GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Can anybody tell me..

Go down 
+2
BigBlackBeaSSt
vamp8267
6 posters
AuthorMessage
vamp8267

Can anybody tell me.. Empty
PostSubject: Can anybody tell me..   Can anybody tell me.. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 2:46 pm

Was the twilight sentinal put in all the caprice roadmaster and occ wagons? If not I've got a junkyard automatic headlight mod that is INSANELY easy. No need to buy the twilight sentinal switch setup or try to find one out of the local pick a part. If anybodys interested in it I'd be happy to type it up.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Can anybody tell me..   Can anybody tell me.. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 2:52 pm

No mine did not have it but, interested.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Can anybody tell me..   Can anybody tell me.. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 4:56 pm

Type it up. Thanks for the offer.
Back to top Go down
vamp8267

PostSubject: Re: Can anybody tell me..   Can anybody tell me.. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 5:03 pm

I don't know if I should lake. Kinda scared it might be enough to push your wife to the point of coming down here and breaking in her new gun permit. "I swear officer, he charged at me like he was going to attack me!" lolol
Back to top Go down
vamp8267

PostSubject: Re: Can anybody tell me..   Can anybody tell me.. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 5:16 pm

I'm just jerking your chain lake. I'll try to get it done this evening.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Can anybody tell me..   Can anybody tell me.. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 6:07 pm

How did you know my wife keeps me in chains?affraid

I'll bet it was those damn sheep that snitched on me again!
Back to top Go down
vamp8267

PostSubject: Re: Can anybody tell me..   Can anybody tell me.. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 11:23 pm

Okay guys, please don't kill me but the computer that I had the wiring schematics on apparently had a hand grenade thrown into the hard drive and my son, who uses that as his schoolwork computer neglected to tell me. So if I can find that wiring diagram SOMEWHERE either on one of my old hard drives or someplace I may have it posted on the good old innerweb I'll get right on posting it on here. Or I'm gonna try to get that hard drive to a computer shop and see if the data can be saved, (It's a 2 terrabyte drive that was damn near FULL!!!) I'll post it. So So So Sorry everyone. I will do whatever I can to make this right and get the how-to posted for you guys.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Can anybody tell me..   Can anybody tell me.. Icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 12:07 am

Just give us the cliff notes,.. or where you got the info,..
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Can anybody tell me..   Can anybody tell me.. Icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 7:14 am

Hey Nick... I'm thinking maybe the dog ate his homework a lot when he was little.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Can anybody tell me..   Can anybody tell me.. Icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 7:33 am

In addition to the dash switch there is a relay box that controls the automatic headlights, plus the dash sensor. There is a known issue on these where a solder joint fails, and then the headlights flicker or will go off with no notice. Happened on my '96 Roady, and I found the repair info on this forum, and fixed it myself. Worked fine once I re-soldered it.

The auto headlights, knock wood, work fine on my OCC, with the exception that the sensor is WAY TOO sensative....the headlights come on if it's cloudy outside or if I drive under a long bridge.

Interested to hear about this quick-install. Hope there is more to come.

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Can anybody tell me..   Can anybody tell me.. Icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 10:44 am

81X11 wrote:
In addition to the dash switch there is a relay box that controls the automatic headlights, plus the dash sensor.    There is a known issue on these where a solder joint fails, and then the headlights flicker or will go off with no notice.   Happened on my '96 Roady, and I found the repair info on this forum, and fixed it myself.   Worked fine once I re-soldered it.

The auto headlights, knock wood, work fine on my OCC, with the exception that the sensor is WAY TOO sensative....the headlights come on if it's cloudy outside or if I drive under a long bridge.  

Interested to hear about this quick-install.   Hope there is more to come.

You must have the same parts in your car a I have in mine. The headlights come on when I drive under a cloud, and sometimes a tree. I replace all the components, and it still does the same thing. I gave up on trying to fix it, and just live with it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can anybody tell me..   Can anybody tell me.. Icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 4:24 pm

My OCC is the same way,I have had my headlights come on when a tractor-trailer was passing me and blocked the sun for just a few seconds.
Back to top Go down
vamp8267

PostSubject: Re: Can anybody tell me..   Can anybody tell me.. Icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 12:09 am

Okay everybody, I've got good news and bad news. The bad news is the hard drive is shot the guy at the computer place said there's no way he'd be able to retrieve anything off it. Crying or Very sad  And the good news is this I can remember that this again is ripping stuff out of a mid 90's ford exploder from your friendly neighborhood pull-a-part. What you need to look for is the rear view mirrors that have the slider for the auto-headlight timer when the key is shut off. EVERYTHING needed for the auto lamps to work are contained in the rear view mirror housing. Including light sensors and the circuitry to kill the dimming of your mirror when you are backing up and dimming the mirror while you are driving at night. I remember there is I'm pretty sure a 5 wire harness that comes off the mirror one for constant 12+, one is a ground, one goes to the reverse light for the autodim, and one goes to your headlight relay. I just don't remember what wire goes where. But yah, basically look at the mid 90's explorer, mountaineer, and expedition. and you need the mirror that has the slider for the timer and the on off switch for the autolamps. Your on your own for the actual wiring though. I did this in an '88 honda civic and blew people's minds with it. Sorry again everybody. Oh and lake, my dog didn't eat my homework. He usually was the one that did it for me.... scratch"Mama said they was my magic shoes, she said they'd take me anywhere. Course mama used to beat me with a hose and call me a retard!"
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Can anybody tell me..   Can anybody tell me.. Icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 8:13 am

vamp8267 wrote:
Okay everybody, I've got good news and bad news. The bad news is the hard drive is shot the guy at the computer place said there's no way he'd be able to retrieve anything off it. Crying or Very sad  And the good news is this I can remember that this again is ripping stuff out of a mid 90's ford exploder from your friendly neighborhood pull-a-part. What you need to look for is the rear view mirrors that have the slider for the auto-headlight timer when the key is shut off. EVERYTHING needed for the auto lamps to work are contained in the rear view mirror housing. Including light sensors and the circuitry to kill the dimming of your mirror when you are backing up and dimming the mirror while you are driving at night. I remember there is I'm pretty sure a 5 wire harness that comes off the mirror one for constant 12+, one is a ground, one goes to the reverse light for the autodim, and one goes to your headlight relay. I just don't remember what wire goes where. But yah, basically look at the mid 90's explorer, mountaineer, and expedition. and you need the mirror that has the slider for the timer and the on off switch for the autolamps. Your on your own for the actual wiring though. I did this in an '88 honda civic and blew people's minds with it. Sorry again everybody. Oh and lake, my dog didn't eat my homework. He usually was the one that did it for me.... scratch"Mama said they was my magic shoes, she said they'd take me anywhere. Course mama used to beat me with a hose and call me a retard!"

If the information on your hard drive is valuable, there are places that will remove the discs and read them with a new mechanism. It is not cheap, but can be done.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can anybody tell me..   Can anybody tell me.. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Can anybody tell me..
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GM Longroof Forum :: Longroof Tech :: Electrical-
Jump to: