GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

tailpipe question

Go down 
+2
Fred Kiehl
DROLDS2U
6 posters
AuthorMessage
DROLDS2U

DROLDS2U

tailpipe question Empty
PostSubject: tailpipe question   tailpipe question Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 10:12 am

i only have short tailpipes, turned out by back wheels, it has flowmasters on it, if i put 3" mandrel bent full tailpipes, will the roadie get quieter ?? i think its ok , but my SO likes it quieter
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

tailpipe question Empty
PostSubject: Re: tailpipe question   tailpipe question Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 10:53 am

If you add the pipes it will be quieter, because the noise will be directed toward the rear instead of out of the side. You could also put resonators back on, and it will give the flowmasters a more mellow tone.
Back to top Go down

tailpipe question Empty
PostSubject: Re: tailpipe question   tailpipe question Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 10:57 am

Might change how you percieve the exhaust sound but dont think it will actually be quieter!
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

tailpipe question Empty
PostSubject: Re: tailpipe question   tailpipe question Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 11:07 am

Perception is everything. Pipes exiting the rear will sound quieter in the cabin.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

tailpipe question Empty
PostSubject: Re: tailpipe question   tailpipe question Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 11:22 am

If you go to larger 3" pipes it may increase the sound. Fred is dead on with the rear exit, but do not increase the pipe size or you may be the same or louder.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

tailpipe question Empty
PostSubject: Re: tailpipe question   tailpipe question Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 11:29 am

run it around with open heads for a day and then put the existing one back on, and your SO will enjoy how 'quiet' the set up is, lol
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

tailpipe question Empty
PostSubject: Re: tailpipe question   tailpipe question Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 11:46 am

You have Magnaflows, not Flowmasters.

Add a crossover pipe. Mine is too quiet for me, sounds like a single exhaust.
Back to top Go down

tailpipe question Empty
PostSubject: Re: tailpipe question   tailpipe question Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 2:10 pm

My 95 has a set of the old thrush turbo's and they sound just right.Nice throaty burble that gets
deeper as you gas it.
Back to top Go down

tailpipe question Empty
PostSubject: Re: tailpipe question   tailpipe question Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 2:14 pm

Sprocket wrote:
run it around with open heads for a day and then put the existing one back on, and your SO will enjoy how 'quiet' the set up is, lol

I support this measure.
Back to top Go down
DROLDS2U

DROLDS2U

tailpipe question Empty
PostSubject: Re: tailpipe question   tailpipe question Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 5:20 pm

i was under it yesterday and sure looked like flowmasters to me
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

tailpipe question Empty
PostSubject: Re: tailpipe question   tailpipe question Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 5:26 pm

I have been wrong before......
Back to top Go down
DROLDS2U

DROLDS2U

tailpipe question Empty
PostSubject: Re: tailpipe question   tailpipe question Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 5:27 pm

you musta been tired
Back to top Go down
DROLDS2U

DROLDS2U

tailpipe question Empty
PostSubject: Re: tailpipe question   tailpipe question Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 10:23 pm

Krzdimond wrote:
You have Magnaflows, not Flowmasters.

Add a crossover pipe. Mine is too quiet for me, sounds like a single exhaust.

we were both wrong, was under it yesterday, surprise... THRUSH mufflers
Back to top Go down
uxwbill

uxwbill

tailpipe question Empty
PostSubject: Re: tailpipe question   tailpipe question Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2012 5:06 pm

Stingroo wrote:
I support this measure.
Be careful. I think you could set fire to the starter motor wiring. Not a problem if you have a manual transmission conversion I guess... Laughing

More seriously, you could end up with carbon monoxide poisoning that way. My wagon was giving me a pretty good does of exhaust when the flanges were not tight. At least I could smell it, and knew what was wrong.
Back to top Go down
http://greyghost.mooo.com/
Sponsored content

tailpipe question Empty
PostSubject: Re: tailpipe question   tailpipe question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

tailpipe question
Page 1 of 1