GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

rearview mirror

Go down 
+2
Sprocket
DROLDS2U
6 posters
AuthorMessage
DROLDS2U

DROLDS2U

rearview mirror Empty
PostSubject: rearview mirror   rearview mirror Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 9:56 pm

how do i get it off, without breaking it ???
Back to top Go down

rearview mirror Empty
PostSubject: Re: rearview mirror   rearview mirror Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 10:08 pm

Inside or outside?
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

rearview mirror Empty
PostSubject: Re: rearview mirror   rearview mirror Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 10:18 pm

Inside has an Allen screw, outsides two nuts behind the door panels. On a 94. 95/96 have a couple bolts too, but I don't have those years
Back to top Go down
DROLDS2U

DROLDS2U

rearview mirror Empty
PostSubject: Re: rearview mirror   rearview mirror Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 10:40 pm

im asking about the interior, 96rmw , doesnt use allen screw to hold it, it kinda clips on
Back to top Go down

rearview mirror Empty
PostSubject: Re: rearview mirror   rearview mirror Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 12:15 am

The allen screw is located in the bracket that attaches the mirror to the windshield.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

rearview mirror Empty
PostSubject: Re: rearview mirror   rearview mirror Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 1:31 am

The 95-96 mirrors are held in place by a spring clip accessed from the bottom of the puck area. The puck is tapered smaller at the windshield, so the sides grab it and hold it on. There are two locking tabs on the spring that must be depressed far enough to pass over the puck, to get it to slide off toward the top. It will be tightly held on even with the spring depressed. Do not pry it, or you are likely to pull the puck off of the glass, or even take some glass with it. I have never had to remove the mirror as such, so you will have to work on it. There may be a special tool required to remove the mirror

I uploaded a pic here: https://2img.net/h/i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg541/jfkiehl/mirrorbase.jpg
Back to top Go down
DROLDS2U

DROLDS2U

rearview mirror Empty
PostSubject: Re: rearview mirror   rearview mirror Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 8:30 am

if i cant get the little clip depressed to release the miror i guess ill go to a glass shop, not worth having any problems
Back to top Go down
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

rearview mirror Empty
PostSubject: Re: rearview mirror   rearview mirror Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 12:32 pm

The mirror on the 1994 RMW is designed to come off if the air bag inflates. Pull at a similar upward angle, and it pops off. Then it snaps right back on again. I'd be surprised if the 1996 is different.

ayilar likes this post

Back to top Go down
http://www.unseengallery.com

rearview mirror Empty
PostSubject: Re: rearview mirror   rearview mirror Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 1:45 pm

Didnt know there was a difference,my mistake.
Back to top Go down
jimbeau

rearview mirror Empty
PostSubject: Re: rearview mirror   rearview mirror Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 1:49 pm

Thanks for the pic, Fred. It looks like the short end of a small, 'right angle' allen wrench might be the ticket for a removal tool.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

rearview mirror Empty
PostSubject: Re: rearview mirror   rearview mirror Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 3:57 pm

You have to press against the glass to push the clip if you use an allen wrench. That will surely break the glass. A body panel tool with a paint stirring stick under the body panel tool should keep the windshield from being stressed. Just be careful you are working in a dangerous area. Glass is not designed to take pressure on a small point.
Back to top Go down
DROLDS2U

DROLDS2U

rearview mirror Empty
PostSubject: Re: rearview mirror   rearview mirror Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 7:39 pm

well i got it off and the new one on, i used neddle nose pliers, just one side, it came rite off, the glass was weird in one spot, after i took it off it got worse, is there liquid in them

Oscar73 likes this post

Back to top Go down
jimbeau

rearview mirror Empty
PostSubject: Re: rearview mirror   rearview mirror Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 7:53 pm

Fred's right about glass not liking pressure on a small point.
In an unrelated matter, do not use a door-tree removal tool to 'pop' your wipers loose from their spindles.
Back to top Go down
DROLDS2U

DROLDS2U

rearview mirror Empty
PostSubject: Re: rearview mirror   rearview mirror Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 7:56 pm

ok Jimbo..lol what did you do ??
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

rearview mirror Empty
PostSubject: Re: rearview mirror   rearview mirror Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 12:22 am

The look of a "liquid" between the layers of glass is delamination of the plastic layer between the glass. It probably won't hurt anything, but it looks wierd. The only fix is to have the glass replaced.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

rearview mirror Empty
PostSubject: Re: rearview mirror   rearview mirror Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 1:30 am

jimbeau wrote:
In an unrelated matter, do not use a door-tree removal tool to 'pop' your wipers loose from their spindles.

FYI, you are supposed to lift the wiper arm, and put a 1/8 inch drill bit in the hole on the wiper when removing them. It will lift off of the post with a couple of wiggles. No prying needed.

I would suggest not using the panel tool on the fasteners for the cowling for the same reason, unless you protect your glass.
Back to top Go down
Oscar73

rearview mirror Empty
PostSubject: Re: rearview mirror   rearview mirror Icon_minitimeSat Sep 16, 2023 1:36 pm

jimbeau wrote:

My mirror got knocked off the windshield, and I found this post, which helped me get that stupid metal clip retracted to get the mounting slug out. Required a tiny screwdriver under the slug and a large screwdriver to twist and slide the slug out of the plastic..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

rearview mirror Empty
PostSubject: Re: rearview mirror   rearview mirror Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

rearview mirror
Page 1 of 1