GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

October LOTM

Go down 
+5
uxwbill
Sprocket
Olds Weighty Eight
81X11
MarkH
9 posters
AuthorMessage
MarkH

MarkH

October LOTM Empty
PostSubject: October LOTM   October LOTM Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 9:39 am

Tom was looking for volunteers for LOTM, so I hope y'all don't mind I volunteered.

For as long as I can remember, I've loved cars. Like many of you, I was born into a "Big Car Family." My dad comes from the school of "...if a 2x4 is good a 4x8 is better." So that translated into his cars. We're kinda weird tho, we love Ford trucks but GM cars... it's a little backwards but that's just the way we are.

The first car I can remember was our '76 Buick Regal. Here's me in '83 with my dad and I working on the Regal. I have distinct memories of standing in the back, on the hump and holding onto the back of the front seat, while they were driving (????!!!!).
October LOTM 417481_10151016060797337_1946015444_n
Later that year my dad lost his job because of the recession and my sister was born so they "upgraded" to our first wagon. A '78 Ford LTD Wagon... This isn't the actual car, ours was that disgusting green color from the 70's.
October LOTM 1322605402_285189094_1-SE-VENDE-FORD-LTD-GUAYIN-1975-Villas-Del-Parque
After Old Betsy floor disintegrated and she blew the head gasket dad replaced it with a '76 Buick Lesabre, which was MINT green. (What was with the green?!)
October LOTM 77-79_Buick_LeSabre_sedan
Things got better for dad and the economy stabilized and my dad has always a van guy. So when we were old enough to put our own seat belts on, they went through a series of vans. First a Chevy then a bunch of Fords.
When I was 12, I started a lawn cutting business so I could buy my first car! It took me three years to save $1200 for my 1966 Chevy Impala with the factory 327.
October LOTM DSC01311_zpsa48cef50
We were going to do a simple restoration since all we had were hand tools and a 1 car garage. However, one day I went over a set of railroad tracks and heard an awful crunch. When I got it home I saw the frame under the driver's side door had snapped in two! You southern guys won't understand that... We found a rolling chassis for $750 and a case of beer. I had only the car for about two months before I had to stop driving it. The full off frame restoration commenced with pulling all the interior out, fenders off, and then proceeding to free the body from frame using hand tools, cutting oil, cinder blocks, 4x4 wood beams and our ONE 2-ton floor jack. In the mean time I still needed a set of wheels. So my daily driver was my 1980 Ford F100 Ranger with an inline 6 automatic trans. That was a great truck. The previous owner had painted it using a rattle can to cover up the fact the doors were different colors from the body. On occasion, if I was doing some spirited driving around a corner, the passenger side door would pop open, locked or not!
October LOTM DSC01329_zps48a2f94a
After a few years driving around the farm truck, I took out my first loan for $8,000 to buy a car. A 1996 Chevy Camaro - V6, Automatic, & retro T-tops
October LOTM 14111_403899512336_7354515_n
This car was later totaled by some idiot running a redlight while I turned in front of him. Even tho he ran the light, I was still considered at fault. I really think God had his hands in this tho. Because I was going down a path of drugs and alcohol and on this particular night, I was headed to a party.To cover the cost of court fees, lawyers, and to keep my butt out of jail for not being insured, I had to sell my beloved Impala. It was a painful lesson to learn and I've regretted my decisions during that time ever since.
My folks, once again bailed me out because I need wheels. So we found a 1984 Olds Delta 88 Broughm 2-door. MAN this thing was cool! It was grandma fresh and only had 70K miles on it (2005).
October LOTM KGrHqZHJC4E8y0NYZBP07StK5_4
October LOTM KGrHqRngE9jQuDlzRBP07qbug_4
However, I was driving over 70 miles round trip every day to work and the big land yacht wasn't cutting it on gas mileage. So I traded it in for a (don't hate me for this) a 2001 VW Beetle GLS Turbo. This was a cool little car until the engine blew up one day....
October LOTM 14111_403899507336_2536875_n
...that's all I have to say about that.
My dad was selling his 1995 Ford work truck so I bought it off of him to drive everyday... again... not an economical vehicle. During this time, my wife was pregnant with our first baby and the regular cab truck worked fine with the baby seat, until 1 1/2 years later we found out why she kept getting the flu. SURPRISE!! You need a bigger car! My cousin-in-law was selling a 1976 Chevy Nova Sedan and after the fiasco with the Bettle I wanted a car that I could work on. By no means was it an award winner... or even a decent car, but it ran and I could work on it.
October LOTM 296463_10150301034812337_360783132_n
However, not having AC or a decent heater I sold my Ford truck to buy my first GM Longroof (if that counts). A 2001 Chevy Venture LS
October LOTM 293359_10150301043812337_2027556817_n
Don't worry... we're getting to the Roadmaster now. The Nova had an issue with the carburetor and would stall if I didn't keep my foot on the gas pedal. So I found a local mechanic who said he'd rebuild the carb and get it running. Well... a 2 day job turned into a 2 month job. So I went there to raise hell and we got to talking for awhile and decided to work on a trade business. He'd do the carb on the Nova and fix the AC in on the Venture and I'd design some business cards and a new logo for him. If you ever get a chance to work out a trade deal with someone, DONT! Well, one day while the Nova was in his shop, he was pulling in another truck into the shop that didn't have brakes and he slammed into the front of my Nova, destroying the grill, the bumper, the hood, the radiator core support, headlight surround and driver's side fender. We estimated $1200 worth of damage in just parts (I only paid $800 for it). So instead of trying to fixing the turd he bought the Nova off me for $1200... now I needed a set of wheels. So I started shopping on Craigslist and came across this ad for a 1994 Buick Roadmaster Station Wagon for $1200 obo.... I went and looked at it and bought it on the spot.

October LOTM DSC00837
Minus the Impala... this is by far the coolest car I've owned. I love the sleeper aspect of the LT1, the cargo space and how comfortable it is to drive. Right now, my plans include, but are not limited to the following:
- Fixing the rear brakes. The brake line running to the back of the car rusted and leaks fluid so I technically don't have rear brakes
- Install new heater core. Last winter, I got as far as pulling the dash off and it never dropped below 30.... wasn't really that cold
- Stop oil leak (oil leaks out of the pass side valve cover, drips down the back of the engine, drops onto the exhaust pipe and then smokes like hell)
- Remove/Strip/Polish the trim
- Fix rust problem areas
- Tint Windows (current tint is the Walmart peal-n-stick junk)
- New Exhaust
- Air Bag Suspension

My one and only mod so far
October LOTM DSC01314_zpsbfcc284b
Towing my dad's Eddie Bauer Ford when it died a few months ago
October LOTM TowtheTruck002
The crinkled side of things. The PO tried taking out a house, I think.
October LOTM DSC00840
October LOTM DSC01348_zpse05bc740
October LOTM DSC01343_zps3f136a7c
October LOTM DSC01340_zps630447af
October LOTM DSC01336_zps9e70ba3a
October LOTM DSC01335_zpsc235a0bf
October LOTM DSC01327_zpsff1ba05b
No it's not a trick of the light... my garage is in-fact painted mint green. EVERY WALL in the house was painted a variation of green
October LOTM DSC01325_zps34c7d58f
We're still moving in... we've only been in our new house since January
October LOTM DSC01320_zps23783b37
October LOTM DSC01349_zpsb49301a0
Back to top Go down
http://DesignsbyMarkonline.net
81X11

81X11

October LOTM Empty
PostSubject: Re: October LOTM   October LOTM Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 9:55 am

Good story and a nice big garage to boot!

Love them green walls. My house is from the 70's too. Smile

Amazing that the frame on your Impala broke....yikes.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
MarkH

MarkH

October LOTM Empty
PostSubject: Re: October LOTM   October LOTM Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 11:30 am

Thanks Mike.... yes the garage is VERY nice and I can't wait to get it cleaned up and organized. It's as deep as the house, so it's deeper than the average 2-car garage, so the wagon fits in there with a ton of extra room. So much so I'm planning on putting an "entertainment" area in the corner... eventually.

Here's a pic (not very good) of my dad as we were lifting the car from the frame. You can see the trans cross brace and the two parts of the frame where it snapped (right by the white flash reflection). We found it was a design flaw where the rain water would run down the firewall and sit in the cup shaped body mount right at the fire wall, and then proceed to drip down into the frame.
October LOTM DSC01310_zps55427e56

October LOTM DSC01306_zps05c0c216
Back to top Go down
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

October LOTM Empty
PostSubject: Re: October LOTM   October LOTM Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 1:20 pm

Enjoyed the story and I dig your Roadmaster. I'd like to suggest one thing for the top of your to-do list:

- spray engine with Simple Green and hose off. Smile

It'll be a lot nicer to work on.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lakelandraceway.com/friends_garage
MarkH

MarkH

October LOTM Empty
PostSubject: Re: October LOTM   October LOTM Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 1:27 pm

Thanks Greg! I was hesitant to do that because every time the engine bay would get moist the car would stall. But since I fixed the ignition coil it runs fine in all weather. I might give the Simple Green a shot. Thanks again!!

Mark
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

October LOTM Empty
PostSubject: Re: October LOTM   October LOTM Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 2:03 pm

MarkH wrote:
Thanks Greg! I was hesitant to do that because every time the engine bay would get moist the car would stall. But since I fixed the ignition coil it runs fine in all weather. I might give the Simple Green a shot. Thanks again!!

Mark

My 2-cents, I'm not a fan of Simple Green under the hood because it can discolor painted parts. If I were you I'd get some good engine cleaner (I like Gunk Engine Brite) and bomb it under there. Just be careful when you hose it off to try not to soak the Optispark below the water pump. I soaked, and I mean SOAKED the engine in the '96 Roadmaster the first time I cleaned under the hood, and on start-up had a misfire and Check Engine light. I took it out on the highway and as soon as it dried it ran smooth and the light went out...but since that time I was always careful with water around the Opti.

That said, yes it's time to clean up under there.

Oh and I like the pics of your 66. Looks like QUITE a project there!

-Mike

Back to top Go down

October LOTM Empty
PostSubject: Re: October LOTM   October LOTM Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 2:33 pm

Great story Mark and nothing will straighten you out like having kids,at least thats what I have been told.Wagon is looking pretty good for just 1200 dollars and a great project for you and your little ones to start making great memories for all of you.
Jim
Back to top Go down
MarkH

MarkH

October LOTM Empty
PostSubject: Re: October LOTM   October LOTM Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 2:50 pm

I straightened out long before the kids came along. I don't think my wife would've married me otherwise! My kids LOVE being in the garage with me and I love having them out there too.
October LOTM 545960_10151049837197337_922110864_n_zpsa5be5123
We just did the brakes on the van this past weekend. Faye said to me, "Daddy, I want to get my hands dirty on the van too!" I had tears in my eyes as I hugged her.
Back to top Go down

October LOTM Empty
PostSubject: Re: October LOTM   October LOTM Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 2:55 pm

You should frame that picture Mark!
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

October LOTM Empty
PostSubject: Re: October LOTM   October LOTM Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 2:59 pm

Agreed, awesome.
Back to top Go down
MarkH

MarkH

October LOTM Empty
PostSubject: Re: October LOTM   October LOTM Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 5:07 pm

Flasheroo wrote:
You should frame that picture Mark!

Yeah, I know... I've already got these two printed and in frames too. My kids LOVE cars....

While my dad was revving the engine, Charlie was giggling with delight as the shifter shook in his hand. He didn't know what it was for, but he knew the shifter did SOMETHING!!
October LOTM 551654_10150860981692337_2113216415_n_zps1b874f5c

Every car guy dreams of having a cute blonde in overalls to help him out while working on the car. This was taken about 2 1/2 years ago
October LOTM 62977_449508032336_6007426_n_zpsb8ea0fe1
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

October LOTM Empty
PostSubject: Re: October LOTM   October LOTM Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 5:13 pm

Nice story and quite a run of different cars you have had. I agree, you got alot of car for 1200.
I got my 94 RMW for a 1000, and promptly spent about 950 in it getting it right....
Windshield, rear quarter, opti, fuel injecotrs, O2s, etc etc.... That said we've put about 80K on her in 5 years and she runs strong, but the paint and body are getting beat up (wife has hit 3 other cars with it, including my OCC).
Back to top Go down
uxwbill

uxwbill

October LOTM Empty
PostSubject: Re: October LOTM   October LOTM Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 8:47 pm

The whole story and your pictures are just plain awesome. Nothing says "future car guy" like your sitting on the edge of that Buick with wrench in hand! Not only was that cool, but it gave me a chuckle as well. I enjoyed it all! Smile

Your kids look and sound like they're going to be right at home working on cars too!

That is a pretty nice wagon and I'm sure it will only get better as time goes on. It certainly has the right color interior. Wink I take it that the "mod" is the Buick logo on the air intake hose?

Inquiring minds would like to know where you got that nifty "longroof.info" sticker for the rear window!
Back to top Go down
http://greyghost.mooo.com/

October LOTM Empty
PostSubject: Re: October LOTM   October LOTM Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 8:58 pm

Looks like GranPa takes his job of spoiling the grandkids seriously.My dad wants to spoil his great
grandkids rotten if given the chance.Typical problem of today is noone has time for my father
unless it looks like a gift from him to them is coming and then you cant get out of the way fast
enough!
Typical!
Back to top Go down
Dutch Pete

Dutch Pete

October LOTM Empty
PostSubject: Re: October LOTM   October LOTM Icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2012 2:50 pm

Great story and i love the big garage.
My oldest son became a car mechanic, after turning the wrenches when he was young
Pete
Back to top Go down
MarkH

MarkH

October LOTM Empty
PostSubject: Re: October LOTM   October LOTM Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 4:12 pm

Jim - Yep, my folks take being grandparents very seriously. They spoil them rotten and given the fact that we live less than a 1/4 mile down the road from them, they do it every chance they get! Sometimes I say, "Who are you people?! You're not MY parents!!! My parents would NEVER let us have cookies at 9 o'clock in the morning!!"

Pete - Thanks! I'm really enjoying have a big garage for the first time in my life. I have plans to actually extend it out towards the street more, making it deeper so I can put 4 cars in there!... or two wagons
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

October LOTM Empty
PostSubject: Re: October LOTM   October LOTM Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 5:13 pm

Thanks for sharing! Light blue on wood is still one of my favorite color combo's. Nice wagon and some great history!
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
silverfox103
silverfox103

October LOTM Empty
PostSubject: Re: October LOTM   October LOTM Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2012 10:11 am

Nice story Mark! Good to see the bond between your father and yourself. Looks your kids might be following in your footsteps. That is a nice size garage, I am envious. I am also partial to blue RMW's.

Thanks for the nice story.

Tom
Back to top Go down
JoeT

JoeT

October LOTM Empty
PostSubject: Re: October LOTM   October LOTM Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2012 9:36 pm

Great story!
Enjoy those little ones every day; they'll be leaving for college before you know it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

October LOTM Empty
PostSubject: Re: October LOTM   October LOTM Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

October LOTM
Page 1 of 1