GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

OBDII > OBDI conversion

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

OBDII > OBDI conversion Empty
PostSubject: OBDII > OBDI conversion   OBDII > OBDI conversion Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 8:01 am

I have this spare PCM and I want to put it in so I can "play" with the car. Problem is, I get all kinds of codes. I know I need to jump pin #21 with #22 and add in a 2K resistor for the O2's, but which O2's are these for? I have 4 of them. I want to put in the headers soon and don't know if the OBDI reads the pre or post cat O2's. Also, for the short term, what will happen if I just unplug the O2's? Will the PCM default to something, or will the car just run like crap?

Also, any experience on tuning software? Which one is better? I know I need to get an OBDI cable modified for the OBDII port. Opinions?
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: OBDII > OBDI conversion   OBDII > OBDI conversion Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 8:05 am

OBD2 added the rear (post cat) O2 sensors. So if you're doing an OBD1 conversion, those are the ones you will eliminate.

Unplugging the pre cat O2 sensors will make your car run like crap. The post ones, I think will just generate an annoying check engine light though. Easy way to find out. Wink

Can't help you on the tuning software, sorry.
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
brokecello
brokecello

PostSubject: Re: OBDII > OBDI conversion   OBDII > OBDI conversion Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 7:10 am

Robert, popping open the PCM case is really the hardest part. I did this conversion on my last WB4 and on Frank's WB4. If your PCM has been exposed to any salt/hard winters...it will be really white and no matter how long you let the bolts soak with Bolt Blaster...they will just snap. Mad

I will be doing this again on my current '96 too.

These are the instructions I use

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I have an AKM cable for the OBDI plug BUT I snagged a plug from a '95 Fleetwood (just pulled the pins out of it) and will do the same with my '96 and put my pins in the '95 plug. (That make sense?)

Chris
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OBDII > OBDI conversion   OBDII > OBDI conversion Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

OBDII > OBDI conversion
Page 1 of 1