GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Cranking Deez Nuts (A Torque Question)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Bull

Bull

Cranking Deez Nuts (A Torque Question) Empty
PostSubject: Cranking Deez Nuts (A Torque Question)   Cranking Deez Nuts (A Torque Question) Icon_minitimeSun Oct 20, 2013 10:23 pm

The Gabriel shocks I am installing on the rear of my Roadmaster have a different type of bolt securing them than stock. The Gabriels have a double-threaded bolt, with a 3/4 nut on one side and an 11/16 nut on the other.

The stock shocks had a specialized "bolt" with a nut on one side and just a flat steel on the other.

The FSM tells me to torque the lower shock nut to 63 lbs; this would be the 3/4 nut on the new shocks, visible on the left of the first two pics below. I did that.

But then I started applying the same torque to the 11/16 nut on the other side and I just had that "uh-oh" feeling and stopped. Some of you might remember I aggressively torqued a small bolt in my balancer assembly and stretched it. I want to avoid any more torque mistakes.

What should this 11/16 bolt (on the right in the first two pics below) be torqued to? It is pressing against a lock washer and then a flat washer, and while torquing it is compressing the rubber bushing in the bottom of the shock. I'm not sure how far I'd go before the torque wrench actually clicked.

The paperwork with the new shocks says bupkus about torque.

Cranking Deez Nuts (A Torque Question) 100_8825_zps4d77ad85

Cranking Deez Nuts (A Torque Question) 100_8826_zps2d44f7a2

Here is the factory bolt on the other side of the car.
Cranking Deez Nuts (A Torque Question) 100_8828_zpsc19e28fa
Back to top Go down
Krzdimond
Admin
Krzdimond

PostSubject: Re: Cranking Deez Nuts (A Torque Question)   Cranking Deez Nuts (A Torque Question) Icon_minitimeSun Oct 20, 2013 10:36 pm

On my Monroe SS shocks, I just tightened with an impact. On and off with the impact about 6 times with no issues.
Back to top Go down
Bull

Bull

PostSubject: Re: Cranking Deez Nuts (A Torque Question)   Cranking Deez Nuts (A Torque Question) Icon_minitimeSun Oct 20, 2013 10:49 pm

I try to make up for being functionally retarded when it comes to physics, geometry, and mechanical skill by following to the letter any service manual procedures or advice from experienced folks.

I initially assumed that if I held the 11/16 nut with a wrench while torquing the 3/4 nut to spec, then both nuts would end up torqued to the same measurement. But after torquing the larger nut I put the torque wrench on the smaller one, assuming it would make the wrench "click" at the same setting. But, it just kept on cranking down, which is what brought me here.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Cranking Deez Nuts (A Torque Question)   Cranking Deez Nuts (A Torque Question) Icon_minitimeMon Oct 21, 2013 12:31 am

I believe there is a metal center bushing in the lower shock end. The nut should crank down until it clamps the inner bushing of the shock, then it will start to give a torque reading. If it is 11/16 it should be about 10% less than a 3/4 inch (you said it is 1/16 inch smaller).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cranking Deez Nuts (A Torque Question)   Cranking Deez Nuts (A Torque Question) Icon_minitimeMon Oct 21, 2013 9:18 pm

When no torque values are given I always tighten until the rubber bushing is compressed until its the same diameter as the large washer that came with the kit.ALL DONE!
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Cranking Deez Nuts (A Torque Question)   Cranking Deez Nuts (A Torque Question) Icon_minitimeTue Oct 22, 2013 2:04 am

You do not show the "shock" end of the two ended bolt. Usually the shock end has a shoulder to stop the nut from crushing the rubber too much.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cranking Deez Nuts (A Torque Question)   Cranking Deez Nuts (A Torque Question) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cranking Deez Nuts (A Torque Question)
Page 1 of 1