GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands

Go down 
+6
jimbeau
Olds Weighty Eight
lakeffect
Krzdimond
silverfox103
Zorrodeporro
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Zorrodeporro

Zorrodeporro

Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands Empty
PostSubject: Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands   Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands Icon_minitimeSat Jun 09, 2012 3:10 am

Hi, I'm Marcel from Amsterdam in The Netherlands. I've been driving American cars for more than 15 years. Most people over here drive the small Asian and European stuff so you really stand out of the crowd when you drive in Detroit steel.

I'v owned several Caprices like these ones:
Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands DSC00016
Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands Markt1
Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands Markt2
Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands Afbeelding007x
Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands Markt

But since 2001, we own this beautiful longroof:
Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands DSC000121
Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands X4
Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands Auto
Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands Voorforum2

We have three sons, so a longroof is a great car for vacations. We have made trips to Sweden, Italy, France, we even rode over the Alpes mountains. We have seen a lot of great places with this great car.

Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands Febmaart2006127
Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands C5e67d45
Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands 28147500

Somewhere in France:
Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands DSC00861

Dutch winters:
Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands Afbeelding021

The government uses salt in the wintertime against ice on the roads. Ofcourse this is really bad for the cars. So, I've treated my car with an anti-rust treatment. They spray a stuff called Dinitrol all over the bottem of the car and this helps to prevent corrosion.
Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands Afbeelding049
Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands Afbeelding050
Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands Afbeelding044
Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands Afbeelding047
Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands Fotowiel2

A longroof is also very easy when one of your sons plays soccer and the match is another town.
Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands Rgtbb139

This is always our Christmas card:
Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands Cid_3343816337_5939885-1
Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands Kerstkaart5

This is my other daily driver, a '70 Cadillac convertible. Totally restored in 5 years. But a whole different story.
Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands IMG_2037

It's a very reliable car. A part form the regular maintenance I have never had any serious problems, alltough we have driven more than 100.000 miles. In the 11 years since I own my Caprice, the car only let me down two times. One time a broken waterpump and the other time a broken alternator. It's a great car and we'll never sell it. In a way the car has become a member of the family. Laughing
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands   Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands Icon_minitimeSat Jun 09, 2012 7:02 am

Hey Welcome Marcel

Glad you found us. You have had a nice little collection over the years. We have several European members and the list is growing. Just off the top of my head there is "DutchPete" and "Marcin" who is from Poland. Not 100% sure, but I think Marcin may have a Caddy also or it may have been one of his friends.

Being in the wagon group, you see plenty of wagons, but you never see a 70 Caddy convertible, maybe at a show. That would be my favorite, I also like that boxy caprice.

You'll find a lot of info here and really good guys, with a common interest.

Tom C.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands   Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands Icon_minitimeSat Jun 09, 2012 7:39 am

NICE! All of them.

That interior color is sweet too. Maybe it's just the way it's photographed, but it doesn't look like anything I've ever seen before on a Caprice. Did you have it re-done? Looks amazingly clean for a car that sees constant use. I applaud you. Smile
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands   Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands Icon_minitimeSat Jun 09, 2012 7:52 am

Welcome Zorro!

I agree on the color.... unusual for a red car to have guts in a color other than red. How did you come by this car? Did you have it imported, or was it there already?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands   Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands Icon_minitimeSat Jun 09, 2012 8:22 am

Well, not just that, but it looks much lighter than the TBI tan color.

...Maybe it's the color it's supposed to be when clean. lol!
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands   Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands Icon_minitimeSat Jun 09, 2012 8:42 am

I loved the picture will all the kids from the soccer team in it. Great shot!
Back to top Go down
Zorrodeporro

Zorrodeporro

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands   Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands Icon_minitimeSat Jun 09, 2012 8:58 am

Hi Guys and thank you all for the warm wellcome. My Caprice wagon is just all original. I never had it re-painted and the interior is exactly the way it was when I bought it more than 10 years ago. Allthough we use the car as a daily driver we treat him well. (But with three boys it's miraculously nice, I agree :-) The car was imported the the Netherlands in 2000 by someone else.

Here some more pic of my Caddy. The other cars like the boxy Caprice and the white boat are long gone...
Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands IMG_2035

Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands 1100000

There are more Cadillac nuts in the Netherlands.
Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands IMG_0238

Parking in Amsterdam is sometimes a drag with a Caddy.
Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands Gracht

This was also big fun. I parked our wagon in the garden and we slept in our car!
Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands Kamperen

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands   Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands Icon_minitimeSat Jun 09, 2012 9:00 am

Awesome. Smile

I also like how in the Caddy parking pic, there's a covert wagon. lol

Planned? Or was that just by chance?
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands   Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands Icon_minitimeSat Jun 09, 2012 9:11 am

I was wondering the same thing. What are the odds of a B-body wagon just sitting there?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands   Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands Icon_minitimeSat Jun 09, 2012 12:02 pm

Welcome to the gang Marcel!Those are some great pics of your wagon being used the way it is suppose to be used.You have a beautiful family that all seem to enjoy the wagon as much as you
do.Glad to hear that american card are so popular over there and dont worry,we have the same problems parking these bohemoths as well due to these annoyingly small parking spaces.Those are some beautiful Caddys as well!
Back to top Go down
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands   Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands Icon_minitimeSat Jun 09, 2012 12:50 pm

Great selection of cars! It's nice driving unique vehicles so that you don't often 'see yourself' coming & going and yours are very unique as far as you are from Detroit. Welcome to the forum.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lakelandraceway.com/friends_garage
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands   Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands Icon_minitimeSat Jun 09, 2012 3:19 pm

Forgot all about it, my neighbor has got a 56 4 dr. Caddy, a 60 Caddy converible and a 65 4 dr Caddy.

Tom C.
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands   Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands Icon_minitimeSat Jun 09, 2012 6:28 pm

Welcome to our enthusiast from the Netherworld!
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands   Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands Icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2012 11:08 pm

Welcome aboard!! I love your city, used to travel there for work and sometimes to Zootermeer (spelling) near Den Hague.

Your wagon looks very similar to one of mine, although my interior is grey.
What year is yours and if a 92 or 93 do you have the 5.0 or 5.7 liter engine?

Great shots and love the Caddy. My parents had a 1960,1968,1973, and 1980 Caddy while I was growing up.
Back to top Go down
JoeT

JoeT

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands   Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2012 12:16 am

Welcome aboard, Marcel!
Thanks for the great pics.
Looks like a very fun-loving family you have there - congratulations!
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands   Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2012 2:37 pm

Welcome, and loving seeing the pics. Really neat to see those cars over there. I love seeing kids in the wagons as well.

I really like the black Caprice at the beginning. I have a soft spot for the box-body Caprice's, and yours looks really familier. This was my '86 Caprice with 15x7 Rally wheels. Rode great, looked great, and was reliable as the sun.

Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands BoxChevyPics010

Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands BoxChevyPics002

I really hope you stick around the forum. Lots of good folks on here and it's also a great place to find parts, along with tips and tricks on these cars.

Glad you found the site!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Zorrodeporro

Zorrodeporro

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands   Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2012 5:19 pm

Thanks again everybody for the warm wellcome, I'm really glad that I found this nice forum. I hope to learn here from your experiences and share some of mine.
My wagon is a '91 5.0 liter engine. And it has no power windows and power locks, very plain Jane.
The boxy was a '89 also with a 5.0 liter engine and I had for 7 years and rode about 80000 miles with it and no major problems. Indeed they're reliable as the sun.

The Cadillac is a whole different story. It looked like this when I bought 5 years ago:

Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands Maxis1

Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands Scherm

It really looked like ****. I didn't really planned to do so, but it turned out to be a complete restoration. With new carpet and new benches, new paintjob, new convertible top, new doorpanels inside, new bumper at the back, new mufflersystem, new alternator, new brakes, new starter, etc, etc.

Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands Cdrcca006

Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands Cdrcca005

Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands Cdrcca003

Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands Cdrcca002

Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands Cdrcca007

Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands Aaaaaaab417

Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands Aaaaaaab415

Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands Aaaaaaab411

Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands Caddy79

Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands Caddy78

Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands Foto0728-1

But finally it looks great, I'm not sure what the total expenses were. (Maybe my wife also reads this forum lol)
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands   Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2012 6:48 pm

Yes, it sure does look great!
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands   Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2012 6:51 pm

Wow, nice transformation. What is that big tank in the trunk? Have you converted it to run on LPG?

My Red wagon (now given to my son) is a '92 with a 305 in it.
Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands 101_2023
When I bought it

Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands 101_2053
Original interior

Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands 100_1872
when it looked it's best....currently under the knife getting it ready for my son to daily drive.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands   Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2012 9:19 pm

Welcome!!! Beautiful wagon!!! ( and car collection too! )

Chris

Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands   Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hi from Amsterdam, Netherlands
Page 1 of 1