GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Somebody please refresh an old man's memory

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
jimbeau

Somebody please refresh an old man's memory Empty
PostSubject: Somebody please refresh an old man's memory   Somebody please refresh an old man's memory Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 8:24 am

What size are the stock front door speakers? 3x5?
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Somebody please refresh an old man's memory   Somebody please refresh an old man's memory Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 8:28 am

chevy or Buick?

Buick came with the 6.75 round and the Chevy had the 4X6
Back to top Go down
Lynol

Lynol

PostSubject: Re: Somebody please refresh an old man's memory   Somebody please refresh an old man's memory Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 8:54 am

6.5" on the Buicks... but a bunch of aftermarket 6.5" speakers don't fit right for some reason... The more powerful the speaker I guess the larger the frame and magnet are and the less chance of them fitting in the mounting bracket correctly. I never buy expensive speakers, so it's never been a problem!
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: Somebody please refresh an old man's memory   Somebody please refresh an old man's memory Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 7:57 pm

I didn't know the door sheet metal was different between the Cap & RM.
So, I have 4x6 holes in my door. Thanks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Somebody please refresh an old man's memory   Somebody please refresh an old man's memory Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 8:02 pm

The best thing you can do for your poor wagon is 6.5 adapters or pods in the doors.
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: Somebody please refresh an old man's memory   Somebody please refresh an old man's memory Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 1:42 am

I have a sub, so 'bigness' isn't required there. 8-9 years ago, I bought a pair of Infinity speakers for the front doors, and they have been a couple of pieces of inefficient junk. I had to tweak the amp up to make them heard over the Lincoln/JBL speakers on the rear wheelwell humps. Those speakers 'fit' my ears quite well, but they are 6x8's so I don't want to cobble up the door to make them fit.
Back to top Go down
cadillac kevin

PostSubject: Re: Somebody please refresh an old man's memory   Somebody please refresh an old man's memory Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 10:53 pm

I've got a set of 6.5 adapters from a buick (or maybe it was a caddy), but you have to mod them for them to fit.

@jimbeau
how do you like the JBL lincoln speakers? I've always wanted to pull a set out of the junkyard and try them out just for the hell of it.
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: Somebody please refresh an old man's memory   Somebody please refresh an old man's memory Icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 12:34 am

They have a 'bright' sound, which is fine with me, because I have to pump up the treble anyways. They are also efficient, so you get more oomph per watt. I'm talking about the door speakers that are totally enclosed in back. I've had 'em at ear-splitting levels and they haven't burned out. The infinity's were the rage a while back; but, like I said, inefficient junk as far as I'm concerned. Btw, they are made by Panasonic, just like all JBL car speakers and the bullet-proof Milwaukee Screwdriver and all of Milwaukee's battery-powered tools. When I buy aftermarket speakers, I look for Panasonics first. The kids don't think they are cool, so they haven't reached the stratosphere money-wise, and they are efficient and durable.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Somebody please refresh an old man's memory   Somebody please refresh an old man's memory Icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 12:37 am

Infinity is overrated. Just sayin'.
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: Somebody please refresh an old man's memory   Somebody please refresh an old man's memory Icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 12:48 am

Really?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Somebody please refresh an old man's memory   Somebody please refresh an old man's memory Icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 1:19 am

Yeah. They're the first thing any non-car audio person will think of when upgrading that isn't sold at WalMart, so they automatically associate them with being good. IMO, plenty of brands do what Infinity does for cheaper. I'm a Powerbass fan, I know people who are big time Kenwood fans, and I also really like MB Quart, myself.

But alas, as long as you're happy with what you buy, that's the important part.
Back to top Go down
cadillac kevin

PostSubject: Re: Somebody please refresh an old man's memory   Somebody please refresh an old man's memory Icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 1:26 am

I have infinity speakers and I think they're decent (I own much better, but I've heard far far worse). then again, I paid $10 for the 4x6 plates and $15 for 2 6.5 woofers and crossovers. For the price I paid, I'd say they're really good (better than stock anyways). for MSRP, I'd say they're a bit overpriced, and I would have never bought them new. then again, most low/ mid grade newer car speakers aren't that great IMO (most have very little bass response or sound tinny...I guess the speaker manufacturers think bass response doesnt matter if you have a sub?)

as for the jbls, I'll snag a set next time I go to the junkyard and give them a listen. at under $5 per speaker, I can't really lose.

Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: Somebody please refresh an old man's memory   Somebody please refresh an old man's memory Icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 1:49 am

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Somebody please refresh an old man's memory   Somebody please refresh an old man's memory Icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 1:56 am

Precision Power... there's a name I haven't heard since I was a (younger) kid. Ha.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Somebody please refresh an old man's memory   Somebody please refresh an old man's memory Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Somebody please refresh an old man's memory
Page 1 of 1