GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Bullet Build starts

Go down 
+6
toomanytoyz
94Woody
brokecello
DBeaSSt
sherlock9c1
sstripes96
10 posters
AuthorMessage
sstripes96

The Bullet Build starts Empty
PostSubject: The Bullet Build starts   The Bullet Build starts Icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 8:14 pm

We finally got all the parts back from the machine shop and the build has started on the replacement bullet for the wife's 96 Caprice wagon. My wife says that since it's her car, she wants to bend the wrenches. Works for me. The spare LT1 that I had in the garage was in really good shape and needed very little machine work. The heads got new Comp Cams beehive springs, locks and keepers. Shaved .002 to true them up and ported with a 3 angle valve job. The intake and exhaust ports were port matched to the intake and headers. The block only needed a hone and I had the crank bore and connecting rods line bored. The block was decked .003 to true it up. Stock pistons and connecting rods with new rings. Polish the crank and chamfered the oil holes. Comp Cams 501 roller cam. LT4 Extreme Duty timing chain and gears. Clear Image Gen 2 Tri-Y headers, high flow cats. We went with a Mezeire electric water pump and dual electric Impala fans. Melling high pressure pump and beefed up pump driveshaft. Bryan Herter PCM program.
Here's a few pics of the days activities.

The Bullet Build starts DSCN4278
Getting Started
The Bullet Build starts DSCN4279
The Babe and the Bumpstick. She likes the way the cam lube makes her hands soft.
The Bullet Build starts DSCN4280
Torquing the main caps. What a woman. And she likes Beer to.
The Bullet Build starts DSCN4282
Installing connecting rod bearings and checking ring gap offset.

Last edited by sstripes96 on Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: The Bullet Build starts   The Bullet Build starts Icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 8:27 pm

The fact that she's wearing a Summit Racing shirt says it all!
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: The Bullet Build starts   The Bullet Build starts Icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 8:46 pm

Cool!

sherlock9c1 wrote:
The fact that she's wearing a Summit Racing shirt says it all!

I was thinking the same thing. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: The Bullet Build starts   The Bullet Build starts Icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 8:57 pm

Nice!! She aint no slouch!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: The Bullet Build starts   The Bullet Build starts Icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 11:02 pm

Awesome, we all should be so lucky to have a woman like that Smile
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: The Bullet Build starts   The Bullet Build starts Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 7:52 am

Sweet man! Congrats! That's awesome.

(And good luck on the motor, too... Wink)
Back to top Go down
sstripes96

PostSubject: Re: The Bullet Build starts   The Bullet Build starts Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 10:14 pm

Here you go guys. Pics from the Day 2 activities.

The Bullet Build starts DSCN4287
The Bullet Build starts DSCN4288
The Bullet Build starts DSCN4289
The Bullet Build starts DSCN4290
Back to top Go down
sstripes96

PostSubject: Re: The Bullet Build starts   The Bullet Build starts Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 10:15 pm

More day 2.

The Bullet Build starts DSCN4291
The Bullet Build starts DSCN4293
The Bullet Build starts DSCN4294
Back to top Go down
sstripes96

PostSubject: Re: The Bullet Build starts   The Bullet Build starts Icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 10:04 pm

Almost done. Tomorrow the greasy part starts.

The Bullet Build starts DSCN4298
She adjusts valves better than I do.

The Bullet Build starts DSCN4295
I had to test fit Dans GEN 2 Tri-ys. #5 plug is going to be close but it can be done.

The Bullet Build starts DSCN4296
Now that is orange!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: The Bullet Build starts   The Bullet Build starts Icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 10:29 pm

Looks great, nice to see a small block the correct color.
Back to top Go down
sstripes96

PostSubject: Re: The Bullet Build starts   The Bullet Build starts Icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2009 8:31 pm

Out with the old. This thing was leaking from almost every seal.
The Bullet Build starts DSCN4313
In with the new. We'll drop it in on Sunday. God I hope I remember where all the connectors go.
The Bullet Build starts DSCN4308
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: The Bullet Build starts   The Bullet Build starts Icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2009 8:49 pm

sstripes96 wrote:
Out with the old. This thing was leaking from almost every seal.
The Bullet Build starts DSCN4313

Your "old, leaking from every seal" engine is cleaner than my "ain't leaking from anywhere I can find" engine.
Back to top Go down
Chakotay

Chakotay

PostSubject: Re: The Bullet Build starts   The Bullet Build starts Icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 6:28 am

Krzdimond wrote:

Your "old, leaking from every seal" engine is cleaner than my "ain't leaking from anywhere I can find" engine.

My thoughts exactly, that's one of the cleaner engines I've seen in quiet awhile Shocked
Back to top Go down
sstripes96

PostSubject: Re: The Bullet Build starts   The Bullet Build starts Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2009 8:25 pm

IT IS DONE.
Dropped it in on Monday and worked all week long trying to get the wiring back into place. The hardest part was keeping any wires away from the headers. It cranked right away. Took it for a ride tonight after working out some bugs and this thing pulls HARD and strong. I love it.

Got a problem tho. I had the car running more or less for 4 hours today and the radiator hose from the thermostat to the radiator NEVER got hot. You could tell that the thermostat was opening by watching the temp gauge. Ive got a 180 thermostat and Bryan did the programming. The fans come on when they are supposed to. I burped the system probably 10 times. The car did not ever come close to overheating. The heater is blowing hot air. Is it a big air bubble some where?

The Bullet Build starts DSCN4374
The Bullet Build starts DSCN4369
The Bullet Build starts DSCN4371
The Bullet Build starts DSCN4373 Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: The Bullet Build starts   The Bullet Build starts Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2009 8:33 pm

cheers Congrats!! You got that done fast Smile

Man...you might still have a bubble in there...that is kinda odd Suspect Or your cooling system is extremely efficient...
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: The Bullet Build starts   The Bullet Build starts Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2009 10:53 pm

When I first got my wagon it had that same cool hose issue with no overheating. Turned out to be a plugged radiator in my case.
Back to top Go down
sstripes96

PostSubject: Re: The Bullet Build starts   The Bullet Build starts Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 4:31 am

That's not the problem. New radiator, new water pump, new hoses, new block, new thermostat. Its got me stumped. You can squeeze the radiator hose and it doesn't feel like any antifreeze is in it. If the thermostat was stuck shut this thing would overheat in a heartbeat. If it was stuck open, I would think that the hose would at least be warm. Question Suspect Question
Back to top Go down
jturkey69

jturkey69

PostSubject: Re: The Bullet Build starts   The Bullet Build starts Icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 10:44 pm

I know everything is clean under the hood now, but I would at least confirm the possibility there is no coolant running through the upper hose by pulling it off the rad. side. Did you happen to remember how many gallons of coolant you put in?
Back to top Go down
firewood

firewood

PostSubject: Re: The Bullet Build starts   The Bullet Build starts Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 11:36 pm

Hey, I was looking for this thread because I met you guys at SSHS9. It was indeed a pleasure to meet the folks who put this nice wagon together. I wish my wife had been with me so she could meet your wife!
Back to top Go down
sstripes96

PostSubject: Re: The Bullet Build starts   The Bullet Build starts Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 1:41 pm

Thanks Firewood. It was great to see everyone again and the parking lot party is always the best. The wagon is still running great. My private engine builder keeps up with it. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
sstripes96

PostSubject: Re: The Bullet Build starts   The Bullet Build starts Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 1:44 pm

JTurkey,
Dont know what the problem was. I yanked the hoses back off, flushed the rad and block (which is sooooo easy with an electric water pump) and refilled everything. Its fixed itself and everything is running great. 2 Gallons of water and 2 gallons of antifreeze
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Bullet Build starts   The Bullet Build starts Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Bullet Build starts
Page 1 of 1