GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Not new, but been gone for a while...Back in the Game!

Go down 
+5
silverfox103
buickestate
phantom 309
lornejay1
ChevyChugg
9 posters
AuthorMessage
ChevyChugg

Not new, but been gone for a while...Back in the Game! Empty
PostSubject: Not new, but been gone for a while...Back in the Game!   Not new, but been gone for a while...Back in the Game! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 9:12 pm

So, I seem to have developed a reputation for not keeping cars very long, and may have been on my way to earning the title of Resident Car Slut-Midwest Chapter. Although this reputation is deserved lately, My recent B-body experiences (a.k.a Losing lots of money on each deal) have led me to wait until I found the right car before "settling down."

I found this car on Craigslist on Thursday. Ironically, about 12 miles from here, just one town away. After emailing the seller about 15 times, with subjects like "I AM IN MONROE, I WANT TO BUY YOUR CAR RIGHT NOW!" I finally got a call back, and I picked her up today.

Now, I know what many of you are thinking, "He says he'll keep it now, but wait a couple weeks." I dispute this, and submit exhibit A:

An actual completed and signed title. Anyone who knows me, knows that I am loathe to pay to register and title a car that I am not going to keep, so as you can see, this is serious!
Not new, but been gone for a while...Back in the Game! Title

So, what is this creature you ask? What I have found is, well, what I started out with all those years ago. I never should have sold it, and I have now had the oppurtunity to rectify that mistake.

She is a 1991 Chevrolet Caprice Classic. Bright Silver Metallic, Grey Corduroy Deluxe Interior Package with warning lights, door pulls, and power everything. The car is very clean with no body rust that I can find, and minimal dents and/or scratches.

305 TBI V8 with a 700R4 Trans, paired nicely with 3.08 Gears and a working G80 Posi.

This car is a one owner, 75,000 mile garaged car owned by a man who recently passed away at 99 years old. I bought it from his son, who was in his 70's himself.

And the best part? All this for $1,200.

Not new, but been gone for a while...Back in the Game! NewImage
Not new, but been gone for a while...Back in the Game! NewImage3
Not new, but been gone for a while...Back in the Game! Odo
Not new, but been gone for a while...Back in the Game! NewImage2
Not new, but been gone for a while...Back in the Game! 91-1
Not new, but been gone for a while...Back in the Game! 91-2
Not new, but been gone for a while...Back in the Game! 91-3
Not new, but been gone for a while...Back in the Game! 91-4
Not new, but been gone for a while...Back in the Game! 91-7
Not new, but been gone for a while...Back in the Game! 91-5
Not new, but been gone for a while...Back in the Game! 91-6

I'd like to keep this close to stock, but any subtle mod suggestions are appreciated. I will be making backyard wide whites, as one of the tires seems to be about 3/4 of the way there already. Thinking of two-toning it with charcoal below the belt, as a darker color at the bottom makes it look longer and lower.

Thanks for looking, comments and suggestions greatly appreciated!
Back to top Go down
lornejay1

lornejay1

PostSubject: Re: Not new, but been gone for a while...Back in the Game!   Not new, but been gone for a while...Back in the Game! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 9:17 pm

I would look for 3 more wide whites Dave but I am fussy.

Curb feelers if you did it to the RF,remove them if the old man had some.

Seriously,I like it,leave it stock,detail it and turn heads everywhere. Lorne
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Not new, but been gone for a while...Back in the Game!   Not new, but been gone for a while...Back in the Game! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 9:21 pm

nice addition to the ..wagon forum?

nick
Back to top Go down
ChevyChugg

PostSubject: Re: Not new, but been gone for a while...Back in the Game!   Not new, but been gone for a while...Back in the Game! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 9:23 pm

Sorry Nick, next time I will post in the roof envy section.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Not new, but been gone for a while...Back in the Game!   Not new, but been gone for a while...Back in the Game! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 9:27 pm

See... this is why I hate Florida. These cars just plain cost more here, because of the donk "culture".

It sickens me. Niiiice find nonetheless.
Back to top Go down
buickestate
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: Not new, but been gone for a while...Back in the Game!   Not new, but been gone for a while...Back in the Game! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 9:41 pm

it's a very clean car Dave. get the grinder out and do the other three tires....
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Not new, but been gone for a while...Back in the Game!   Not new, but been gone for a while...Back in the Game! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 9:56 pm

Dave

Throw away the "For Sale" signs, keep it for a while. Looks like a good one.

Tom C.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Not new, but been gone for a while...Back in the Game!   Not new, but been gone for a while...Back in the Game! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 10:45 pm

Dave, those wheels look like they're in great shape. Either that or they just photographed well. Take good care of them - keep them clean, etc. Because the honeycomb wheels go downhill fast when the clearcoat peels.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Not new, but been gone for a while...Back in the Game!   Not new, but been gone for a while...Back in the Game! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 9:06 am

Nice looking sedan, congrats. If it needs anything let me know cause there are a couple of them in the yards here with plenty of great parts.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Not new, but been gone for a while...Back in the Game!   Not new, but been gone for a while...Back in the Game! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 1:00 pm

Sweet looking ride there Dave. I had assumed you bought a wagon, but at least the rear wheel wells are wagony, Very Happy

Anyone here would be hard pressed not to pick that car up. One in similar condition round these parts would be 2.5-3K easy (as mentioned by stingroo)
Back to top Go down
DBeaSSt
Admin
DBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Not new, but been gone for a while...Back in the Game!   Not new, but been gone for a while...Back in the Game! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 1:23 pm

Nice find!
Back to top Go down
http://www.prosise.name
ChevyChugg

PostSubject: Re: Not new, but been gone for a while...Back in the Game!   Not new, but been gone for a while...Back in the Game! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 9:16 pm

Thanks guys, I am really very excited. They are that expensive here too, this guy just fell victim to checking the KBB value and doing no other research. In fact, around here, it's not a question of how much a 91-92 costs, but whether you can find one at all—at any price.

Question though, does anyone know if the pod mirrors can be disassembled? as in remove the black "collars" that surround the glass itself? They are both broken, but the pods are intact, and I have another set of mirrors, but I'd love to avoid painting them. Thanks!

Last edited by ChevyChugg on Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Not new, but been gone for a while...Back in the Game!   Not new, but been gone for a while...Back in the Game! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 9:18 pm

Oh, see... they're all over around here. But you won't find one for less than 3500-4k on a good day.
Back to top Go down
ChevyChugg

PostSubject: Re: Not new, but been gone for a while...Back in the Game!   Not new, but been gone for a while...Back in the Game! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 9:21 pm

Stingroo wrote:
Oh, see... they're all over around here. But you won't find one for less than 3500-4k on a good day.

probably white 9C1's with blue interiors and 297,000 miles on them too, right?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Not new, but been gone for a while...Back in the Game!   Not new, but been gone for a while...Back in the Game! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 9:23 pm

Pretty much, 200k+ yeah. I gave up trying to find one in Jacksonville... I got lucky with the wagon I found. Smile
Back to top Go down
ChevyChugg

PostSubject: Re: Not new, but been gone for a while...Back in the Game!   Not new, but been gone for a while...Back in the Game! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 9:25 pm

I got VERY lucky
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Not new, but been gone for a while...Back in the Game!   Not new, but been gone for a while...Back in the Game! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 10:08 pm

You got very lucky indeed.

There are a few for sale around here but of course they are either on 24s and have hideous custom interiors or are beaten to death.
Back to top Go down
ChevyChugg

PostSubject: Re: Not new, but been gone for a while...Back in the Game!   Not new, but been gone for a while...Back in the Game! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 7:51 pm

I had a great thing happen yesterday. I picked up my 15 year old daughter, Hannah from School in the Caprice (she had not seen it yet,) and she came outside and just stared at it. I got out of the car so she would know it was me. The following conversation ensued:

Hannah: (Looking amazed) "What is it??"
Me: "It's a car."
Hannah: "What kind of car?"
Me: "A Chevy Caprice Classic."
Hannah: "It's so beautiful!"
Me: "Thanks, are you coming or are you just going to stand there?"
Hannah: (Still Looking amazed) "Where did it come from? Why is it here?"
Me: "It came from Willow Run, Michigan, it is here because I bought it"
Hannah: "You bought it? This is our car? Can I drive it? Can I HAVE it?"

At first I thought she was messing with me, but apparently she loves that it's so big, the long flowing curves, and that the back wheels are "half covered." She drove it home, and it was amazing, she struggles to drive our Trailblazer, but she got in and piloted the caprice like a pro, completely at ease and comfortable.

I must have done something right. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: Not new, but been gone for a while...Back in the Game!   Not new, but been gone for a while...Back in the Game! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 10:26 pm

Very cool.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Not new, but been gone for a while...Back in the Game!   Not new, but been gone for a while...Back in the Game! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Not new, but been gone for a while...Back in the Game!
Page 1 of 1