GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

mechanical / electric fan swap

Go down 
+4
buickwagon
lakeffect
Gastt
ElKy
8 posters
AuthorMessage
ElKy

mechanical / electric fan swap Empty
PostSubject: mechanical / electric fan swap   mechanical / electric fan swap Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2012 9:26 pm

I read the mechanical fan delete sticky and i didnt want to clutter it up with my question.
I have two 1995 Caprice wagons, one has a mechanical fan with aux electric fan, the other has the dual electric fans.
i plan on selling the car that has the dual electric fans, but i would love to swap the fan set ups between the two before i do so.

is it possible to do a straight swap between the cars?
my main concern is the wiring of the aux fan that goes with the mechanical fan.

Back to top Go down
Gastt

Gastt

PostSubject: Re: mechanical / electric fan swap   mechanical / electric fan swap Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2012 10:33 pm

Swap over the headlight harness, computer, electric fans and relays to the tow pack car.

Swap over the headlight harness, computer and mech. fan setup from the tow pack car, don't forget the longer water pump bolts.
Back to top Go down
ElKy

PostSubject: Re: mechanical / electric fan swap   mechanical / electric fan swap Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2014 11:21 pm

Digging up an old post....
I ended up selling the electric fan car before i could attempt the swap.
Today i found a caprice in the junkyard and i was able to grab the headlight harness, both fans, and the fuse block.

So my question is, do i really need the computer from the car with the electric fans or can i just put the harness in and wire the fuse block in my car to match the donor?
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: mechanical / electric fan swap   mechanical / electric fan swap Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 6:28 pm

You need to have something to tell the cooling fans WHEN to turn on and off independently from each other.

A way of getting around the issue would simply have both fans activate and turn off together, but having them work independently as they should would still be best.

I would consider swapping their positions, primary for secondary. You would figure that in it's lifetime, the primary unit has the most time running on it. By swapping, the one with the least running time would become the primary, and the one most used now would be relegated to secondary use. Might get better, longer life out of them both that way. A little oil on the bearings won't hurt either.

Dave.
Back to top Go down
buickwagon

buickwagon

PostSubject: Re: mechanical / electric fan swap   mechanical / electric fan swap Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 9:21 pm

They are two different motor sizes, are they not?
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: mechanical / electric fan swap   mechanical / electric fan swap Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 10:04 pm

you dont need the computer.i used a new harness from gary at innovative wiring his harness is great. had to run a wire to computer and some to the fuse box. the computer is programmed for the fans even if it did not come with 2 electric fans
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: mechanical / electric fan swap   mechanical / electric fan swap Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2014 8:18 am

buickwagon wrote:
They are two different motor sizes, are they not?

yes
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

PostSubject: Re: mechanical / electric fan swap   mechanical / electric fan swap Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2014 8:28 am

mtrhead79 wrote:
you dont need the computer.i used a new harness from gary at innovative wiring his harness is great. had to run a wire to computer and some to the fuse box. the computer is programmed for the fans even if it did not come with 2 electric fans

This. Gary's kit is worth the money, takes the guess work out of the mod.
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: mechanical / electric fan swap   mechanical / electric fan swap Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2014 5:25 pm

here is link to gary's site [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
Nick Danger

Nick Danger

PostSubject: Re: mechanical / electric fan swap   mechanical / electric fan swap Icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2014 10:13 am

Another vote for Gary's fan wiring kit.

Get Gary's headlight relay and wiring harness as well. And the battery cables. They're all great.
Back to top Go down
http://www.unseengallery.com
ElKy

PostSubject: Re: mechanical / electric fan swap   mechanical / electric fan swap Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 8:02 pm

Update...
I got the factory harness to work using the factory relay locations too.  I also needed the primary fan power wire from a junk yard car to make it work.
I ran the wire from pin 11 of the ECU through the headlight harness and into the fan plug on the inner fender, and out of that through the factory harness to the relay. looks completely factory.
I even gained cornering lights with the new harness.
the only issue i seem to be having is the low coolant light wont turn off.
gonna look into that soon.

I think my only concern now is the high temp at which the fans turn on when idling. While driving the car stays below the halfway mark, when i had the mechanical fan it would hover at halfway and a little above at all times.

I do think i might purchase Gary's battery cables soon.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: mechanical / electric fan swap   mechanical / electric fan swap Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 8:52 pm

Yup, you went from constantly cooling to "on demand" with the electgric fans You could get a chip programmed for lower temps, and keep all that new wiring intact. Or hook them up (rewire) to a temp type probe sensor, available at Advance, Autozone, Pep Boys etc.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: mechanical / electric fan swap   mechanical / electric fan swap Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

mechanical / electric fan swap
Page 1 of 1