GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

That's more like it!

Go down 
+3
Sprocket
JaySS
81X11
7 posters
AuthorMessage
81X11

81X11

That's more like it! Empty
PostSubject: That's more like it!   That's more like it! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 11:23 am

My local car club buddy with the green F-150 Lightning just got a new toy. Check it out! Anyone else remember the GMC Syclone??

It does look like a kids toy next to his Ford, it's so little. He says it'll suck the headlights out of the Ford in a drag race too. I have no doubt! Only pic he's posted but hope to see the Syclone at the cruise-in this weekend. NEAT!

That's more like it! LGMC[/quote]
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: That's more like it!   That's more like it! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 11:24 am

Hahaha, he just ordered his custom plates... VETKLR

Hahaha. I bet it will keep up with most Corvette's too! Very cool!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: That's more like it!   That's more like it! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 2:49 pm

With a little tweaking it will outrun these vettes in a straight line and with a competent driver,in
the curves as well.The AWD really helps it hook and corner too!
Back to top Go down
JaySS
Admin
JaySS

PostSubject: Re: That's more like it!   That's more like it! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 8:41 pm

81X11 wrote:

...It looks good in your S-10's dash!

- Mike
That wasn't an S-10. Cool

Perhaps this will help:

That's more like it! Picture013_zps76d22e70

- J
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: That's more like it!   That's more like it! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 9:07 pm

Back when they were new I test drove one at the local dealership. I was a truck guy at the time (4x4s mostly). I loved it, but lacked the $20K for a mini pickup (a fully loaded 4x4 SIlverado was about 15-16 at the time). Time went on, Road and Track or Car and Driver put one up against a Ferrari 348 (if memory serves) and it beat the horse in the quarter mile and beer hauling capacity category.

Five years or so later, I was working with a dude who had a new 96 Gran Sport Vette with a t56 in it (supposedly one of 3 factory ordered in triple black with no stripes) We were on the way to the strip club (he held ALL out corporate meetings there....I miss that job), and a Typhoon pulled up next to us at a light. Best he could do up to ~130mph was get a door on the truck....we ran out of room at that point.

of note, the AWD system in a Astro van is the same unit, all you need is a T-type engine, lol Wink
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: That's more like it!   That's more like it! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 9:09 pm

Looks like I haven't killed all my brain cells:

http://www.sportmachines.com/wiki/Car+and+Driver+Sept+1991
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: That's more like it!   That's more like it! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 11:14 pm

JaySS wrote:
81X11 wrote:

...It looks good in your S-10's dash!

- Mike
That wasn't an S-10. Cool

Perhaps this will help:

- J

It's either a Pontiac Sunbird Turbo (gauges), or a Camaro (steering wheel badge) or a Corvette (C4 shifter).

Razz
Back to top Go down
turbojimmy

PostSubject: Re: That's more like it!   That's more like it! Icon_minitimeSun Oct 21, 2012 8:08 pm

81X11 wrote:

It's either a Pontiac Sunbird Turbo (gauges), or a Camaro (steering wheel badge) or a Corvette (C4 shifter).

Razz

That's a Typhoon. Wrong steering wheel though.

Here's mine:

That's more like it! Ty_052001_12_zps88799e23

That's more like it! Ty_052001_14_zpsce07d646

Loved that truck. It was fun but got frustrating to live with once I started to try to modify it. The AWD took off hard enough to make you dizzy.

That's more like it! Island-ty-043000_zpsbc5003dd

Especially with ZR-1 rims and tires on it:

That's more like it! Zr1-06_zpsc1fc48d6

Like most things I used to own, I kind of wish I still had it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: That's more like it!   That's more like it! Icon_minitimeSun Oct 21, 2012 8:23 pm

I want one of those so badly....
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: That's more like it!   That's more like it! Icon_minitimeSun Oct 21, 2012 8:24 pm

Man, that ass shot with the 315's.... Wow. Daddy like! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: That's more like it!   That's more like it! Icon_minitimeSun Oct 21, 2012 9:46 pm

YOu can find them around the price of a GN. As I understand it, the Astro van AWD uses all the same parts....Imagine a GN motor in an Astro van with AWD...what a sleeper, lol.

Late to the party yet once again.....

http://www.syty.net/forums/showthread.php?t=79525
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: That's more like it!   That's more like it! Icon_minitimeSun Oct 21, 2012 10:41 pm

That's more like it! Gmcmonsoon

Oh my god, why didn't they do this in real life?!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: That's more like it!   That's more like it! Icon_minitimeSun Oct 21, 2012 10:50 pm

Sprocket wrote:
Looks like I haven't killed all my brain cells:

http://www.sportmachines.com/wiki/Car+and+Driver+Sept+1991

Not the important cells with any and all auto related memories!
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: That's more like it!   That's more like it! Icon_minitimeSun Oct 21, 2012 11:30 pm

Stingroo wrote:
That's more like it! Gmcmonsoon

Oh my god, why didn't they do this in real life?!

Ummmm.... because it's a MINI-van?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: That's more like it!   That's more like it! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2012 12:26 am

Irrelevant.

Back to top Go down
turbojimmy

PostSubject: Re: That's more like it!   That's more like it! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2012 6:14 am

I always liked that Astrovan. Someone at the local ski mountain has a mint AWD one that they use for getting around the place in the winter. It stands out in a sea of SUVs, and doesn't look as minivan-ish as a "real" minivan.

The real trouble with them was the 4.3L didn't really hold up as well under pressure as the 3.8L GNs. And then when you really wanted to go fast, you ditched the AWD in favor of RWD.

With a 1.7 second 60-foot time on stock tires, it would demolish anything from a stoplight. Right around 45 MPH, however, anything remotely quick would begin to reel you in. Mine ran a 13.6 in the 1/4 bone stock, which is nothing to sneeze at. Theoretically, the Syclones were a little quicker because they were lighter.

It was a real pain in the butt to work on because everything was jammed so tight in there. It had a little Mitsubishi turbo and a quirky wastegate system. It was liquid-to-air intercooled and the intercooler and storage tank sat atop the engine where it could never really cool anything.

Still, people with far more patience than me have gotten them running pretty quick and reliable. I had expected it to respond to mods like my GN did. It didn't, so I sold it. I think part of my frustration was trying to use it as my daily driver while tweaking it.

Anyway, they're very cool and unique trucks and super rare. People always knew there was something different about it and would always strike up conversations.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: That's more like it!   That's more like it! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2012 2:22 pm

Always wanted a Astro cargo with tubs and LS1 and a 6 speed.Never really considered the Astro
to be a minivan mainly because of its being RWD and its a much better looking design!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: That's more like it!   That's more like it! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2012 10:47 pm

Sorry,back to the Cyclone/Typhoon's!
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: That's more like it!   That's more like it! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2012 4:11 pm

I have owned 2 GMC Safari vans. The first was AWD and decked out, but it had the older motor in it (TBI). The newer one was a 99 in the silver. I had Impala SS wheels and SS badges around it. Got a lot of compliments on it. Always wanted to do a LT1 conversion.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: That's more like it!   That's more like it! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2012 8:39 pm

Always thought a Astro cargo set down on a S-10 4wd Blazer chassis would make a great all
around off road van to play with.Short overhangs would make for some decent approach angles and all around great toy truck!
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: That's more like it!   That's more like it! Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2012 7:27 am

It would be tough to do. The Astro is a uni-body.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: That's more like it!   That's more like it! Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2012 11:50 am

Always thought it was a body on frame like the full size vans?
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: That's more like it!   That's more like it! Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2012 4:51 pm

Nope, just a really heavy duty uni-body. Pretty stout, I think with a little re-enforcement you could run it off road!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: That's more like it!   That's more like it! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

That's more like it!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GM Longroof Forum :: The Longroof Lounge :: Pics and Video-
Jump to: