GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions?

Go down 
+6
benn
81X11
Fred Kiehl
COL
jayoldschool
Wagoninabox
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Wagoninabox

Wagoninabox

Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions? Empty
PostSubject: Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions?   Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 9:55 pm

Hi All:

So my wagon along with the few I have come across in wrecking yards tend to be fully loaded with options. I am looking at buying another wagon but it is a low end version. No twilight headlight, no cornering lights, no ALC, no door courtesy lights, 3rd seat delete and no power passenger seat. Might be more missing but that is what I spotted.

So, did GM put a standard wiring harness in our Roadys so I could just add these options and plug into harness at hopefully available connectors?

I love the wagon but after having a fully loaded one, I would always be bummed this one is so bare bones.

Insights here?
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions?   Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 10:30 pm

The only wiring that may be there is for the door courtesy lights. That's it. All the other stuff will need to be added.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions?   Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 11:28 pm

Think the wiring for the cornering lamps is there as well!
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions?   Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2013 11:35 pm

No, it's not. You need to add the harness in. There are a couple of how to posts on here with pics.
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

PostSubject: Re: Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions?   Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 9:30 am

jayoldschool wrote:
No, it's not. You need to add the harness in. There are a couple of how to posts on here with pics.
What is the link for that? I am getting a harness from Fred so I can light up my corner lights.
Dick
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions?   Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 9:51 am

The cross car harness may be necessary for the passenger's seat. You can check under the passenger seat for connectors. If you do not see any connectors, make sure you check under the carpet as well. If you do not have connectors, it is probably easier to splice in the passenger's seat connectors rather than change the entire cross car harness. The seat is controlled by two connectors, one for the rails, and one for the power recline (if you are changing seats and not just rails).

The corner lights are a plug and play with the correct harness. The harness for cars without the corner lights does not have wires, or the sockets.

Check the junk yards for 3rd row seats. They are relatively cheap, and not too difficult to install. How much of the cargo bay assembly do you have? Removing the latching/release assembly is the only difficult part, because the passenger side cable and fasteners for it are easy to damage.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions?   Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 10:19 am

Dick your Olds doesn't have cornering lights? That's really odd, thought that was standard on the Olds cars. I know your car has the basic climate control and did not have the door lights. Does it have any other odd option omissions? Is the passenger seat powered or manual? I saw one Roady wagon with a manual power seat.

Just curious!
Back to top Go down
benn

benn

PostSubject: Re: Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions?   Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 11:06 am

my '95 roadmaster is like that, 3rd row delete, no corner markers, manual passenger seat no twilight etc. someone along the lines added a 3rd row seat. Compnine says it has a "fleet" package. My guess is that its basically just a deletion of otherwise basic options. another oddity is that although mine doesn't have towpack it still has auxillary cooling setups. even with its electric fans. did all roadmasters come with trans coolers?

from what ive found there is no real preliminary wiring for a passenger power seat in mine.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions?   Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 11:21 am

I have seen an OCC with hand crank windows. It is owned by one of the forum members.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions?   Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 11:22 am

Fred Kiehl wrote:
I have seen an OCC with hand crank windows. It is owned by one of the forum members.

Wow, weird! Are the door panels different?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions?   Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 11:49 am

The door panels are not compatable with the electric windows. They are the same as the bare bones Caprice. I have only seen 2 of the hand crank window cars in the junk yards here, and the panels were gone.
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions?   Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 11:49 am

81X11 wrote:
Fred Kiehl wrote:

yes they have holes for the window cranks

Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions? 29429970010_large

Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions? 31980630005_large
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions?   Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 12:02 pm

The front panels for cranks are completely different. My 9C1 had cranks. The part that bulges out for the armrest goes flat much sooner on the crank ones.
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

PostSubject: Re: Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions?   Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 12:42 pm

81X11 wrote:
Dick your Olds doesn't have cornering lights? That's really odd, thought that was standard on the Olds cars. I know your car has the basic climate control and did not have the door lights. Does it have any other odd option omissions? Is the passenger seat powered or manual? I saw one Roady wagon with a manual power seat.

Just curious!
Mike,
I did not have the Vista shades but added them from a blue Roadmaster. I have the cassette only radio. I discovered the corner light delete when I replaced the lens with clear ones. Discovered a hole?? I found sockets at NAPA but had no where to plug into. No door courtesy lights. No Leather seats damn it!
But I do have the Posi with 3.23:1 towing pack. Basic heater and air. No compass on the mirror.
Dick
Back to top Go down
Olds Weighty Eight

Olds Weighty Eight

PostSubject: Re: Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions?   Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 12:48 pm

COL wrote:
No compass on the mirror.
Dick

And you haven't got lost yet? I don't know where I'd be without my mirror compass! Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.lakelandraceway.com/friends_garage
COL

COL

PostSubject: Re: Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions?   Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 1:00 pm

Olds Weighty Eight wrote:
COL wrote:
Dick

And you haven't got lost yet? I don't know where I'd be without my mirror compass! Razz

I live 100 yards from the Pacific Ocean. West is easy to identify. I get lost in Portland and other real cities. I will get a Garmin before long.
Dick
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions?   Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 3:29 pm

COL wrote:
Dick

Ha, my compass is GOOFY. When going north it says south. I know it can be re-calibrated, but I've not messed with it yet. Need to pull out the manual and READ how to do it.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions?   Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 3:29 pm

Oh and good deal on the vista shades. They make a huge difference in how well the a/c works, at least down here in the sunshine!
Back to top Go down
Gastt

Gastt

PostSubject: Re: Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions?   Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 3:54 pm

81X11 wrote:
COL wrote:
Dick

Ha, my compass is GOOFY. When going north it says south. I know it can be re-calibrated, but I've not messed with it yet. Need to pull out the manual and READ how to do it.

Well, when you want to go North just go South! Razz
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions?   Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 4:34 pm

buickestate wrote:
81X11 wrote:
Fred Kiehl wrote:

yes they have holes for the window cranks

Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions? 29429970010_large

Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions? 31980630005_large

The rear door panels are the same as the electric ones except the holes may be round in intead of square. The fronts do not have a provision for the electrical panels.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions?   Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 6:18 pm

That pic above is odd as its a TBI dash, but I thought that seat fabric was LT1 only....

My OCC now has the cornering lights (Chris did you add. Them?). The radio flyer did not, and don't recall if Grimace has them (Roo?)

There are some oddly optioned cars out there...
Back to top Go down
COL

COL

PostSubject: Re: Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions?   Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 6:48 pm

81X11 wrote:
Oh and good deal on the vista shades. They make a huge difference in how well the a/c works, at least down here in the sunshine!

I plan to travel in this bad boy later with Airstream in tow. I don't need the shades here much. Our high for last year was 74 on July 4th. It gets hot in Salem, 60 miles east however.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions?   Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 6:51 pm

I believe Grimace has cornering lights. Pretty sure....
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions?   Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 9:40 pm

Oh to add to this, the vista shades came out in 92, no 91s have them unless put there later.
I dunno if Chris or a PO of my car did it, but it has additional tint on the vista glass so it's not too big of an issue even down here.

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions?   Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 9:52 pm

Sprocket wrote:
That pic above is odd as its a TBI dash, but I thought that seat fabric was LT1 only....

My OCC now has the cornering lights (Chris did you add. Them?). The radio flyer did not, and don't recall if Grimace has them (Roo?)

There are some oddly optioned cars out there...

I would not call it "oddly optioned". There just were not many of the base cars. Most people like the luxury appointments, so most of the cars will have them. The only places you find the base cars are in institutional use, where cost is the determining factor.

The OCCs came with cloth seats, but those are not OCC seats, they are Caprice seats, and yes from the LTI cars.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions?   Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 12:32 pm

COL wrote:
81X11 wrote:

I plan to travel in this bad boy later with Airstream in tow. I don't need the shades here much. Our high for last year was 74 on July 4th. It gets hot in Salem, 60 miles east however.

High of 74?? Laughing

That was our high here....last Monday. cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions?   Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Factory wiring harness allow for easy option additions?
Page 1 of 1