GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Need advice on winter tires

Go down 
+3
stockfornow
DBeaSSt
200OZ
7 posters
AuthorMessage
200OZ
200OZ

Need advice on winter tires Empty
PostSubject: Need advice on winter tires   Need advice on winter tires Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 12:56 pm

I've got to drive my '94 RMW through Roch. NY winter and need tires, snows preferably.
Looks like there is a limited selection of snow tires. I'm taking my OZs off and mounting the new snows on the factory aluminum wheels. I've looked at Michelin Latitude X Ice, Goodyear Ultra Grip, Firestone Winter Force, and Dunlop Grand Trek SJ4. Any suggestions? Anyone like any all seasons for the winter?
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Need advice on winter tires   Need advice on winter tires Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 1:11 pm

I've heard a lot of people say the Blizzak's are good. But I don't use snow tires myself so I can't give you any direct advice. Sorry!
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: Need advice on winter tires   Need advice on winter tires Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 1:38 pm

Yeah, I love them, I have them on my mini-van, but Blizzaks are not made in any of the sizes close to what the wagons use. I was told those sizes went away with the WS-50 model Blizzaks. I can get 235/55/18 Blizzaks and mount them to the OZs, what do you think of that!
Back to top Go down
stockfornow

stockfornow

PostSubject: Re: Need advice on winter tires   Need advice on winter tires Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 2:45 pm

I have personally used and recommend the Firestone Winterforce tires. They are better than the Blizzaks on snow (Blizzaks better than Winterforce on ice).

I started out with just two in the rear and 160 lbs. of tube sand. Great traction to get up and going but the wagon wouldn't turn at all. Last season I had Winterforce on all four corners and all I can say is.....TANK! It would go, stop and turn when asked in any condition. And all of this without posi!
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Need advice on winter tires   Need advice on winter tires Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 2:51 pm

Kevin is right - that is the biggest secret up here in upstate NY - good snowtires is all you need in about 95% of cases. My wagon is no fun to drive on snowtires because I can never kick the tail out on it!

Buying snow tires isn't rocket science. The more sipes the better, but you pay for them. Old school tractor-lookin' snows are good for diggin' but not so good for stickin'. Take a look at each snowtire's design, assess its accompanying price, and then buy where you're comfortable at.

Don't forget to check local salvage yards for snow tires. I got one set dirt cheap that way.
Back to top Go down
Chakotay

Chakotay

PostSubject: Re: Need advice on winter tires   Need advice on winter tires Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 4:45 pm

200OZ wrote:
I've got to drive my '94 RMW through Roch. NY winter and need tires, snows preferably.
Looks like there is a limited selection of snow tires. I'm taking my OZs off and mounting the new snows on the factory aluminum wheels. I've looked at Michelin Latitude X Ice, Goodyear Ultra Grip, Firestone Winter Force, and Dunlop Grand Trek SJ4. Any suggestions? Anyone like any all seasons for the winter?

As I live in a country where snow is abundant for 5-6 months a year and based on personal experience I would NOT use all season tires during winter driving. Get a set of good winter tires, The Finnish tire manufacturer Nokian makes a brand called Hakkapeliita that always get good reviews when tested.
Here's a link to their site: http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=11891&group=2.01&name=Nokian+Hakkapeliitta+5+SUV
They've got a tire that is 235/75/15 (it's in the SUV section) which should be great for a Wagon.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Need advice on winter tires   Need advice on winter tires Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 6:49 am

Winter tires are entirely different and are very thick so that it can easily move on snow...There are many winter tyres available in the market..rest the choise is upto you.....
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Need advice on winter tires   Need advice on winter tires Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 10:35 am

I put Hankook IPike winters on the RMW, and the thing is unstoppable (in a good way). Quiet on paved roads, directional design, big blocks for snow, great siping for ice, and you can stud them, too. Dirt cheap is also good. I used 235 75 15s.

Need advice on winter tires IMG_0616

I got brand new Goodyear winters with the blue wagon, and just mounted them up a couple of days ago, but haven't driven them yet to compare with the Hankooks.
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: Need advice on winter tires   Need advice on winter tires Icon_minitimeSun Dec 13, 2009 2:52 pm

Well, after ordering 2 different sets of 4 (Dunlap SJ6, Goodyear Ultra grip) and the being told "Not yet available", I ended up with the Firestone snow tires. I've had them on for 2 weeks so far. They're pretty good, but no Blizzaks. I also found a '92 Caprice sedan for the winter to put them on.Need advice on winter tires 121309012
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Need advice on winter tires   Need advice on winter tires Icon_minitimeSun Dec 13, 2009 4:12 pm

Quote :
I also found a '92 Caprice sedan for the winter to put them on.

Best winter tire swap you can do!
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Need advice on winter tires   Need advice on winter tires Icon_minitimeSun Dec 13, 2009 4:33 pm

Cool, nice find. Smile And Buick wheels too!
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: Need advice on winter tires   Need advice on winter tires Icon_minitimeSun Dec 13, 2009 6:19 pm

The wheels are from my RMW. I thought I had to drive that through the winter, but then I got the Caprice from a co-workers father in-law a few weeks ago for free! It smoked really bad when running from clogged oil returns in the cyl. heads, and the floor pans and trunk are very rotted. Unplugged the oil returns, replaced the valve cover gaskets, and used 18 cans of spray foam to fill in holes in the trunk and floors. Drives pretty good for a free car. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
waynes91

waynes91

PostSubject: Re: Need advice on winter tires   Need advice on winter tires Icon_minitimeSun Dec 13, 2009 6:27 pm

been using 4 winter force tires for years now ,they work great, in fact ill be needing to throw them on soon, also got 3 70# tube sand i but in the trunk just for that little bit extra
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: Need advice on winter tires   Need advice on winter tires Icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 2:51 pm

Ok, winter is just about done and having used Blizzaks, Goodyear Ultra Grips, and Firestone

Winter Force tires in the snow, I have to say the Blizzaks are the best of those 3 IMO, but the Blizzaks

are not made in 15" sizes anymore. The Firestones worked pretty good though, especially

sence they were literally half the price of Blizzaks. The Goodyears were about the same as

the Firestones performance wise, but not much cheaper than Blizzaks. Buy the Firestones,

good bang for the buck. Just thought I'd share my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need advice on winter tires   Need advice on winter tires Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need advice on winter tires
Page 1 of 1