GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

November Wagon of the Month---My story, the prequel.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
silverfox103
silverfox103

November Wagon of the Month---My story, the prequel. Empty
PostSubject: November Wagon of the Month---My story, the prequel.   November Wagon of the Month---My story, the prequel. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 03, 2013 12:17 am

Once in a while, for whatever reason, it is hard to get someone to be the Wagon of the Month.  This month, I fumbled the ball also.  Anyways, I know how quite a few guys look for this every month.  I had to come up with something.

When I was the Wagon of the Month https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t383-june-wagon-of-the-month-part-1-part-2, back about 4 years ago; I was missing some pictures that I needed to tell my story.  Since then I have found them; here goes.  

My history with wagons goes back to @1967, they weren't cool back then, but cheap and affordable for a teen.  Me a teen? (boy, that's a long time ago).  

Sometime in the early 90's, I was reading the local Nickel Shopper.  I was reading the classified, like I always do.  I spotted for sale a 1957 Chevrolet Nomad, 350, 4 speed.  $1800.  I said that can't be right, it must be $18,000.  It had a local number.  I looked up the number in one of those reverse books.  Turns out it's a mile and a half from me.  A mile and a half from me, $1800, and I have never seen it?  This can't be right.  What the heck, I called the number.  Sure enough, that's what it was.  I figured this would be a perfect project for my son and myself.  He was about 11 or 12.

Went over to look at it.  Looked decent, ran, 4 speed.  Exterior was OK, floors and interior needed work, but $1800.  That's not much.  Sold!  I may have driven it home, but I think I had it flatbedded home as I didn't want any problems.  Thank you AAA.

Well we got it home and gave it a basic cleaning just to get the crap out of it. I think that was the first and only time my son worked on it. He had other interests, cars were not among them.  He was a competitive bike rider and played hockey, those were "his things"  Today he is a lawyer in Atlanta, but he is mechanically inclined when necessary.

But that wasn’t going to stop me. I took that car completely apart; frame off and engine out. I carefully boxed and bagged everything. I next cleaned the frame and painted it---and that’s how it stayed for about 5 years. I either had the money and not the time or the time and not the money. I guess that’s how life goes.  I then realized, I wasn't going to live long enough to finish the Nomad.

November 1997 it was time to replace our full size Dodge passenger van; which our 3 kids grew to hate. One Sunday, I hit the GM garage to see what they had. Well, there was a light Metallic Blue, big station wagon. I kind of liked it. Not quite sure what it was, but I knew it was a big GM. A 1995 buick Roadmaster wagon, hmm; It had a lot of features I liked: V8, vista glass and pleanty of room for stuff. I’ve always been a Buick guy, I have owned a 72 Electra, 77 Park Ave, 78 Electra and an 84 Park Ave. I realized I didn’t need the Nomad, this was the answer. This was everything I wanted the Nomad to be.  It was already, no work necessary.  Sold the Nomad, made a grand, and happy as hell that I got rid of it. It just wasn’t going to get done as long as I owned it

The next day I bought it for $16,500.  This is how I got to be a "B" body wagon guy.

Julie, my youngest daughter, who is now almost 24, and an engineer in Atlanta.
November Wagon of the Month---My story, the prequel. Nomad2_zpsd702aba7

Who's the guy with the dark hair?
November Wagon of the Month---My story, the prequel. Nomad1_zpse37335f0

Tom, now age, ah............39.
November Wagon of the Month---My story, the prequel. Nomad3_zps847691d4

November Wagon of the Month---My story, the prequel. Nomad4_zpsff2b8470

Son Jason, now 30 years old.
November Wagon of the Month---My story, the prequel. Nomad5_zpsfb179f32

November Wagon of the Month---My story, the prequel. Nomad6_zpsa841fc4f

20 years later, who's that old (beep) in the picture?
November Wagon of the Month---My story, the prequel. DSC_0327_3_zps6f0ce1f4

Last edited by silverfox103 on Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: November Wagon of the Month---My story, the prequel.   November Wagon of the Month---My story, the prequel. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 03, 2013 9:14 am

Nice pics Tom. I'm sure those of us who have had a true iconic classic run through our fingers at one time or another, occasionally kick ourselves for letting them slip away. Especially when they start hitting six figures on the auction block, lol. But at the time we make the choices to do what's right for ourselves and our families. Sure you could have probably dropped that 16.5 into the Nomad and had a really decent cruiser, but you wouldn't be able to take long trips in it comfortably.

I know I wish I still had my 73 Grandville vert and 70 K-5 Blazer, but at the time letting them go was the right thing to do...

Happy Motoring.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: November Wagon of the Month---My story, the prequel.   November Wagon of the Month---My story, the prequel. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 03, 2013 9:53 am

You're right Jon, cars come and go. Besides the Nomad, I got rid of my beloved 78 GMC Sierra Grande, 3/4 ton, 454, tow pack from out West. But from 1999 to 2012, I had a least one of my kids in college, sometimes two at a time. There wasn't many $$$ left for play things. They could be replaced and they were.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: November Wagon of the Month---My story, the prequel.   November Wagon of the Month---My story, the prequel. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 03, 2013 2:55 pm

Great story Tom and a beautiful family too.You may miss the Nomad but you did the right thing at that particular moment.
Back to top Go down
lornejay1

lornejay1

PostSubject: Re: November Wagon of the Month---My story, the prequel.   November Wagon of the Month---My story, the prequel. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 10, 2013 9:28 pm

Great story Tom,love the pictures.

You have definitely not dropped the ball on LROM,if not for you it would have never happened.I always read them.

Never noticed,did you have a round up this fall?
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: November Wagon of the Month---My story, the prequel.   November Wagon of the Month---My story, the prequel. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 10, 2013 10:58 pm

Thanks Lorne

Yeah we had a Roundup, I should have posted on the Wagon site. Have to get you and Marge down again. This year was the best ever. Nick needs to come again also.

http://badass-of-ne.forumotion.com/t5675-roundup-pics-here-please-the-prez-sez

Not sure if you'll be able to see this or not, may have to join site.

Tom
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: November Wagon of the Month---My story, the prequel.   November Wagon of the Month---My story, the prequel. Icon_minitimeMon Nov 11, 2013 10:05 am

Wow, how did I miss this thread? Great pics, Tom. Be proud.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: November Wagon of the Month---My story, the prequel.   November Wagon of the Month---My story, the prequel. Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 7:08 pm

Great story and love the pics! Glad you posted this.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: November Wagon of the Month---My story, the prequel.   November Wagon of the Month---My story, the prequel. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

November Wagon of the Month---My story, the prequel.
Page 1 of 1