GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel! Hello Leather Olds wheel!

Go down 
+13
Studebricker
Andebe
scoffman
benn
JoeT
toomanytoyz
Gastt
silverfox103
COL
Fred Kiehl
Krash Kadillak
1993 Roady-man
81X11
17 posters
AuthorMessage
81X11

81X11

Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! Empty
PostSubject: Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel! Hello Leather Olds wheel!   Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 10:28 am

Got a neat new toy off Ebay. Won't be here for a while, but hope it looks as good as it does in the pics.

Will be going from this:
Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! IMG_20121006_140256

To this:
Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! $(KGrHqR,!lIFCez3m7muBQ6kYlkDf!~~60_12
Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! $(KGrHqJ,!i!FCuqFeybcBQ6kYz4oIQ~~60_12
Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! $T2eC16FHJI!E9qSO8IcMBQ6kY)C+b!~~60_12

I had this same style wheel on my '89 Custom Cruiser, and have this one's twin on my '88 Cutlass.
Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! Cutlass012
Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! OldsSteeringWheel001

Really like these. The leather is thicker and softer than on the air bag wheel, and with the large red Olds emblem these look nice. I'm looking forward to seeing how it looks in the "new" OCC.

This wheel is coming from California. He says the blue leather is like new and it came off a low-mile car. Hope it really is. Can't wait to get the airbag wheel off and see this on my wagon. Very Happy

Toys!

-Mike

Last edited by 81X11 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel! Hello Leather Olds wheel!   Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 7:56 pm

I had a blue one not to long ago I gave it away.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel! Hello Leather Olds wheel!   Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 10:03 am

1993 Roady-man wrote:
I had a blue one not to long ago I gave it away.

Ouch! This one was more than I wanted to spend but cheaper than getting a salvage yard one and having it recovered. Just hope it's as nice as the seller says it is.

The one on my Cutlass is still very nice. I ALWAYS used a window shade and that car was always garaged. Most in the yards are burned up and rotten.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel! Hello Leather Olds wheel!   Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 11:15 am

So hopefully this will be a remove and replace with no adapters needed?Want to put my 3 spoke
blue leather roadmaster wheel on when the rain stops.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel! Hello Leather Olds wheel!   Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 11:25 am

Flasheroo wrote:
So hopefully this will be a remove and replace with no adapters needed?Want to put my 3 spoke

It should. The OCC has that same GM column that they've used since 1969. I already pulled the airbag light when I did the stereo install. I'm sure there is a wire for the airbag I'll have to either tuck inside the column or outright remove, but beyond that it should work. I know lots of folks have installed 80's-model non-bag 3-spoke Buick and Chevy T-type and Lumina wheels on their wagons. Should be the same setup on my Olds.

Will let everyone know when the wheel comes in.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak

PostSubject: Re: Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel! Hello Leather Olds wheel!   Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 12:48 pm

Just be really careful with the air bag removal, Mike. I wouldn't mind finding a sporty Pontiac wheel for my Safari, but it's going to be a problem finding one in dark brown. Finally found a lace-up cover for the stock wheel, but it's not fitting well - rim's too thick.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel! Hello Leather Olds wheel!   Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 1:06 pm

Krash Kadillak wrote:
Just be really careful with the air bag removal, Mike. I wouldn't mind finding a sporty Pontiac wheel for my Safari, but it's going to be a problem finding one in dark brown. Finally found a lace-up cover for the stock wheel, but it's not fitting well - rim's too thick.

Look for a Pontiac Fiero GT - Sunbird GT - Grand Am GT steerin wheel. Many of them were the dark brown inside. I put one of those on my '86 Grand Prix years back and loved it. They also used these on Firebirds through the late 90's.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/85-86-87-88-FIERO-GT-LEATHER-WRAPPED-STEERING-WHEEL-/300844778267?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item460bbf031b&vxp=mtr

Something like the above but in grey. You can use a Pontiac script horn button from an 80's Pontiac 6000 or base Firebird/Sunbird on this wheel. See the one on the right in the pic below:
Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! $(KGrHqRHJE0FDdKielblBQ8yTLuhDQ~~60_57

Here's a brown one but the selling price is psyco. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-Fiero-GT-Custom-Steering-Wheel-Shift-Knob-Set-NEW-Leather-/380544235936?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D4897115495856069123%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D2%26sd%3D300844778267%26

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel! Hello Leather Olds wheel!   Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 2:26 pm

Marshall.you can get a brown steering wheel cover from this company custom cut for your
specific wheel.They run about 50 bucks and are of a high grade leather.I have a tan one on my
04 crown vic and its great.They take a litte patience to install!
www.wheelskins.com
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel! Hello Leather Olds wheel!   Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2013 11:06 pm

81X11 wrote:
Flasheroo wrote:

It should. The OCC has that same GM column that they've used since 1969. I already pulled the airbag light when I did the stereo install. I'm sure there is a wire for the airbag I'll have to either tuck inside the column or outright remove, but beyond that it should work. I know lots of folks have installed 80's-model non-bag 3-spoke Buick and Chevy T-type and Lumina wheels on their wagons. Should be the same setup on my Olds.

Will let everyone know when the wheel comes in.

-Mike
It will fit, but you have to remove the clock spring. If you take the connector under the dash apart, you can remove the plastic wiring tray under the column, and pull the wire up through the column. To get the light to act like the airbag is still there, get a 2 ohm 10 watt resisitor to put across the connector under the dash. You can use 2, 4 ohm 10 watt resistors in parallel...they are available at Radio Shack. For LT1 cars the resistor will allow the passenger's side bag to work normally.
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

PostSubject: Re: Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel! Hello Leather Olds wheel!   Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2013 12:05 am

Flasheroo wrote:
Marshall.you can get a brown steering wheel cover from this company custom cut for your
specific wheel.They run about 50 bucks and are of a high grade leather.I have a tan one on my
04 crown vic and its great.They take a litte patience to install!
www.wheelskins.com
Jim,
I like those covers. I sent for a sample of Blue and Sea Blue.
Thanks
Dick
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel! Hello Leather Olds wheel!   Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 10:43 am

Just got an e-mail that my new wheel has been delivered. Can't wait to go see if it's on my doorstep at lunch.

I'm debating about swapping it at lunch, but read the airbag needs to "power down" for up to 30-mins after the battery is removed. We'll see. Can't wait to get that ugly bomb off my column!

Hope the new wheel is as nice as described. We'll see in a few hours!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

PostSubject: Re: Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel! Hello Leather Olds wheel!   Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 12:17 pm

picture.................
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel! Hello Leather Olds wheel!   Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 12:47 pm

COL wrote:
picture.................

Don't worry Dick, Mike will have 25 pictures here before you know it.

Tom

94Woody likes this post

Back to top Go down
Gastt

Gastt

PostSubject: Re: Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel! Hello Leather Olds wheel!   Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 12:53 pm

I never waited for an airbag to power down.... never had a problem.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel! Hello Leather Olds wheel!   Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 3:03 pm

Wheel was not on my front porch. I even took a long lunch hoping the truck would drive up. Hopefully it'll be there after work. Of course pics to follow.

After riding behind this wheel for years in my '89 OCC and my '88 Cutlass, I can't wait to put it on my '92. Will make it feel more Oldsmobile-ish! Ha!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

PostSubject: Re: Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel! Hello Leather Olds wheel!   Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 3:52 pm

silverfox103 wrote:
COL wrote:
picture.................

Don't worry Dick, Mike will have 25 pictures here before you know it.

Tom
I think you are right Tom. Maybe more.
Dick
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel! Hello Leather Olds wheel!   Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 4:33 pm

Yeah, I've always swapped wheels "hot"... But it's because I'm too lazy to reset my presets and EQ stuff on my radio. LOL! Smile
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel! Hello Leather Olds wheel!   Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 4:45 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:
Yeah, I've always swapped wheels "hot"... But it's because I'm too lazy to reset my presets and EQ stuff on my radio. LOL! Smile

20-year-old bombs scare me.... pale
Back to top Go down
Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak

PostSubject: Re: Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel! Hello Leather Olds wheel!   Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2013 7:30 pm

We had a company in Southern California that specialized in air bag replacement. Got to know one of their sales guys real well. He came out to my church men's group one Saturday and did a demonstration air bag deployment. Definitely NOT something I want to be in the way of - even in an accident.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel! Hello Leather Olds wheel!   Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 9:52 am

Before:
Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! IMG_20121006_140256

And After:
Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! 442Wheel037
Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! 442Wheel029
Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! 442Wheel006
Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! 442Wheel004

Best Mod Yet! Looks and FEELS so much better than that airbag wheel. For a 25-year-old wheel the leather on this one is in very nice shape. Only found one little scratch in it. Got out the saddle soap and cleaned it really well. Love it!

Love this old car too. Smile It feels more like and Oldsmobile now. Hahaha!
Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! 442Wheel048
Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! 442Wheel045

94Woody likes this post

Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel! Hello Leather Olds wheel!   Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 10:22 am

That looks awesome! Nice work! Very Happy

Accents the disco radio perfectly... Wink
Back to top Go down
JoeT

JoeT

PostSubject: Re: Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel! Hello Leather Olds wheel!   Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 10:26 am

Good choice; looks perfect in there!
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel! Hello Leather Olds wheel!   Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 10:31 am

toomanytoyz wrote:
That looks awesome! Nice work! Very Happy

Accents the disco radio perfectly... Wink

Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! 2012-07-08-disco-stu
Back to top Go down
benn

benn

PostSubject: Re: Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel! Hello Leather Olds wheel!   Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 10:35 am

gorgeous. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel! Hello Leather Olds wheel!   Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 10:40 am

For you OCC guys who want to try this mod, I removed the air bag light from the gauge cluster and just snipped the air bag wire that came out of the column. Taped it off and DONE.

The 2-spoke steering wheel and horn contact fit the column fine, but when fully tightened the outer ring of the new wheel rubbed the column just a bit, so I used my bench grinder and CAREFULLY sanded it down just a tiny bit. That did it!

Works fine and look totally factory stock.

If you're looking, this was the optional wheel for Olds cars with the FE3 handling package. Used in everything from Calis to Cieras, 98 Touring Sedan and Cutlass and 442. Optional from 1985-1990 on most Olds cars. This wheel also was offered from around 82-84 in a half-leather, half plastic style with asmaller horn button...as seen in Hurst/Olds...but I think those look goofy. Go for the full leather ones!

Oh and the leather on these us MUCH better quality than what was used in the 90's. The color does not wear off, and it's a thicker and softer leather, but like all leather if exposed to the sun for years it will go bad, and these are getting harder to find now.

My favorite mod yet on this car!

-Mike

Last edited by 81X11 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel! Hello Leather Olds wheel!   Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 10:45 am

You know I love the older GM wheels... Wink

Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! NewWheel
Back to top Go down
scoffman

scoffman

PostSubject: Re: Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel! Hello Leather Olds wheel!   Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 10:50 am

Looks real NICE Cool Mike.

Starting to think on this mod myself.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel! Hello Leather Olds wheel!   Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 10:51 am

Looks a lot cleaner. It gives you a less restricted view of your gauges.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel! Hello Leather Olds wheel!   Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 11:03 am

toomanytoyz wrote:

Always loved that 3-spoke wheel on yours. Wanted a LeSabre or Reatta wheel for my '96 Roady but never got to that mod before selling it to Rich.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel! Hello Leather Olds wheel!   Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 12:23 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
Looks a lot cleaner. It gives you a less restricted view of your gauges.

I can already feel the difference in how much air I feel from the a/c vents, especially the one to the right side of the wheel and left of the climate controls. It no longer has to blow around the air bag before it hits ME. Will be nice this summer! Wink

-Mike
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel! Hello Leather Olds wheel!   Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 4:08 pm

Looks great Mike,now I need to find a Olds emblem to replace the R on my fancy leather wheel!
Back to top Go down
Gastt

Gastt

PostSubject: Re: Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel! Hello Leather Olds wheel!   Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 4:48 pm

Looks good. I love Oldsmobiles.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel! Hello Leather Olds wheel!   Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 10:53 am

Got me on the hunt for one now! Question,does it feel much smaller?
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel! Hello Leather Olds wheel!   Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 06, 2013 11:00 am

Andebe wrote:
Got me on the hunt for one now! Question,does it feel much smaller?

It's not really smaller in diameter, but it sure fells less bulky, and I can sure feel my a/c vents a lot better.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Studebricker

Studebricker

PostSubject: Re: Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel! Hello Leather Olds wheel!   Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! Icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2013 1:23 pm

81X11 wrote:
toomanytoyz wrote:

Always loved that 3-spoke wheel on yours.   Wanted a LeSabre or Reatta wheel for my '96 Roady but never got to that mod before selling it to Rich.  
That is cool. Years ago my grandfather had an 80s Olds Toronado with an optional leather wheel similar to that. Would be cool to have a Buick version -- it was a very cool wheel for the times...
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel! Hello Leather Olds wheel!   Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! Icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2013 1:46 pm

It's funny, the guy I sold my Olds to put the air bag wheel back on. I wish he'd give me the 442 wheel back. : (
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel! Hello Leather Olds wheel!   Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! Icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2013 2:30 pm

Call him and see if he would sell it back to you,cant hurt to ask.
Back to top Go down
GSBULLDOG

GSBULLDOG

PostSubject: Re: Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel! Hello Leather Olds wheel!   Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! Icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2013 11:28 pm

I know I would ask him to sell it back to me , what could it hurt . I would really like one but the folks on ebay think they are made of gold .
Back to top Go down
bamalongroof

bamalongroof

PostSubject: Re: Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel! Hello Leather Olds wheel!   Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! Icon_minitimeSat Sep 14, 2013 4:31 pm

That wheel looks really good.
Back to top Go down
AzDon

AzDon

PostSubject: Re: Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel! Hello Leather Olds wheel!   Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! Icon_minitimeFri Nov 22, 2013 11:00 pm

Well I know this thread is kinda old now, but I just got a black, non-bag steering wheel out of a 93 Astro van (same as the wheel in my 94 GMC Dually) I'm a little afraid of the airbag removal thing..... Do I just disconnect the battery for half an hour and then unhook the described connector rendering the bomb dead? The FSM has all kinds of warnings about handling the thing, even disconnected (?) If I install the resistor before re-connecting the battery, will that prevent the warning light and trouble code?
BTW-- That blue leather wheel looks awesome! What year Cutlass is that from (?) and is it from a special model or trim package (?) My new wheel says Chevrolet on the horn button (like the engine lol) but I could swap with my dually for a gmc button...... maybe I should try to find a round olds medalion big enough to cover.... or a peace sign maybe!
Back to top Go down
http://v-driveboat.com
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel! Hello Leather Olds wheel!   Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! Icon_minitimeSat Nov 23, 2013 10:08 am

AzDon wrote:
Well I know this thread is kinda old now, but I just got a black, non-bag steering wheel out of a 93 Astro van (same as the wheel in my 94 GMC Dually) I'm a little afraid of the airbag removal thing..... Do I just disconnect the battery for half an hour and then unhook the described connector rendering the bomb dead? The FSM has all kinds of warnings about handling the thing, even disconnected (?) If I install the resistor before re-connecting the battery, will that prevent the warning light and trouble code?
BTW-- That blue leather wheel looks awesome! What year Cutlass is that from (?) and is it from a special model or trim package (?) My new wheel says Chevrolet on the horn button (like the engine lol) but I could swap with my dually for a gmc button...... maybe I should try to find a round olds medalion big enough to cover.... or a peace sign maybe!
I have removed numerous airbags and never had one go off. When you unplug it, there is a safety that crosses the wires, so it will not have current flow through the igniter. I have never disconnected anything before removing the airbag, including the battery.

If you install the 2 ohm resistor, you cannot connect the airbag, because it goes in the same socket. The 2 ohm resistor is there to trick the system into thinking it has an airbag installed. You have to remove the clockspring, so you would install the resistor in the yellow connector under the dash.

You should be able to find an Olds horn button and make it work. I thought of getting a 30s, late 40s, or early 50s horn button and adapting it to a newer, or aftermarket wheel.
Back to top Go down
AzDon

AzDon

PostSubject: Re: Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel! Hello Leather Olds wheel!   Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! Icon_minitimeSat Nov 23, 2013 1:12 pm

Thanks Fred!
I've only got the FSM for reference and it only tells you how to put everything stock..... I'll def stay out from in front of this thing while working on it...
Back to top Go down
http://v-driveboat.com
GSBULLDOG

GSBULLDOG

PostSubject: Re: Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel! Hello Leather Olds wheel!   Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! Icon_minitimeSat Nov 23, 2013 8:38 pm

Just do as they say and all should go well . I changed mine with no ill effects and I am happy with the results .
Back to top Go down
Norm

Norm

PostSubject: Re: Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel! Hello Leather Olds wheel!   Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2019 11:32 pm

This is a rad mod!! I need to get on eBay, looks great!
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel! Hello Leather Olds wheel!   Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! Icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2019 12:04 am

You can get some really nice aftermarket wheels for various amounts of money. Grant makes a universal mount for GMs that will work up to at least 96. You must remove the clockspring, and the two tangs on the inside of the trim that keep it in one place. I have used MOMO, Nardi, Grant, and Moto Lita wheels with great success. The trick is to keep the wheel the same distance from the multifunction stalk. I like either a 14 or 15 inch wheel. The original wheel is 15 inches in diameter. Any smaller than a 14 inch looks really odd. A 14 inch wheel gives you a little more space to get in and out. You can get a horn button from Grant, that can come with the center emblem of your choice. You may need to make a "washer" to fill the space between the OD of the button, and the ID of the non-grant wheels.

I managed to get an adapter stack to allow for a modified "cheapie" quick release. It is basically a good unit, but needed better supports internally. The removable wheel makes for an excellent anti theft system, although you get some weird stares when walking through the mall carrying a steering wheel.

You can also use the deep dish wheels with the Grant base, and it will work. Horn buttons with emblems on them are also available for those wheels.
Back to top Go down
Norm

Norm

PostSubject: Re: Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel! Hello Leather Olds wheel!   Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! Icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2019 12:09 am

I was looking at Grant wheels today. That’s how I found this thread, I was seeing what others have done regarding steering wheel swaps. A nice wood grain wheel is $200 plus the hub adapter. I do like the idea of a quick release, but seems a little ricer. I found one of these Cutlass wheels on eBay, but seller wants close to $400. I found a trashed one for $50. Maybe I’ll hit up a junkyard and see what’s around. I like the factory look of it.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel! Hello Leather Olds wheel!   Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! Icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2019 12:42 am

I have purchased nice used MOMO, and Nardi wheels on ebay, but you must be careful because some have damage. I also bought a Moto Lita that needed to be refinished, and that worked out well too. I learned a lot about fixing small cracks, and making them look "original". I have purchased wheels from $40-150 that were nice. Some had a little "patina", but the car is not new either.

The quick release I used does not look "ricer". It has a single push button, and rotates 1/4 turn to the right. It hides tight behind the wheel. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Car-Steering-Wheel-Quick-Release-Hub-Racing-Adapter-Snap-Off-Boss/382940536255?hash=item592908ddbf:g:dO4AAOSwa~BYYPOS 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Steering-Wheel-Quick-Release-Hub-Adapter-Removable-Snap-Off-Bo-YXR/143291750389?hash=item215cda97f5:i:143291750389

My wheels are black anodized, which are harder to find, and I used black mounts. The polished aluminum, and chrome parts are a lot easier to find, and usually a little less expensive.

You can also try the "Corvette" adapter, and a compatible wheel for it as well.
Back to top Go down
Norm

Norm

PostSubject: Re: Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel! Hello Leather Olds wheel!   Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! Icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2019 12:51 am

I like the black one too, looks good. I like that it works as an anti theft device, but I’d probably just put the steering wheel under the seat or something haha unless I was home.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel! Hello Leather Olds wheel!   Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! Icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2019 12:52 am

Maybe in the 3rd row foot well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel! Hello Leather Olds wheel!   Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel!   Hello Leather Olds wheel! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bye-Bye air bag steering wheel! Hello Leather Olds wheel!
Page 1 of 1