GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Airlift install

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
95BRMW

95BRMW

Airlift install Empty
PostSubject: Airlift install   Airlift install Icon_minitimeWed Jul 24, 2013 8:36 pm

Tonight I did my rear shocks and was going to install an Airlift 1000 kit on my 95 RMW.  I ran into a problem with the first step, putting the heat shields in.  My OTA pipes all but touch the springs and there's no room for the shields!  Ha anyone else running these bags had an exhaust heat related problem?  Any solutions for the no space?  I'm thinking header wrap might do it.

Right exhaust:
Airlift install IMG_20130724_190232_660_zps04ddf504

Left side (no clearance!)
Airlift install IMG_20130724_190250_546_zpsb14f1e7b
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

Airlift install Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airlift install   Airlift install Icon_minitimeWed Jul 24, 2013 10:37 pm

1. Loosen the muffler clamp.
2. Rotate the OTA exhaust pipe away from the spring. Try to position it evenly between the spring and the upper control arm.  
3. Retighten the muffler clamp.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

Airlift install Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airlift install   Airlift install Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 1:41 pm

Thanks Joel, I'll try it and see what happens, I think the left side pipe is a little bent, this should be interesting Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

Airlift install Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airlift install   Airlift install Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 2:35 pm

FWIW, on several B-car wagons the left OTA pipe seems to hang lower than the right OTA pipe as it heads outboard just behind the rear axle.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

Airlift install Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airlift install   Airlift install Icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 10:02 am

Step 1 - Get two big tie wraps
Step 2 - Compress bags flat and hold them like that with the tie wraps.
Step 3 - Insert into springs.
Step 4 - Cut Tie wraps.
Step 5 - Put spacer on the top of the bag and push hose onto bag.
Step 6 - Throw away heat shields as they will just fall off in 6 months or less.
Back to top Go down
95BRMW

95BRMW

Airlift install Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airlift install   Airlift install Icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 6:47 pm

I did get them installed right before the fest, decided to scrap the shields and just wrapped the pipes in header wrap. This exhaust is too screwed up to try and make clearance.
That's a good tip on the zip ties Tim, I didn't think of that. I didn't really have much trouble getting them in the springs, the biggest pain was getting that air line on (I put them up top). I found it much easier on the second one to put the hose on before hand.
Next up, mod the compressor and adapt to the factory lines.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

Airlift install Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airlift install   Airlift install Icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 6:52 pm

Sounds like a plan!! But your pipes are not going to last long. That wrap will rust them out quickly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Airlift install Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airlift install   Airlift install Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Airlift install
Page 1 of 1