!

Good deal I have a long way to go before mine fall off too!! Very Happy

Your what fall off? I thought if you brought any more cars home yours would get shot off scratch

Jon

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: As Darrell Waltrip once sang.......   As Darrell Waltrip once sang....... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

As Darrell Waltrip once sang.......
Page 1 of 1