GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

I'm so happy

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
nstg8r

I'm so happy Empty
PostSubject: I'm so happy   I'm so happy Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 12:06 pm

So a few weeks ago the wagon started running worse than when I first bought it (always had a stutter when taking off from the light then woke up), it actually started running so bad I couldn't make it up a pretty small hill (was throwing multiple missfires detected and other codes)and had to park it. Of course this was the day before I left for a roadtrip to California. Don't worry, it didn't mess up my plans, I had already been planning on taking the Formula out there. Anyway it sat parked in a parking lot for 2 weeks, the whole time I was thinking "man I really don't want to have to do the optispark on this car". I got back home and tried to see if I could at least limp it back home. Wouldn't start, didn't even try to fire, just crank crank crank. I talk to my f-body buddies and they all say the same thing... check the fuel pressure. Sure enough after turning the key to run I have 0 fuel pressure. I run a wire to the jumper for the fuel pump and it gets up to 20 psi. Well I decide to replace the pump, much easier than an f-body. Anyway after I drop the tank twice (not sure why it wasn't working after the first install) it's now running like a champ. Oh and for those of you that haven't done this yet here's a few tips for you.

Get under the car and disconnect the fuel/evap lines before you pull drop the tank.

Use a wheel on top of a standard floor jack (upside down), it works way better than just cutting a piece of wood and fits perfectly into the cradle on a jack.

Before you try to put the tank back on the car, pump every last drop of fuel and then you can get it back up into the car and connect the filler neck and vent tube by yourself.

Oh and if your fuel pump still partially functions like mine, disconnect the supply line from the engine and pump the fuel out that way, trying to siphon out through the filler neck will just make you mad.

Make sure that the fuel pump actually pumps before you remount the tank.

Putting the front bolts in last on the straps are much easier than trying to do the rear ones.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

I'm so happy Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm so happy   I'm so happy Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 8:42 pm

... and while the tank is out for the first time, put a drain in it. When crap happens again, ( and it will) it's much easier to drain the tank by gravity, as the pump cannot be counted on to be working when you need to drain it.

Unfortunately, I've had to drop my tank about 6-7 times for one stupid problem or another. At least draining it was easy, as most times the reason it had to be dropped was that the pump was not functioning.+
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

I'm so happy Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm so happy   I'm so happy Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 9:38 pm

Lets see the drain in the tank...how did you get it to seal...did you use a special tank drain that resists gas?
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

I'm so happy Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm so happy   I'm so happy Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 10:04 pm

All good advice, you should cut and paste it to the fuel pump tank drop sticky
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

I'm so happy Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm so happy   I'm so happy Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 7:30 am

I used a transmission pan drain and a fuel proof glue. Both were readily found at Advance Auto. Typical gasket making glues, like those used to seal manifolds are ususaly not fuel proof and should not be used.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

I'm so happy Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm so happy   I'm so happy Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 7:46 am

So be specific about the glue.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

I'm so happy Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm so happy   I'm so happy Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 7:49 am

It's in the garage, and I'm still in my underwear. I'll have to send one of the sheep to look for it.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

I'm so happy Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm so happy   I'm so happy Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 7:59 am

And pics of the install too.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

I'm so happy Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm so happy   I'm so happy Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 8:07 am

It's called Seal-All.
Here's a link to a review of the product.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
nstg8r

I'm so happy Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm so happy   I'm so happy Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 12:02 pm

I'm just glad dropping the tank on my B-body is so much easier than on my F-body.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

I'm so happy Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm so happy   I'm so happy Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I'm so happy
Page 1 of 1