GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Delay Wiper issue

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
81X11

81X11

Delay Wiper issue Empty
PostSubject: Delay Wiper issue   Delay Wiper issue Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 9:50 am

Well it's actually raining in Texas today. Leander, just northwest of me, got 7-inches last night. Jeez!

This morning I loaded the kids in the Cruiser for school, flipped on the wipers, and had no delay function. Low and High speeds worked, but whenever I'd switch the stalk to Delay. the wipers would stop, and stop mid-sweep, wherever the wipers were when I turned the switch.

Left them on Low in the light rain, dropped my oldest at school and then had to walk the 3-year-old into Daycare. When I came out and re-started the car, the delay worked again. Haha! It's supposed to rain through tomorrow afternoon. Guess I'll have a chance to see if it was just a fluke issue or if there is really something wrong.

Old cars are always fun! ; )

-Mike
Back to top Go down
scoffman

scoffman

Delay Wiper issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Delay Wiper issue   Delay Wiper issue Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 1:43 pm

I think this is related to you're cruise control issue. I would say you have dirty contacts in that switch. Have you removed it yet and cleaned it?
Back to top Go down

Delay Wiper issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Delay Wiper issue   Delay Wiper issue Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 3:33 pm

81X11 wrote:
Well it's actually raining in Texas today. Leander, just northwest of me, got 7-inches last night. Jeez!

This morning I loaded the kids in the Cruiser for school, flipped on the wipers, and had no delay function. Low and High speeds worked, but whenever I'd switch the stalk to Delay. the wipers would stop, and stop mid-sweep, wherever the wipers were when I turned the switch.

Left them on Low in the light rain, dropped my oldest at school and then had to walk the 3-year-old into Daycare. When I came out and re-started the car, the delay worked again. Haha! It's supposed to rain through tomorrow afternoon. Guess I'll have a chance to see if it was just a fluke issue or if there is really something wrong.

Old cars are always fun! ; )

-Mike
These wagons never have "fluke issue"Mike.Like Shawn said its a dirty contact somewhere!And yes old cars are always fun!
Fun when you are rich and can afford to pay someone else to fix them!
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

Delay Wiper issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Delay Wiper issue   Delay Wiper issue Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 4:01 pm

Well the delay was dead again at lunch. We'll see.

And no, last weekend was spent fixing window motors and speakers. Have not looked at the wiring under the steering column....yet.

I'll sort it out. Was hoping these had a resistor box that was prone to failure like the delay on my '97 S-10. Bought a new module at Autozone that fixed the issue on it. Was a common problem on those trucks.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

Delay Wiper issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Delay Wiper issue   Delay Wiper issue Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 4:49 pm

It just hit me that the part that fixed the wipers on the S-10 was called a Pulse Control Module. It mounted to the wiper motor. Anyone know if our Longroofs have these? I bet that's the issue.

Just Googled and am not seeing it.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Delay Wiper issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Delay Wiper issue   Delay Wiper issue Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 9:28 pm

Yep, same unit. 3-4 torx screws, and swap. I have had this issue with the White Elephant, and that fixed it.
Back to top Go down
uxwbill

uxwbill

Delay Wiper issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Delay Wiper issue   Delay Wiper issue Icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 1:13 am

Fred Kiehl wrote:
Yep, same unit. 3-4 torx screws, and swap. I have had this issue with the White Elephant, and that fixed it.
If it's the same module, it probably suffers from the same thing the S-10 module does...bad solder joints. A few minutes with a soldering iron should put it right. Seems the GM fullsize trucks also have this problem.

I need to look at the one on my S10...every now and then it goes bonkers (technical term). Some of the interval settings become identical, or behavior is erratic.
Back to top Go down
http://greyghost.mooo.com/
81X11

81X11

Delay Wiper issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Delay Wiper issue   Delay Wiper issue Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 6:01 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:

Hey Fred (or anyone else in case Fred's busy), I took a wiper motor apart in the salvage yard today but didn't grab it, because I was not sure which part I needed.

There is a black plastic cover, the one with the torx screws, and I pulled it off, and it has a printed circuit and a "wheel" on it, comes off as an assembly. Is this what I need? Under that, still attached to the motor, is a 3-prong relay-looking thing that's attached to the motor with two bolts and some springs. I was not sure what to grab, so just left it all.

Looks totally different from the one on my S-10. When I go back at the end of the month, I want to grab the right part.

Thanks in advance!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

Delay Wiper issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Delay Wiper issue   Delay Wiper issue Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 12:45 pm

Pulled a delay module off a '96 Caprice and it fixed my '92 Cruiser's wipers! Very Happy

If anyone has this issue, these are a black plastic "box" that bolt to the front of the wiper motor with three torx screws. You have to work around the a/c accumulator to get to a few of them, but it's not hard.

Module just unplugs from the wires and comes off. Put the new one on and you're set!

-Mike

Delay Wiper issue IMG_20120930_203847

Delay Wiper issue IMG_20120930_203858
Back to top Go down
gmtech

gmtech

Delay Wiper issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Delay Wiper issue   Delay Wiper issue Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 11:27 pm

81X11 wrote:
It just hit me that the part that fixed the wipers on the S-10 was called a Pulse Control Module. I bet that's the issue.
-Mike

The problem on the S-10 was a faulty solder on the PCB due to vibration. Re-soldering or replacement was the fix on those. But, that is not to say that anyone of those electrical components on the PCB could be defective. Solder was cheaper and tried first.

And I see you fixed yours. Well done.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Delay Wiper issue Empty
PostSubject: Re: Delay Wiper issue   Delay Wiper issue Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Delay Wiper issue
Page 1 of 1