GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Spark Plug Replacement in LT-1

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mark 96 Roady

Spark Plug Replacement in LT-1 Empty
PostSubject: Spark Plug Replacement in LT-1   Spark Plug Replacement in LT-1 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 11:45 am

I haven't tried yet to get to the plugs, but it looks like no fun. I'm assuming that taking off the front wheels makes it easier? Other than a socket wrench with some swivel extensions, are there any special tricks or tools necessary? And, how about the same on the spark plug wires? Thanks guys.
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: Spark Plug Replacement in LT-1   Spark Plug Replacement in LT-1 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 1:37 pm

Hi Mark:

You're are correct in that its not a job one looks forward to. Remember that nerd with the coke bottle glasses we used to have so much fun beating up in public school? He is now a design engineer incharge of access to routine maintenace items on GM cars.

The job looks more daunting than it really is. The drivers side is pretty much straight forward except for the one at the back of the engine. Using conventional tools, the socket is not deep enough and the steering sector shaft is located in such a way as no combination of extensions seems to work.

The passenger side rear two are again pretty much straight forward but the front two are the hard ones. The first time I did it, I removed the alternator so I could at least see what I was doing. Even then, it was not a walk in the park. Now I just do it blind.

It is possible to do it from up top, but if you have access to a lift the above becomes a moot point. It is a straight forward job from under the car. I suppose if you weigh less than 300 lbs., are not hindered by 60 year old joints and fat arms, and have a clean area to work, you could do it with car up on jack stands.

Removing the passenger side tire and inner mud flap may be easier than from up top, at least for the center two plugs but have never tried it that way. As far as special tools, I can't remember if it was Snap-Off or Mac but one of them have an extra length sparkplug socket that is long enough to protrude out beyond the manifold. That allows you to use a swivel head, long handled gear wrench or combination wrench on the socket hex, negating the need for extensions, ratchets etc.

For the most part, we have all developed different ways of doing this job depending entirely on our physical attributes (or limitiations) and whats in our tool boxes. The first time will probably take a couple of hours, but subsequent times it gets easier.

Going to once again attack this job my self on the Caddy this fall. Gawd if only I had 6 foot skinny arms, articulated every 6 inches cheers

Bill
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spark Plug Replacement in LT-1   Spark Plug Replacement in LT-1 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 1:47 pm

I bought a longer length spark plug socket with the universal joint permanently attached and it
sure saves time hunting for the flex joint under the car.I believe I got it from sears for about
15 bucks!
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: Spark Plug Replacement in LT-1   Spark Plug Replacement in LT-1 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 2:26 pm

Bill and Jim, thank you both for the suggestions. Bill, your comment about the high school nerd made me laugh out loud. You are probably right in his job choice. I have a clean concrete garage floor, lots of light, a really good floor jack, several big ass jack stands, so I guess I have what I need, other than the longer socket you both spoke of. I've never seen one, especially with the swivel attached. That sounds like a huge time saver just by itself. I guess I will get brave some day soon and tackle the job. By the way, if anyone saw my other post about gas mileage, since other people here are getting better mileage than me, I thought about changing the plugs to see if it would help.
Back to top Go down
1phastsswagon

1phastsswagon

PostSubject: Re: Spark Plug Replacement in LT-1   Spark Plug Replacement in LT-1 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 12:05 am

Mark,
You can access them through the fender well, and some are easier accessing them from underneath the car.

Jim is 100% correct about the swivel socket makes it alot easier (socket can be found @ sears/craftsmen or local parts stores)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/carissmacom/home
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spark Plug Replacement in LT-1   Spark Plug Replacement in LT-1 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spark Plug Replacement in LT-1
Page 1 of 1